Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Advice Rich,

I'm constanly calling in birds of pray. I've noticed that my distress calls will even provoke a scream or two from hawk or golden. It seems that the ones that scream are in very close (Almost Scary Close) trying to figure out where the hell the rabbit is. I believe that they are attempting to scare the rabbit into moving by flying low to the ground and screaming.

Last spot i called in a yote, scared up four juvenile goldens. Coyotes definetly know the scream of a raptor.

Sorry guys, I got interupted by Turkey Season. Now that that is over with a Jake in the freezer, I can go back to those beautiful coyotes.

What you said is exactly what happened. The hawk screamed twice and then swooped down low from behind me. The shadow about gave me a heart attack coming from behind me.

Anyway, opening weekend of Turkey Season and I heard several coyotes howl early in the AM. (They were not guys blowing locator calls) I was hunting turkeys in a new spot this year and am going to give it a try for the coyotes this weekend. Lots of big fields connected by small 10 to 20 yard stands of trees and three distinct creek bottoms that are really pretty open with good visability. We'll see what happens. Deer should be dropping fawns in the next couple of weeks here, and I have the Fawn In Distress CD and a good fawn bleet that I have used to call in does during archery season. The rain we have had and is forcast for the next two days should make the woods nice and quiet. Things are greening up pretty good and the gillie suit ought to work quite well. I;ll let you know how Sunday goes.

it's been awhile since I checked on this thread, and I haven't posted on it, yet, but here goes.

Yesterday, May14,'03 I went calling, it being the 3rd day of the reopened-after-TurkeySeason-in Missouri... Anyhow, I gave about 4 challenge howls with barks, followed by a minute of pup whines... and there he is, at 175 yards, looking for what he had heard.

He gave me a wide-open shot, and somehow I missed!!!!! He ran about 50 yards to my right, staying about the same distance out, then he stopped for another look. BIG MISTAKE!!!! That time I didn't miss. He caught a 75 grain .250 Savage bullet in the boiler room, ran furiously for 25 steps, and folded.

He weighed about 27 pounds, was fat, and with good color. Hopefully, there will be many more this year. He made coyote #29 to come from an area of about 650-700 acres since March 2001, yet the population seems to be thriving. Of those 29, my son and I have killed 20, I think.

Is this a good area, or what???

Hey guys, we need to get this thing fired up and running again. It seemed to stall as the season closed!! Hopefully it will get rollin again now that huntin is starting to open up around the country. Hopefully the questions will start coming in.

For all you new guys that read this, please post something if it is just hi to keep the thread up top of the board for other new members to see. Don't forget to post any questions you might have. We need all the great information this board has to offer on this thread for newbie's!!

How many of you guys wear Rubber Boots, such as LaCrosse, in order to serve as a "scent Lock" so to speak while going to and leaving your set-ups. I know trappers wear them alot as well as put down rubber aprons on the ground while kneeling and working their sets.

And do you feel they do give you an advantage? Examples.

Pruson,
The idea does have merit, and I have used rubber boots a few times when bowhunting deer from a tree stand. When predator calling I think it would be a good idea to carry a spray bottle of fox urine to spray bottom of your boots when you get fairly close to your chosen stand. It would help keep incoming critters from spooking when they back door you and come across your tracks where you walked in.

Rich

I used to use cover scents alot, then I had an old retired Federal Game Warden that had turned to trapping tell me that "Cover scents only make the coyote or fox think that a human being is carrying a skunk or fox that pee'd on himself" He was a devote user of rubber boots, apron, drop cloth.

Guess I will try the rubber boots and find one of those old bottles of fox urine that I know is still around here somewhere. Combined, it has gotta work. Sure makes you think though!

Pruson,
I don't use cover scent very much these days, but the fox urine would help cover human odor from your boots when you walk in. Even the rubber boots will pick up odor from your truck, the quick shop where you stopped to pick up coffee and etc. Your trapper friend is not alone in his beliefs, but the fact is that the coyote will know you were there regardless of rubber boots and drop cloth.

Rubber boots make sense as lots of deer hunter wear them. If hunting in open country, don't think that would matter too much unless you are not working the wind. You can take a Q-Tip and dip it in your cover scent and toss it on the ground by your set up. Just don't think you need cover scent that much for callin. Thick cover callin might be different. What you think Rich?

Good question to get this started again.

Do we need to use cover scents??? Are cover scents important for callin predators??

Need some opinions here guys!! GC, Jimmy, etc.......

SteveM,
Cover scent is not mandatory when calling, and I haven't been using it for several years now. Playing the wind is the real secret. Now cover scent isn't going to hurt anything either, and it just MIGHT help in some situations. Some of the old timers have been using a mixture of rabbit/coyote, or rabbit/fox urine diluted with water and carried in a bottle that emits a fine mist of spray when you squeeze the handle. They spray a bit of that mixture into the air every few minutes to carry the enticing odor downwind of their position.

