Changing Calibers on a Dillon Press

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI've learned a couple of things & I've used the press exclusively for 25 years.

Me, too.

Regards,
hm

I can't say that I generally have problems with the primer feed on mine but agree that it could be smoother. I haven't even had to really clean it regularly but there have been some times where it just got crudded up & I had to clean it to get it working right again. That upgrade looks worthy, though I wouldn't advise it on a new press for someone just getting started. Not as a necessity, any way.

I think I will buy one of those & check it out.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI can't say that I generally have problems with the primer feed on mine but agree that it could be smoother. I haven't even had to really clean it regularly but there have been some times where it just got crudded up & I had to clean it to get it working right again. That upgrade looks worthy, though I wouldn't advise it on a new press for someone just getting started. Not as a necessity, any way.

I think I will buy one of those & check it out.
It'll be money well spent.The whole feel of the press is way better like said it'll run smooth as glass.

let's see, starting out you do not *need*:

the low powder sensor.
roller handle
bullet tray
a powder measure for each tool head or even an extra powder measure, though not swapping charge bars is nice
the case feeder upgrade

the tool holder & wrench set is optional but really nice. if you don't have allen wrenches and a bench wrench, this could move to a "need"

the spare parts kit may be a need. I regard it as Murphy repellant. Yes, dillon will replace the parts, but that doesn't help if you lose or break one on a saturday evening & need to load some ammo.

you may or may not actually need the strong mount. it's purpose is primarily to raise the press up to a more comfortable height. well, I built my bench tall, for reloading while standing & I think that would raise it too high.

without the strong mount, some of the other stuff pictured in the catalog isn't needed.

you do need some akro bins, they're useful for all sorts of stuff.

for each caliber, you do need:

1 tool head
1 tool head stand
1 powder die
1 die set - for pistol I highly recommend the carbide sets, no case lube required. the dillon sets are great, if they make the caliber you need

either a complete conversion kit, or just the powder funnel if you have an existing conversion kit with the right shell plate.

Folks ,

Thank you for all the information , advice and tips you have generously contributed.

I have a couple of questions ; I have a Redding turret press mounted on an InLine Fabrication mount and a roller handle also . They both work well in that application .But I'm guessing the 550 is a bit higher press since the Redding only holds my dies and no powder measure or a high primer feeder with the alarm on top. I don't want to have to stretch to pull / push the handle.
So for those that use them what's your preference , the Dillon or after market .

I do think it best to wait until I've loaded on the 550 for a while before I buy anything except those LED lights .
Thank you once again for all your time and consideration.

Semper Fi
Soup

Last edited:
my rule of thumb is this:

you can always add something that you don't have.

my suggestion is to get the press & essentials, set it up & learn how to use it. then add accessories based on what you think you would really benefit from.

I didn't bother with a low powder sensor to start with, but you do have to make sure you don't run out of powder. that's not difficult, just look at the tube every few rounds. but I did get one later.

I didn't buy extra powder measures to start with, I swapped charge bars. then I found that for the powders I used in 30-06 I needed the magnum powder bar, so I bought one. Then I added a 2nd powder measure, put the magnum bar in it & left it alone. Later I added a 3rd, configured one small & one large & left them alone.

I've gone 25 years on the stock primer system, so clearly the after market upgrade is not a "need", not when it still works correctly. So while I do see that as an improvement, it's also a "for later" treat, not essential to learn how to load on it.

A few months ago I picked up a used Dillon 550 locally, only took a couple years of waiting for one to come up. It was part of an estate and the guy had no clue what the press was or was capable of. I picked it up for a good price as it had the strong mount, two tool heads, two powder dies and a couple conversion kits. Over the past several months I have grown to love the press, so has my wife now that ammo is "flowing" from the press.

