Black cat

I am J Holly's cousin, and he's right. My Grandma told of black panthers in Oklahoma. I had a boss down in Oklahoma that said he saw one personally. He would never lie.
That's my 2 cents.

DOGHELMET

Last year, while pulling the last of a half-dozen bobcat sets, I approached one of a pair about a hundred yards apart at opposite ends of a hedge row. The one I pulled upo to on my ATV was set off and empty, as it had been since the deer had found it three days before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I looked to the south at set #2 and saw that I had something. I pulled my rifle from the gun rack, dialed up the scope and galssed what I would have swore was a black feral housecat. Its size and color seemed obvious to me. I pulled set number one and headed that way. As I got closer and closer, the cat still looked black and not so big. It wasn't until I was about twenty yards from him that I realized he was a bobcat, and 31# to boot. He knew I was there and he piloerected as an aggressive response to my presence (hair on end). With his hair all fluffed up in that light, he looked much darker than he actually was. I can see how a lot of ppl could see a bobcat or cougar under similar circumstances and think what they're looking at was black or dark brown.

I think you are right. I don't think these people are lying, I just don't think they are seeing what they think they are.

Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster are better documented than black panthers.

If there were any, one would have been some hard proof by now. There isn't.

I live in northeastern kentucky "BLACK PANTHER CAPITOL OF THE USA". every person you talk to around here says they have seen a black panther. Have i seen one you ask? NO!!!!!!!! because they are not here just a bunch of people that has no idea about how stupid that really is. i will say if there is one or two(and that is being nice) they were pets of some kind. but that is hard for me to believe. i am not trying to be mean in anyway i just get sick of hearing about black panther running around in the US. there is no proof, out of all the people who see them not one person has took a pics. Never have found one killed in any way not by car of hunter NEVER.

I had forgotten about this thread until I saw it tonight. Just a little more information for you though. During the Oklahoma outdoor expo, they had a board up for us hunters that showed locations of bobcats killed, location of mountain lions seen, and location sof "black cats" (those that weren't domesticated.) Funny, a lot of mountain lion sightings up in the north part of the state. Lots of "black Cat" sightings in the south.

I haven't seen a mountain lion here in oklahoma, but I have seen things I can't explain and don't want to be ridiculed for saying them. (Kinda like ole boy in Independance Day)

O.K. guys heres my 2 cents. I live in Fisher county, Texas, West central Texas, I have personaly seen a long tailed cat weighing approx. 60 or so pounds with a dark pigmented coat
not black like a jaguar but defenitly darker than a mountain lion. I decided it was a freak colored mexican long tail. Over the last 4 years the popularity of sightings has increased. I know these farmers and ranchers here and I believe them. I called 1 up one night, It would scream and move, scream and move and would never look at the light. I know we have long tailed cat of a dark color
black panthers doutful, Daark pigmented yes!!!
And their tail is very large and long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
Most likely nearly all of the big cats seen are thought to be black because of the shadows and time of day or night. I personally talked to a varmit hunter here in central texas that claimed he killed a lion in the gatesville area. I have seen a big cat myself while hunting but could not tell what color it was.

Quote:
oh by the way Yellow Hammer I just spent(wasted) an hour reading about Big Foot sightings in Texas!! one in the county I live/hunt in now Im gonna start taking my 338-06 calling (implied Sarcasticly)

LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i know some people that have seen a "black cat" here in central texas. one person has seen it about 3 times if i remember right. i have never seen it, or any other color big cat for that matter, except in pics or on tv. i have heard that if it is black it must be a jaguar. i don't know, i mean if there can be black coyotes, why not black cougars??

People see black coyotes, and here is the kicker, they kill black coyotes and take pictures of them. Over in the predator hunting forum, a guy has game camera pictures of a black coyote.

The same cannot be said of "black" cougars, mountain lions, or "panthers". Plenty of people clain to see them, but hard proof is NON-EXISTANT.

As a matter of fact, I have never even seen a picture of a "dark pigmented" mountain lion. They are all pretty much the same, light brown/tan.

Last edited:
I saw a dark phase cat on, I think, bowsite.com in the members trophy photo pages. They called it a "blue" tom. It was very dark in the "brown/tan" areas. It still had the regular white areas and black markings though. That was the only picture of a dark one I have seen. So never say never.

Here in nebraska there was a black "cat" they never found out what species it was i dont think...it was on a secruity camera for a john deere dealer. It measured 8-9 feet they suspected....(im guessing measured the things it walked next to...idk)

I have also heard of lots of sightings of black panthers from seemingly reliable sources(people I know). I've heard a darker than usual color phase Mt.lion would appear pretty dark early in morn. or late in eve.(when most are sighted, usually at night). Especially if they have just came out of water, (swam a river or lake), they might appear black. Lots of reports of reg. color lions around here, Henryetta, Ok. about 100 mile E. of OKC, one killed last year about 20 miles west of here. As deer herds grow so do predator populations. I can't wait to see one (mt.lion).

Quote:
i have seen one. a black bobcat. it was a full body mount in my friend trophy room in south texas

How hard would it be for you to get a picture of it, and post it?

There was a case of black cats here in new mexico, just south of santa fe on the Bonanza creek ranch. My grandpa managed the ranch, and while I was living with him up there we had the game and fish come and inform us that some yahoo in SANTA FE had been keeping a male and female puma as pets and had been told to get rid of them, they let them go, and low and behold thay decided to take up residence on the ranch. My grandpa did see one, and the Game and Fish did catch one. not quite sure what happened to the other, my grandpa passed away one year later. So i was never up there again.

Back