Someone says "forget the wind, just hunt". Well, I can't go that route either, but I will use everything that MIGHT possibly give me an edge, wouldn't you? Dropping a couple hundred dollars on underwear(scentblocker) is different though, some of that stuff is expensive.

I wear UN-insulated Lacrosse Rubber boots, when the weather permits. They fit tight around the ankle for good stablity while walking in. And yes, they stay in the bed of my truck with the pine needles and etc that accumulate there up under the toolbox, no oil or by products up in there. I am looking for something like Rockies with 600 grams thinsulate / with a rubber sole and side. Progress marches on.....

Pruson,
Rocky makes a leather insulated boot that is supposed to be scent supprescent. I can't recall the exact name for it, heck it may be "Rocky Scent Supprescent Boots." That may be worth looking into. Typical leather construction that makes long hikes in rough terrain easier, insulated for cold weather, neater and trimmer than rubber or pac type boots.

That still will not keep scent from the soles of the boot from scattering odd & end scent around if a guy walks around in these before hunting with them. You know, fill up the gas tank on the way to the woods, walk around the Quick Mart, ect... I don't do that sort of thing and still spray my boots exterior and interior with the spray scent nuetrilizer.

I still adhere to the thought that knowing the wind direction and walking into an area with the wind in your face, keeping the backtrail as the only contaminated area is the best method. This way you know where the coyote can bust you scent wise. Now you can take steps to prepare for, or, maybe even prevent that from happening. Using scent supprescent clothing and oder nuetrilizers, cover scents, ect... may help the hunter. Certainly can't hurt, though I wonder if you used too much cover scent if that may be detrimental. I think for the most part these are confidence builders. Like you, I try to take every precaution and control as much of the many factors on a calling stand as I can. Doing this gives me confidence that I'm doing all that can be done to give myself the best odds of killing a called critter from that stand.

I was out hunting this morning and saw/smelled a scratched up area that stunk of coyote urine. I assume this is a scent post of sorts. My question is, does it mean anything? And, what technique would be proper for this area?
I was thinking that if it's territorial, I would want to trigger an aggressive response, right?

SRS 1,
That spot could in fact be a territory marker. I would expect to see a lot of coyote droppings there also, but this may not always be the case. Either way, I would call that area just like any other area that I knew was being used a lot by coyotes. If you are after a livestock killer or other old aggressive coyote, then starting the stand with lonesome howls is a good idea. The pups of the year will be coming to prey distress sounds real well right now, so use of a rabbit or bird distress sound is probably the way to go. Howling works year around, but you will call mostly the older coyotes with that method.

SRS 1, I find such markers at the borders of territories quite often.But it tells me where they are at night when I can't hunt them. Take a good look at the creek draineage where you found it. Right now you want to look for bedding areas exposed to the prevailing winds to help them keep cool during the day. Later you need to look for areas where they will be protected from winters worst winds. Find the feeder fields in between the bedding areas and the markers. Once you locate the possibles look for the travel lanes connecting them all together. Try not to overthink all of this info, let your instincts guide you. Jimmie

Hey guys,
Had a couple questions,Scat!

I was scouting yesterday in one of my favorite game intersections and noticed 4 piles of scat on a well used trail. I think I have picked up on a main travel route. Are coyotes mainly a creature of habit? I know they will be in the same area at the same time of day at times but I was wondering what the 4 piles of scat meant? Are they feeding near by? What would they be eating this time of year and is it coincidence that there were 4 piles of scat within 50 yds? Think it was 4 coyotes or 4 passes by? This is a major intersection of miles of woods and as Jimmy said, it is in route to a field they fight over and mouse/bird hunt in. These coyotes are very numerous and as a friend and I were scouting last week,2 ran across the road right in front of us.

Another way out question. I hunt on a state land area that is 2291 acres. Last year I shot 8 coyotes in the last 10 days of the season. From 2 spots. There were 30+coyotes that I tracked after the morning snows that I didn't get.My question was;Will the coyotes I did kill be replaced with this years pups or can permanant damage be done if I take too many this year? It doesn't seem like I slowed the traffic down much as I seen lots of sign this week.

I almost jump out of my boots when I read Cronks posts. I re-read the first few posts yesterday and we seem to hunt alike.(although he is more expierenced) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I look for ridges and always try to elevate myself and get the view advantage.Ridges are my mainstay. Nice to read someone else uses the land to help with the hunt.
I am ready for this year. My guns are screaming for fur and I have more ammo than what's right.
Thanks again guys for the awesome thread and keep it coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif jerryboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back