Black Coyotes?

hm1996

Staff member
Got a rare one
Quick vid cause it was tight. She flopped down the hill about 10-12 yds. 3rd one of this color I have killed over the years. 1 at 8:50 am, 1 with red lights, and this one.
Not sure where this belongs, but since it is intended as an educational thread (for my own edification), lets try Hunting 101. The above post prompts the following question.

I've hunted coyotes seriously for a bit over 20 years, and ever since I saw the first black one on PM, getting a black one was high on my bucket list, and chances of doing so in the future are very slim to none. Well, I have yet to see one, let alone get a shot at one. This is the closest thing to black that I have ever seen in S. TX brush country.
1702836210433.png

I cannot recall anyone hunting in the west (not exactly sure where that border actually is ;) ) ever posting pictures of a black one. Now for the question.
Are there only black ones in the east, or has anyone, say west of the Mississippi, seen or shot a black coyote?
All you guys & gals that have shot (or seen) black coyotes, let us know the state in which it was spotted and if you've been lucky enough to get one, lets see your pictures. Thanks!

From what I understand the black variant is from crossbreeding with red wolves in the past at some point. Red wolves were from the south east and had a black variant. Coyotes came in and basically bred red wolves out of existence.

The other heresay that I’ve heard is that a lot of the Midwest coyotes were brought up from Texas by tree farmers to keep rabbit populations down in tree nurseries, which is why their fur is crap. lol. Did shoot a 47 pounder though in Illinois.

Started seeing coyotes in the mid seventies in n Illinois ,before that red and grey fox. They had the grey fox gone very shortly. Sorry I went on a roll but this stuff is right up my alley.

I called one in at the convention in northern NV, two guys with me and we didn't get a shot. My old bird hunting and sometimes coyote hunting partner saw one grouse hunting in western WA.

We did call ing one that was coloured like a golden retriever and I passed on it thinking it was somebody's bird dog.

Most of ours are light red to blonde, I guess you'd say. Some have a bit of black sprinkled in, but not a lot.

1702858119779.jpeg
1702858294799.jpeg

Many years ago, one of the properties I used to hunt had a black alpha male and red alpha female. When I first saw the red, it was after we shot the first coyote out of the woodline. One he was kiyi'ing after being shot, the two of them jumped out of the tree line. We missed both of them. The red one looked almost like a golden retriever.

The next winter, I saw them both again. The red one wasn't lucky enough for me to miss that time. At first I thought it was a red fox. Turned out to be a 26 pound coyote... Can't seem to find the pic.

I've often wondered the same thing. I hunt SE CO and have never seen one. I know they'd be be fairly rare in the first place but seems most black coyotes I've seen pics of or heard about have been back east. We get some that have some red in them from time to time but most are nice light colored dogs. Would like to see/shoot one someday but for now I'm happy with what we have! Too bad the bottom fell out on hides. Used to skin every one I shot but only skin the best now and stock pile for better days to come (hopefully)!

From what I understand the black variant is from crossbreeding with red wolves in the past at some point. Red wolves were from the south east and had a black variant. Coyotes came in and basically bred red wolves out of existence.
There was a lady that DNA tested red wolves and it turned out they were nothing other than a coyote gray wolf cross. That upset the animal wackos. You cant protect a species unless it is a species...Endangered SPECIES Act. Hybrids aren't species....and probably all caused by global warming.:ROFLMAO:

I saw a black coyote along a sand quarry behind my house here in Pa. I was looking for arrowheads when I saw it, at first I saw a tannish reddish one go off to the side of the old quarry road I was walking on and when I turned my head back a much larger coal black coyote was crouched down looking at me in the middle of the road, when our eyes met it took off. Thought maybe I could get it, went out and bought a handheld call and set up across the quarry to be able to shoot at anything on that old road and other openings.
That was my first attempt at trying to hunt coyotes, I probably sounded like a 200 lb. rabbit and I saw nothing!!!! :LOL:
I shot a red one while deer hunting across from the Pocono Raceway at Long Pond Pa., it didn't have the long nose like most coyotes that I've seen, the nose was wider, shorter, and blunter ???

Killed 3 here in WV 1 was solid black with small white circle on it's chest. The other 2 were black, but ugly. They had different features than other coyotes I have killed.

Over the years we have killed several black phase here in NC. Here is the first one I saw way back in 2011.
38594673010_32ec0d2853_w.jpg

And a few others since:

45406417045_bc273a2684_w.jpg

This was the first of a black pair we killed on one stand.
26929201888_92d27196c4.jpg

Didn't find the second one until the next day when the eagles had started on it. Actually, it was a triple , and I killed the third one (a regular looking coyote) at 380 yds. with my 243.
50502864753_3566c8c255_w.jpg

This one fell in a ditch after my partner shot it.
27550683478_4c0a773b56.jpg

My partner had called this one in a couple of weeks earlier and missed the shot.
He couldn't go this night a couple of weeks later, and couldn't believe it when I sent him this picture.
39904455225_7cf01b0c63.jpg

Our most recent one is from a double last spring. My partner shot the black one (female) and I got the male.
#6162a.jpg

Here is another one.
49671076072_8e65271062.jpg

Then we have some that aren't totally black but close to it. Like this one I killed.
26234788878_fa49a5fa7b_z.jpg

And some others also not totally black, but with dark markings like this one my partner killed , rather unique.
39663179254_e21e91afb7_n.jpg

I've had reports of several sightings of black ones this year, but we haven't seen one so far. They are always special when we get chance to take one.

We get black coyotes here in Minnesota. They are rare but they are around. I passed on 1 a few years back due to the hound hunters were chasing it when it came by. Another group I know got 4 from a small area. So pockets of them get breed and have black litters

Southern Utah here and I've never seen a black coyote here, Nevada or Arizona where I normally hunt... would love to go east though and get one someday if any of ya'll wanna invite me out for some shooting sometime lol

Back