Black cat

Most people are not used to seeing big cats and in the dim light of night sudden appearances can be deceiving. Without a frame of reference a bobcat and even a large domestic tomcat can be very deceiving to the eye. I've had both get me to wondering until I thought the sighting out.
Mountain lion sightings are increasing in areas of Kansas and our dramatically growing whitetail herd is probably attracting big cats into the region and keeping them there. I've seen evidence of big cats but never actually seen one in person... and I'm out in the toolies a lot. Very elusive animals. Frankly, I think people see what they see and attach a frame of reference to the sighting... something that makes sense to them but like bigfoot show me the evidence before I'll believe it.

Quote:
What I'm constantly amazed by is the people (some apparently whose career is to tell others what does and doesn't exist) that are so quick to jump in and make a guy feel stupid for thinking they saw a certain animal in a certain place. If anyone thinks they know beyond a shadow of a doubt EVERY kind, size, shape and color of EVERY animal in a certain location---yeah right. In fact, there are animals that exist in my home area that I have never seen--does this mean I don't believe they exist--absolutely not--I figure I simply have not seen them. I don't expect that in my time out in the woods every animal that exists is going to walk up to me, shake my hand and introduce themselves. (Hi, I'm an albino deer, I just wanted to say Hi to make sure you do know that I exist)

Not sure if that was directed at me, but if it was, I have thick skin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can't say that I know everything that exists in a given area or range, and I agree that we never see most of the wildlife that does exist in a given area.

Quote:
there are animals that exist in my home area that I have never seen--does this mean I don't believe they exist--absolutely not--I figure I simply have not seen them.

Do you think there are some that no one has ever seen or proven to exist? Your example of an albino deer, has certainly been proven to exist numberous times.

If a black "panther" or mountain lion had ever been proven to exist in any location, I guess we might be apt to believe it.

Quote:
that are so quick to jump in and make a guy feel stupid for thinking they saw a certain animal

How a person feels when faced with certain facts is not the fault of the person presenting the facts.

It is much easier to prove that something does exist, than to prove that it does not. In fact, I'm not sure how you go about proving that something does NOT exist. I think things are usually thought not to exist until they are proven to exist.

Logic and reason seem to be working backwards in this regard.

I live about 20 minutes from the KY/TN border and we have suffered from numerous black cat sightings. I've had a very credible best friend of mine attest to that along with his parents. they had no reason to lie to me and i honestly believe them, maybe not that it was a panther indeed but i know they saw something. for this story picture a little country road, mostly farmers living in the area, lots of open land, on one hill is their house, on the opposite side is another pasture on a hillside. one day years back when all the stories where going around the area a very frightened neighbor came running to their front door and was trying to beat the door down. this was in the afternoon in good light, clear sunny day as i'm told, they all ran out on the porch and he was telling them about what he had saw and could barely speak, looking across to the opposite hillside there was allegedly a very large "black" cat, now i have saw proof of mt. lions around but that i cant say for sure. its how someone wants to take it.

Yellowhammer...I'm not taking shots at you and I know you don't believe in a "black" cougar in the states but stranger things have happened. There have been newly discovered species that have just "appeared" out of nowhere...I don't personally believe it myself but what does it hurt to let these guys have their own beliefs?

Yeah, yeah, I know the concrete evidence but how would you like it if someone told you that you couldn't believe something because THEY found it to be obsurd?

There are definately black bobcats, although I think that they have only been documented here in Florida.

http://www.bigcats.org/abc/catspecies/blackbobcats.html

A few weeks ago I observed a very dark bobcat, although I would not say that it was truly "black." It had a very dark back, it was the darkest coat that I have ever seen in the wild. It could have been wet, as I recal that the weather was poor.

I also have a trail camera pic I got a few months ago that I suspect is a black bobcat, but the picture is really too grainy to say for sure. It could also be a doverman pincher. Give me some time to figure out how to post the pic here on this forum and I'll have it up.

Last edited:
Here is a pic I got from a trail cam on the family farm a few months ago. It *might* be a black bobcat, or it might be a doverman, or it might be a spider monkey. Who knows. I have gotten a few nice bobcat pics from this feeder, and this is about 5-6 miles away from where I saw the dark bobcat a few weeks ago. It appears to have a bobbed tail and pointed ears when viewed in a photo-editor, but that means that it could still be a doverman.

Anyhow, I think its a neat pic non-the-less, mystery pics always are.

