Brass for accuracy

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a Sendero in 7 Mag. I have dug through all my stuff and came up with some brass for the rifle. I have Win, R-P, and a very few FC. All has been fire through an Encore with what seems to be a large chamber because full length sizing still leaves me with a tuff chambering round. Case OAL is varies on the Winny brass from .005 to .016 over reccommend lenght. The rifle was bought for mainly long range shooting with very little hunting in mind. Mainly target shooting.
Should I:
1) Scrape it all and buy new quality brass
2)polish,trim,anneal,and resize
I know none of it has very few firings cause I didn't keep the Encore very long. But I'm also not sure where it all came from either. If I use the old stuff, which is better, Winchester of Remington. I usually lean towards the Winchester in my other rifles. Thanks

PsychoPuppy.

Encore's are cute and flexible. That being said, the design of a break open is also "flexible" and does not allow for consistent headspace. They flex. Headspace of fired cases is going to be all over the place. The cases tend to separate in front of the head - and if you have that much variation ib case length, toss them.

Your Sendero has minimum headspace, and your full length die does not.

I am currently having the very same problem with a Rem VSF in 22-250. I have 300+ cases that I have been babying for ~35 years from rifle to rifle, but this time, the chamber in "very" minimum, and with two FL dies and two body dies, I still have a serious "crush" on closing the bolt - the cases will eventually shoot out and fit, but right now, it is a PITA.

Scrap the brass and start from scratch.

Originally Posted By: Darkker

"Winchester doesn't make powder OR brass cases anymore; haven't for quite a while now...."

Same factories, same people, same unions, same everything, except the corporate name on the titles.

But it would be nice if they hired a few inspectors and figured out how to pack the stuff better.

Originally Posted By: joekingOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a Sendero in 7 Mag. I have dug through all my stuff and came up with some brass for the rifle. I have Win, R-P, and a very few FC. All has been fire through an Encore with what seems to be a large chamber because full length sizing still leaves me with a tuff chambering round. Case OAL is varies on the Winny brass from .005 to .016 over reccommend lenght. The rifle was bought for mainly long range shooting with very little hunting in mind. Mainly target shooting.
Should I:
I know none of it has very few firings cause I didn't keep the Encore very long. But I'm also not sure where it all came from either. If I use the old stuff, which is better, Winchester of Remington. I usually lean towards the Winchester in my other rifles. Thanks

or you can give these a whirl

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-eq...-prod39926.aspx

Those will make the problem worse.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: joekingOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a Sendero in 7 Mag. I have dug through all my stuff and came up with some brass for the rifle. I have Win, R-P, and a very few FC. All has been fire through an Encore with what seems to be a large chamber because full length sizing still leaves me with a tuff chambering round. Case OAL is varies on the Winny brass from .005 to .016 over reccommend lenght. The rifle was bought for mainly long range shooting with very little hunting in mind. Mainly target shooting.
Should I:

How do you figure that? They certainly won't cause the case to be sized less.

Originally Posted By: joekingOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: joekingOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a Sendero in 7 Mag. I have dug through all my stuff and came up with some brass for the rifle. I have Win, R-P, and a very few FC. All has been fire through an Encore with what seems to be a large chamber because full length sizing still leaves me with a tuff chambering round. Case OAL is varies on the Winny brass from .005 to .016 over reccommend lenght. The rifle was bought for mainly long range shooting with very little hunting in mind. Mainly target shooting.
Should I:

How do you figure that? They certainly won't cause the case to be sized less.

You should NEVER recommend loading tools that you haven't used.

You should NEVER recommend loading tools that you know nothing about.

These shell holders WILL cause the cases to be sized less.

These shell holders WILL cause the case head to shoulder length to get longer.

Originally Posted By: joekingOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a Sendero in 7 Mag. I have dug through all my stuff and came up with some brass for the rifle. I have Win, R-P, and a very few FC. All has been fire through an Encore with what seems to be a large chamber because full length sizing still leaves me with a tuff chambering round. Case OAL is varies on the Winny brass from .005 to .016 over reccommend lenght. The rifle was bought for mainly long range shooting with very little hunting in mind. Mainly target shooting.
Should I:

Wish I had these last week I had a hornady die that was to long and it wasnt even makin contact with the shoulder, I had to grind a shellholder down to make it work, but then the shellholder was way to thin, so I sh!t canned the whole thing and bought a new set of rcbs dies

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: joekingOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a Sendero in 7 Mag. I have dug through all my stuff and came up with some brass for the rifle. I have Win, R-P, and a very few FC. All has been fire through an Encore with what seems to be a large chamber because full length sizing still leaves me with a tuff chambering round. Case OAL is varies on the Winny brass from .005 to .016 over reccommend lenght. The rifle was bought for mainly long range shooting with very little hunting in mind. Mainly target shooting.
Should I:

Wish I had these last week I had a hornady die that was to long and it wasnt even makin contact with the shoulder, I had to grind a shellholder down to make it work, but then the shellholder was way to thin, so I sh!t canned the whole thing and bought a new set of rcbs dies

They would not have helped. They effectively make the sizing longer, not shorter.

