Black Coyotes?

Pretty rare here in NE Ohio. 14 years of Coyote hunting with 30-80 year and have only seen 2. Chased the one for 3 years with NV before killing him, then 6 months later was delightfully surprised with another.(Had no idea was with Thermal) when I retrieved it.

Attachments

• DmS2OtPoQXCZjnecl%tY9g.jpg
    DmS2OtPoQXCZjnecl%tY9g.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 43
  • MXAzjlVbRAqtdxbuFYgNNw.jpg
    MXAzjlVbRAqtdxbuFYgNNw.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 41
  • fullsizeoutput_1511.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1511.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 41
  • slb0UF2FRi2E8Jwj8U1d8g.jpg
    slb0UF2FRi2E8Jwj8U1d8g.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 44
Black is just a melanistic anomaly in animals. I used to catch black beavers in northern MN. Sorry no pics, long before cell phones. I did tan one, put it on a hoop and gave it as a house warming gift for a lake cabin. Hooped with a couple old #4 long springs hanging with it looked good on the pine panel wall.

Eastern Ontario, Canada here. I had one twice at a
20211125_061122.jpg
bait pile last year...but I could not get off a shot either time.
Here is the closest I have shot. Last year as well

I've seen 1000s of coyotes hunting Mn, Sd,Nd ,Mt
There is a small area in Mn where the genetics are there.
We've taken several.
I actually think they are ugly. Never seen on with a nice full pelt like a normal silver/ Grey.

I have called in 8 black coyotes over the years. All were from the eastern edge of Texas to Georgia. Called 4 of them in Mississippi.

I have shot a couple dark phase coyotes here in Central NY but nothing I would consider a “black” coyote. However, I am hoping to catch up with this one that I caught on one of my trail cams in September of 23’ Closest thing to black that I have ever seen from the areas that I hunt.

Last edited:
been on my bucket list for a long time seen two in daytime about 10 yrs ago in southern indiana but could not get permission to hunt them on the farm where they was at

Keith, My first called coyote was similar to your black one in the top photo. Called it practically into my lap. He was a beautiful coyote. He approached from the opposite side of where my gun was pointing, and appeared over a ridge less than 15 yards from me. It happened quick, he saw me first, then winded me and was off and gone before I could get off a shot. I have been having convulsions ever since.

Nice going! Thanks for sharing. You wonder how that happens. I use to hunt in an area that had black squirrels year after year. No big deal, you knew it. And I’ve hunted an area my whole life, that I saw one black squirrel, one year, and that’s it.

P
Got a rare one

Not sure where this belongs, but since it is intended as an educational thread (for my own edification), lets try Hunting 101. The above post prompts the following question.

I've hunted coyotes seriously for a bit over 20 years, and ever since I saw the first black one on PM, getting a black one was high on my bucket list, and chances of doing so in the future are very slim to none. Well, I have yet to see one, let alone get a shot at one. This is the closest thing to black that I have ever seen in S. TX brush country.
View attachment 4189
I cannot recall anyone hunting in the west (not exactly sure where that border actually is ;) ) ever posting pictures of a black one. Now for the question.
Are there only black ones in the east, or has anyone, say west of the Mississippi, seen or shot a black coyote?
All you guys & gals that have shot (or seen) black coyotes, let us know the state in which it was spotted and if you've been lucky enough to get one, lets see your pictures. Thanks!
Black coyotes are seen more and more in pa

Quite a few I’m East Texas. I have seen two myself, one was called in Hunting with Venatic. I have seen game camera picks of a bunch and know a couple of people who have killed them here.

Back