MysteryPic3~0.jpg

WOW a lot of exciting info what have i been miising all this time. I live in east tn where everyone and there brother has seen a " Black Cat" shoot I was on duty one night and heard a deputy come over the radio and tell dispatch he saw a " Large Black Cat attacking a cow in a field" If it were me I woulda shot it savin livestock lol. I have NEVER seen any evidence or anything of the like. And I hate to say it when im not fighting fire I own a small photography buisiness, and the black cat photo above is superimposed in a back ground. Someone took a photo of Jaguar off the net went into photoshop or some close program Colored it then superimpossed the image on a path in the woods. heck I can show you a picture of myself in paris but I aint never been there. the tell tell signs are look at the shadowing. around the feet. look real close does it lok realistic to you? Im with the others on here show me REAL proof and ill buy it. only Black cats in TN are of the Housecat variety. Gosh I hope No one calls and wants me to get one of those " Large Black Cats out of a tree" I had a hard enough time with pebbles last march. Id say DECK GUN TIME. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
like. And I hate to say it when im not fighting fire I own a small photography buisiness, and the black cat photo above is superimposed in a back ground. Someone took a photo of Jaguar off the net went into photoshop or some close program Colored it then superimpossed the image on a path in the woods.

Whoa buddy. Your calling me a liar and I HIGHLY RESENT that. You better be very careful about calling someone a liar who you don't even know. I got that picture just as it is on the family farm a few months ago west of Ocala, FL.

It may or may not be a black bobcat, but it definately is NOT a black jaguar and I did not claim that it was.

Assuming that the animal is walking from left to right, it appears to have a little bob-tail and it seems that its head is sitting above the shoulders looking backwards and it has pointed ears. That looks nothing like a jaguar. Now, that could make it a bobcat or that could make it a domestic dog. You decide. Most people seem to think its a dog.

If fine for you to disagree that animal in the pic is a black bobcat. But DON'T YOU DARE sit there and accuse me of lying. Do you want the original file? Shouldn't the original show signs of tampering in the code if it was photoshopped? I've got it right here if you want it.

Although I'm new here, I've been around JHO for a while and I think that some of veterans there would vouch for my honesty. Its a sorry thing for you to do to attack my character and tarnish my name right off the bat and I highly resent it. You better weigh your words and be sure of what you say before you attack someone's character like that.

Last edited:
I do appoligize to Bullgrog. I was not referencing his photo. While i was posting my Writing he posted his so his appeared before mine. A big confussion so i do appoligize to you bullfrog. The photo I was referencing was the one way up on the board. And I was in no way calling anyone on this board a liar. I was merely saying that the photo was not a true photo. It was most likely taken from the net along with the information. Sorry if I made ya jumpy bullfrog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I accept your apology instantdeath and I sincerly apologize to you for jumping on you in the forum like this before I knew what you were talking about. It didn't cross my mind that you might have been refering to another pic.

Let everyone know that instantdeath done me no wrong and that I was wrong to get so defensive so quick. If anything, I first should have handled any misunderstanding through PM and then clarification could have been made without everyone else having to see it.

Again, I apologize to you instantdeath for jumping on you and you didn't do anything wrong. I was wrong to get so defensive towards you without first asking you privately to clarify your position.

Last edited:
i've blasted several black crats, white one, spotted ones, angora ones, siamesse one, calico ones etc etc etc, but a black panther - well I think they died out in the 70's after trying to blow up a police car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I have a picture on my camera of a "Black Cat" that tearin into ym trash outside. Turns out it was the Neighbors " Black Cat" ugly lil critter VERY VERY elusive though but I will get a Clean kill and post it for proof of " Black Cats" haha

Don't hog tie me yet guys!!!!!

I was told by my local Game Warden that approximately 20 years ago the VADGIF set two pairs (male and female) of black panthers loose between BSA camps Powhattan and Ottari. Any of you familiar with the Boy Scouts of America may know that Powhattan is the largest council owned scout reservation in the U.S. The caretaker of the camp issues permits to hunt deer on the land during deer season. This past year I told him of what the Warden had said to me. He directed me to arm myself accordingly because he has seen one at least every year since he worked at the camp. He then told me to visit the residences living along Max Creek leading up to the camp. He told me that they would verify that the panthers are still there as well.

As far as documentation concerning the release of these pairs. I've found none available to the public via internet. The father of one of my very close hunting partners said he has seen one in Powhattan as well.

As for myself I haven't seen one!!!! Doesn't that just blow everything away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will check with some of the local officials and wildlife biologists at my local DGIF and share mith you any further findings. I think it's neat though; adds a little more mystery to Camp Powhattan and Hiwassee,VA

Back