(Never grind shell holders)

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: joekingOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a Sendero in 7 Mag. I have dug through all my stuff and came up with some brass for the rifle. I have Win, R-P, and a very few FC. All has been fire through an Encore with what seems to be a large chamber because full length sizing still leaves me with a tuff chambering round. Case OAL is varies on the Winny brass from .005 to .016 over reccommend lenght. The rifle was bought for mainly long range shooting with very little hunting in mind. Mainly target shooting.
Should I:

They would not have helped. They effectively make the sizing longer, not shorter.

(Never grind shell holders)

Yea didnt feel right, so thats why I just bought a new set of dies.

again how do you know this? do you have them on your bench? I do, i have 2 rifles with custom chambers, without those tools i would have a very hard time closing my bolt on either rifle. I also have die sets that cost me over 250 each. So please explain to me how it is you know what is on my reloading bench and what i use, while your at it would you mind telling me what load i used in my 7mag this year.

Originally Posted By: joekingagain how do you know this? do you have them on your bench? I do, i have 2 rifles with custom chambers, without those tools i would have a very hard time closing my bolt on either rifle. I also have die sets that cost me over 250 each. So please explain to me how it is you know what is on my reloading bench and what i use, while your at it would you mind telling me what load i used in my 7mag this year.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: joekingwould you mind telling me what load i used in my 7mag this year.

You used 160 grn Nosler partition with 58gns IMR4350, rem brass and CCI250's. Your welcome, glad to help.
grin.gif

Quote: (Never grind shell holders)

If you do your gun will blow up!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chucknbachOriginally Posted By: joekingwould you mind telling me what load i used in my 7mag this year.

You used 160 grn Nosler partition with 58gns IMR4350, rem brass and CCI250's. Your welcome, glad to help.
grin.gif

wink.gif

lol.gif
w00t.gif
7 funny man right there!

Originally Posted By: joekingagain how do you know this? do you have them on your bench? I do, i have 2 rifles with custom chambers, without those tools i would have a very hard time closing my bolt on either rifle. I also have die sets that cost me over 250 each. So please explain to me how it is you know what is on my reloading bench and what i use, while your at it would you mind telling me what load i used in my 7mag this year.

You have a case that is a few thou longer than your "custom" chamber, and it is hard to close the bolt using a standard shell holder - but these comp shell holders make it possible to easily close the bolt??

How do these shell holders make it possible to easily close the bolt?

You're a liar. It is that simple!

Go down to your loading bench, and write down the markings on the comp shell holders - then come back and post them here, and explain what they mean, and how they make it possible to chamber cases that would otherwise be hard to chamber.

Or, put it another way, you have a case that when sized with a standard shell holder, has a measurement to the datum line of 2.000"... What would the measurements be with each of the five comp shell holders?? How do these shell holders make your cases shorter?

I triple dare you.

You have been called.

Originally Posted By: chucknbachOriginally Posted By: joekingwould you mind telling me what load i used in my 7mag this year.

grin.gif

wink.gif

Thats a sissy load for a 7mag, live on the edge alittle

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: chucknbachOriginally Posted By: joekingwould you mind telling me what load i used in my 7mag this year.

grin.gif

wink.gif

It is. He should use a something with a little more umph.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chucknbachOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: chucknbachOriginally Posted By: joekingwould you mind telling me what load i used in my 7mag this year.

grin.gif

wink.gif

It is. He should use a something with a little more umph.

how bout 70.5gr h1000 168gr Berger Classic Hunter 215M

Originally Posted By: pyscodogjoeking-I believe you've been called out!! What say Ye??

really! Guys just lookin for an argument, notice he never really offered up anything usfull, just oh that wont work. I blocked him when i noticed it, no time for asses like that. I never saw where he called me out, but poppin of from behind a keyboard is pretty chicken IMO. If he had pair he'd have contacted me directly.

Back