Black coyote????

Maybe that's a coyote and maybe it's not, maybe it's a coydog and maybe it's not. It may even be one of them Indian dogs or just someones mut that took a long walk. Not untill the last few years have I ever heard of different colored coyotes, has the gene pool changed that fast? All the books I've read by the oldtimers have never said anything about coyotes changing spots so to speak. You guys need some kind of proff these black and off colored animals are for real coyotes or even cross breeds. I mean, I can kill a dog with coyote features and say I got a coydog, I could even shoot someones German shepard and say I killed a wolf and most people would'nt even know the difference. I'm trying to give you guys something to think about here. What are you calling coyotes and do you have proff? What ever the case, Good Hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Danny , the only sure way of know if that is a coyote is a DNA test. The coyotes you kill, Are they really coyotes? What proof do you have? I'm not being ugly about this and I know you aren't either, but if it looks like a coyote, sounds like a coyote, smells like a coyote, acts like a coyote , well you know the rest. And I know your arguement is It doesn't look like a coyote to you. If I were in your neck of the woods I'd feel the exact same way. But for the past 15 yrs. I have been seeing black coyotes. This just so happens to be close to the time coyotes begain populate my areas. So this is the coyote that I know, just like the common colored coyote is the coyote you know. I tend to take your side on the coydog, only because I have yet to see one. I can say that as for the black coyotes they do run with common colored coyotes that you wouldn't have any trouble accepting.

Cory

DannyB and Cory,
I live in Northern WV I saw all late summer a black and white coyote male he mated with a white but not albino female and she bore 4 pups that are all 4 normal colored.
I watched them thru a spotting scope at about 600yds. they sure act and look exactly like coyotes except for color.
As mentioned above a friend has them on video,I've seen the video.
He showed the video to Tom Bechdel a "Coyote Expert" who told him the were definitely coyotes.
The 4 pups look just like normal colored coyotes.
I believe these color variations are from inter breeding with either dogs or wolves somewhere down the line.
But with seeing the family I'm telling about the color variations appartently don't come out every litter even if both parents are "odd colored"
I suppose only DNA work could answer the question.

Stan shot this one last january.
fcb4b594.jpg

It's another typical black bodied yote with the white star chest patch. I belief this is the key to telling wethier or not it is a real yote or not, by the white chest star.

Jeff C, this could be a huge coincidence. I do a lot of taxidermy and I was wanting a black coyote to mount for myself. We'll last year this trapper guy (Gary Casper) caught 2 black ones the same morning and he gave me one a gave the other one to another taxidermy buddy of mine. It is possible if that picture was taken last year, I may have that same coyote mounted in my shop.

Cory

Sorry guys, you are not going to convince me that those are black 100% coyotes and you are not going to convince me that there is such a thing as a coyote expert. But I well admit this is a very interesting subject lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Danny B,
I think theres something mixed in somewhere somehow too_Ours aren't little runts you folks have either.We have all different color variations and ours can be twice the size as yours.
The colors an sizes mean something.Possibly wolf,dog or both.
But whatever they are they for the most parts look and act just like normal colored coyotes and are as wild as the wind.

My cousin once had a coyote cross. Beautiful litte dog. Funny thing though, her tail curled just like a dogs.Even had a blocky head like a dog. Everything else was coyote as far as color pattern. One thing I notice in all these photos' of black coyote's is the straight tail. Thats what I go by in the field on the ones that look a bit iffy. Cone shaped head and a straight tail.Jimmie

A biologist for a major University told me on a different site a few months ago, "there are no true coyotes east of the mississippi river" . I'm not sure what charactoristics a true coyote has over inbreds . But like rws2 says......I think the coyotes in the east are in generaly quite a bit larger than any I have seen while hunting "out west". Whatever they are....their eating every cat in the neighborhood ,and I have personally witnessed only 2 coyotes take down and kill a healthy yearling deer. In my area...the coyote has actually changed some anti-hunters to....."yes, maybe they do need to be thinned out a bit".

I HAVE WORKED ABOUT 8 YEAR FOR A FOX RANCHER WITH WELL OVER 15,000 FOX, IMAINLY WORKED A-I BREEDING FOR DIFFERENT COLOR VARIATIONS, JUST FOR THE RED FOX ALONE THEIR ARE ROUGHLY 40 -45 DIFFERENT COLORS ONE WHICH IS QUITE COMMON THE SILVERFOX. THEIR ARE FOX THAT LOOK BLUE, PINK,BURGUNDY,AMBER JUST TO NAME A FEW IT JUST TAKES THE RIGHT CRITTER WITH THE RIGHT CRITTER GENES TO BASICALY TO MAKE A MUTATED COLOR. I DONT HAVE A PHD. BUT IWOULD SAY ABLACK COYOTE IS A BLACK COYOTE.

I've read posts from people who are "in to" wolves and claim that "the black wolf is the loner..." They talk about them as some mystical anomoly.. What a load of **** ! It's a color phase, you're right.

D

I have been seeing Black coyotes here for 15 years or so. From my wildlife biology classes somewhere inthe past I believe the are interbred with dogs. The classic mongrel dog moves toward the appearance of a large black coyote.

Ralph in Michigan

Jeremy,

Yes, there are black coyotes as stated and shown above. There could very easily be some in your area. I have a taxidermist friend just south of you in Okalhoma that has a full body mount of one...and it has no dog in it.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Back