Having been through this here is what I did. I brought the press home and mounted it, I already knew where it was going. Next I stripped it completely to the frame, every nut, bolt, spring and tube! The previous owner took care of it, but it hadn't been used in some time and needed a good cleaning. This showed me how the press worked AND got the press in good working order. While doing this I kept track of what I had and didn't have...primer pickup tubes and the small primer magazine tube were missing. When I had done a mock-run for 9mm and 5.56mm I found some other non-essentials (parts kit, etc.) I wanted and included them on the order list. Order a tool head for each caliber...set the dies and leave them, even if you move the powder measure. I am fortunate to have one setup for 5.56mm, one for 9mm and a third sitting on the shelf for whatever friend wants to make some ammo.

Once you have the parts and are ready to go, do as the others have said...GO SLOW! Trust me, I cleaned that press 3 times due to spilled powder! Turns out a bit of surface rust on the inside of the powder funnel will catch on a 5.56mm case lip and send powder everywhere...3 times before you figure it out. Some 600 grit sand paper and saying "serenity now" while buffing the powder die cured that issue. Get the feel of the tension needed on the shell plate, if there is too much the ball doesn't click well and too little where the shell wobbles...this also was an issue helping me spill powder.

I don't have the low powder alarm, brass feeder or other add-ons. I like the standard ball handle, I feel it helps give more feedback as to what it going on. Between feel in the handle and sound you can tell immediately when something is going sideways. Definitely put lights on the press, I did it via led strip lighting bought on Amazon which let me cut and solder pieces together to get exactly what I wanted for lighting. Watch YouTube videos when you have questions, there is a video for everything about the press.

When loading, never talk with anyone...it just doesn't work. Never leave the shell plate "half-full", run it empty and start fresh, it only takes a minute to keep things straight and seconds to screw them up! I've loaded a couple thousand rounds over the past couple of months and really enjoy the press now that I know the sounds and feel the press uses to "talk" to me. My production rate is probably well below what Dillon says the press is capable of, but I'd rather keep my fingers, eyes and weapons than have a higher production rate.

Welcome to PM, Tstorm.

Quote:I like the standard ball handle, I feel it helps give more feedback as to what it going on. Between feel in the handle and sound you can tell immediately when something is going sideways.

GO SLOW! When loading, never talk with anyone...it just doesn't work. Never leave the shell plate "half-full", run it empty and start fresh, it only takes a minute to keep things straight and seconds to screw them up!

Good advice^^^^^^^

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe 550 I have was the best fifty bucks I ever spent.

Greg

Darn, Greg, I thought I did good on a 450 for $125.

Regards.
hm

$50.00 got me the 550 and the BIG tumbler plus about $400.00 worth of tool heads, conversion plates etc. Another $50.00 got me about $400.00 worth of components and factory ammunition.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooter$50.00 got me the 550 and the BIG tumbler plus about $400.00 worth of tool heads, conversion plates etc. Another $50.00 got me about $400.00 worth of components and factory ammunition.

Greg

You should go to church and beg forgiveness because you STOLE those items for that price! Why can't I ever get the chance to sin like that? I must not be living right! Lol

Originally Posted By: Uncle JimboOriginally Posted By: GLShooter$50.00 got me the 550 and the BIG tumbler plus about $400.00 worth of tool heads, conversion plates etc. Another $50.00 got me about $400.00 worth of components and factory ammunition.

Greg

You should go to church and beg forgiveness because you STOLE those items for that price! Why can't I ever get the chance to sin like that? I must not be living right! Lol

It's the only best one I've gotten. Plus it was Thanksgiving Day!! lol

Greg

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe 550 I have was the best fifty bucks I ever spent.

Greg

Darn, Greg, I thought I did good on a 450 for $125.

Regards.
hm
I just got a 450 for 160.00 with 2 shell plates I didnt have picked up a auto primer for 59.00 on eBay small primer.bougth the auto eject and strong mounts for about 110.00 I also picked up the primer roller on eBay for 27.00 I'm using a lee auto drum for the powder drop scored that for 30.00 gonna set it up strictly for .223

Back