Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry White,
It sounds as though you have found an area that is heaven to a coyote man. Those four piles of scat means that there are coyotes using the trail alright. They follow cow paths and deer trails a lot. These trails are the path of least resistence in most cases. Now when you find a spot with a dozen or so scat piles right on top of each other it may well be a boundary marker. Don't worry about hurting your coyote population by hunting and shooting them. Natural dispersal of coyotes from other area's will fill any void you create. You may well make them smarter coyotes in that area, because you just never seem to manage to kill all of the buggers that you call. Coyotes come to the call real easy the first time they are called. They get smarter each time they have a bad encounter and survive it. Murry Burnham once told me that the coyotes teach their pups, and I happen to believe him. We have just as many coyotes around here as we ever did, but they don't call as easy as they once did. I never call a coyote until I am ready to kill it. If we could kill every coyote that we called, there would be no call shy coyotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whoa! Thanks for the definate info Mr Cronk!

I was thinking,maybe,just maybe,sneak just inside the boundaries, and sit for about 5 minutes and give a medium volume whoop whoop wwwaaaaaoooooooooooooooo! Challenge.
Should I challenge or greet? Will they come check out a greeting howl or would it be better to challenge? And should I do either in a young or old coyote howl? I find it very interresting to try to understand why these things do what they do. I will send for a killer call soon. jerryboy

Jerry White,
I like to begin with a lonesome sounding howl this time of the year. A lonely sounding howl of a younger coyote would probably be wise. If you get a vocal answer, try to imitate what the coyote just said. If you have heard no vocal response, wait quietly for three minutes after your first series of two or three howls. No customers yet? Repeat your howl sequence and wait silent for another three minutes. Still no customer? Go with your favorite prey distress. Good luck to you.

Mr Cronk, I begin with a lonesome howl often.
I learned it last year from reading a thread. It helped me learn what all the different howls mean.Thank you kindly for the lessons. What happened to those samples?
I cant find them. I practiced them a few days before I went out and they worked every time I tryed them. Thanks again and keep up the good word. Here are the kinds of numbers we have arround here. Where there are coyotes,there seem to be large #s,where there are not,they are unnoticable. A few months ago, I read a thread where a guy said he liked to just get up on high and sit and wait and watch. I like to do that too at times. jerryboy
---------------
Sorry Jerry, I had to whack your link to the other bulletin board. TOS violation.

Wow what a huge amount of information. It took me forever to read through all of this and I know there is no way my brain can absorb this much at one time. So that means I am going to have to read through it whole thread again. Though I did jot down some questions along the way and I am sure I will find more as I go back through it.

The land that I hunt is a lot like GC's out in Missouri. What type cover do coyotes usually bed down in? Do they typically use the very thick stuff or do they tend to bed down in the more open woods so they can use there eyes more?

Here in South Carolina our deer season runs forever and we are not suppose to small game hunt while big game season is going on and after deer season closes we can only hunt with rimfire rifles or shotguns with no greater shot than #4's. Which would you pick .22 Mag or the shotgun?
Jimmie and GC what type of gun do you use while hunting in the wooded areas?

Ronnie

Centerfire, I also have to use rimfire here in florida, and have been hunting with a 22 mag for four years now. Wouldn't trade it for anything, works at close range, plus you have the added range that a shotgun can't reach. I've killed yotes out to 150 yards, haven't had a need to try one out farther.
On an earlier post, the topic of rubber boots was being discussed. I once used rubber boots religiously, but have since stopped using them. I snuck in to the edge of an old clearcut to a cross roads with timber on one side and the clearcut on the other, I set up so I could see down three of the roads, figuring that I wouldn't need to see back the way I came. After calling for about 30 minutes and just setting for another 30, I got up to return to the truck and came face to face with a bobcat that had come down the trail I had. After the dust cleared, (i missed) I back track him and found he had followed me for close to 200 yards. After that, I started paying closer attention to whether or not cover scent was working, and found it didn't really make much difference. I will say though, I do use scent eliminator and wouldn't even consider going in without it.

Centerfire, with such limitations your only real choice is the 22 mag. Because of the expansion of coyote populations everywhere a lot of our laws are now outdated. Your's are definately behind the times. Jimmie

I can use centerfire rifles anytime of the year if I am hunting on private land. But if I am GMA land I have to use the rim fires. I am picking up new hunting land every day. So hopefully I won't have to hunt the GMA land very much.

I went throught this thread and copied it all to word format. I also done some editing on it and have it all in one file if anyone wants a copy of it to print. I knick named it Predator Hunting 101. If you want a copy put your email on here and I will send you one.

This is a good thread!

Centerfire223,you have mail.
I also have to use the rimfire's on wma's,my marlin 22wmr likes the new remington 33gr.v-max rounds.I'll limit my shots to 75-80yds.though.If you like a shotgun I've read the new Hevi-shot[remington ammo] is awesome.There was a thread onboard giving some info.a fellow involved in the R&D>>magnum #4 on a fox at 64yds.lasered 2 pellets in the head and 14 in body.Geese and turkey's killed at even greater distances.My boss at work told me they are unbelievable,he kills ducks at 75yds graveyard dead.A couple of those on a 50yd.coyote would probably do the job-nicely.
At $20 for 10 of them >aim real well..

I'd sure like to see the no centerfire's after deer season changed.It makes coyote hunting much harder and would make for quicker kills with a centerfire.---ME

How many folks are howling in the southeast? I have only gotten vocal responses on a couple of occasions, and barked at by coyotes on a couple more. I honestly don't think the coyotes around here are very vocal. Any information on techniques is appreciated.

Blake

My experience here in the South is they are not very vocal at all as compared to the other parts of the country I hunt. I do get some responses but very few. If they come in to a howl, it is quiet, in my experience. It may have to do with not having a yote enriched environment has other places, don't know but this is my theory.

Centerfire, My 22mag prefers the Federal Premium with the 30gr Sierra HPs. Of the ammo I've tried, the only other one that comes close is the standard CCI maxi-mag. The Remington not only wouldn't shoot in my gun accurately, but the stuff just blewup on contact. I have yet to try the Winchester Supreme ammo, and the CCI maxi-mag +V wouldn't shoot anything less than about 3 inches at a hundred yards. Federal is supposed to be coming out with some "experimental" ammo, but I haven't found any info on it as of yet. Not that I think any of this other ammo is bad, it just doesn't work in my gun. I have a friend that uses the Remington and shoots as accurately as I do, he can also shoot the CCI +V ammo just as well. It all depends on what your gun wants.
Blake, I've tried howling here in florida and have yet to get a response. I have used my howler to sound like a wounded or frightened pup and it has worked, I just need more practice and I think it will work better.

Grumpy I tried some of the Winchester ammo the other day and was stunned at the perforance. At 60 yards I was shooting 1/2 groups and with the CCI Max Mag V I was getting at least 1" groups. I have also tried the predator ammo made by PMC I think. It shot ok but you could tell by the sound it just wasn't as hot a round as the CCI. So far I have dropped a coyote and fox both in there tracks with my .22 Mag. But I don't like shooting them far off, I try to keep it at 75 yards or less.

I've dropped them as far as 125 yards, with shots out to 150 and recovered them, but I try to get them in closer. I give it a hundred yards, at that distance I know I will hit it, but at that point I always try to get it closer. Closest shot was 10 feet, that by the way was too close. I had a fox tail hanging under a sagebush about 20 yards in front of me and he came in from behind me, I never heard him until he was standing right next to me.

I have a question concerning howling. Has anyone gotten a response from howling during midday, or otherwise unexpected times to hear coyotes howl?

SRS 1,
Howling for the purpose of calling coyotes to the gun is still pretty new to most modern day callers. Coyotes here in the midwest do not often give a vocal response in answer to a howl during mid day. They do however, respond by silently approaching the sound of a strange coyote in their territory. I have had vocal responses to my day time howling in both texas and Arizona, but my Iowa coyotes come in silently most of the time.

Rich, I wasn't sure if it would spook the coyotes if I howled at an unusual time or not. We have been having an unusual warm spell this week, it's supposed to get close to 80 tomorrow. So I am going to go out tonight and do some calling. This morning I heard two groups of coyotes howling, so I howled to them, but as far as I know nothing responded. I wanted to move closer to them but it was so stinkin thick I knew I would just spook them. Been hearing from bowhunters that the coyotes have been chasing the deer around, so maybe I will try the fawn bleat. Thanks for answering my question.

SRS 1,
Howling during day time is ok to do. Two or three lonesome sounding howls followed by about three minutes of silence is the norm for me. Try not to howl too much. If no customers after two or three howling sequences, then try pup squeals. You will call more of the older and more aggressive coyotes this way but what the heck, it is exciting thing to do.

Thanks for the great thread!

I read a post recently in which the caller placed a rabbit carcass in such a position that any coyote trying to backdoor ("downwinderly") the caller would hit the rabbit scent cone first. He was calling in a right to left crosswind and placed the bunny 20 yards in front and slightly upwind, near his e-caller. I guess if hunting alone, a caller could also place one 20-30 yards behind his scent cone to divert those coming in from behind.

Anyone here ever used that method? Sounds like a good idea. We got tons of bunnies and I would think a guy could just freeze a couple, then thaw for the hunt, maybe 2-3 times. Or even keep what's left after cleaning them.

Called yesterday and got response from a nice 12 point buck that was looking to kick my howling butt. He came sneaking up a fenceline and wound up 3 feet on the other side of the cedar I was sitting under. He peeked under and scared the **** out of me, and I returned the favor. I actually got deer snot blown on my sleeve (I'm so proud, lol!). Also got close responses from crows and hawks from the bunny blues, but no coyotes that I could see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back