Barnes TSX/TTSX or Berger VLD

Quote: Why ????
hydrostatic shock and tissue damage Quote:Why ????
Varmints and preds I can see it, but big game ? I'll take 2 holes over 1 anytime . Say you shot a deer/bou in the shoulder and it does not go down, no exit make tracking way tuffer. he will not travel very far probally less than 50 yards. Quote: Even worse gut shot angleing forward no exit. Fat plugs the hole and the blood trail if any is MIA. Again tracking not easy.
if it is a gut shot I would rather have massive damage than a pencil hole in and out. Quote:BTW.....

I killed 2 'bou in Canada a few years back. 243win 95gr NBT ,got exits on both and bumped them in their tracks. They anit that tuff ! Now the big bears...... nbt are a good bullet that is designed for only 50% weight retention transfering most of the energy into the animal compared to the barnes 95% weight retention that just poke holes.

Less than 50 yards, maybe less maybe more. I've seen thickets so tough to enter that 50 yards might aswell be 200 yards.

I don't see how getting a dime size exit is pokeing holes ???. A dime size exit is more than double than what your 240 W started out.

Wondering why you shot 10 + big game to decide they are no good ????

You never change my mind. Never.
cool.gif

If a bullet retains 90% or more of it's weight,then how does it kill ?

The trend I'm seeing the last few years in new bullets is more weight retaining ability . I wonder why ?...

I see the trend of more weight retention. I wonder why also? I think barnes had good marketing to sell to the masses,doesnt make it right.
A FMJ will kill, penetrate deeply and retain 100% of its weight, but it is a poor choice for bullets.FMJ are illegal to hunt big game with in south dakota, otherwise I am sure the people who like high weight retention bullets would be using them also.

I know a guy who accidently grabbed the wrong arrow out of his quiver(it had a field point) and shot a deer with it, killed it, but it wasnt a good choice.If you poke a hole through the vitals a animal will die, they may just travel a long ways.
Like I said I shoot till the animal is on the ground,The biggest deer I ever shot I hit 5 out of 7 shots with tsx the first shot hit him in the lungs and he took of towards property I did not have permission so I kept shooting.A better bullet would have put him down without so many shots.
I have never recovered a bullet they always shoot through.
I will never use barnes again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jlh321 I know a guy who accidently grabbed the wrong arrow out of his quiver(it had a field point) and shot a deer with it, killed it, but it wasnt a good choice.If you poke a hole through the vitals a animal will die, they may just travel a long ways.
Like I said I shoot till the animal is on the ground,The biggest deer I ever shot I hit 5 out of 7 shots with tsx the first shot hit him in the lungs and he took of towards property I did not have permission so I kept shooting.A better bullet would have put him down without so many shots.

5 out of 7 times... a simple shoulder shot would of made that deer go down quickly.

Where did you hit the deer with the 5 rounds? What cartridge are you shooting? .240 WBY?

For long range hunting elk and caribou sized animals they say you need at least 1700 ft lbs of energy at the POI in the boiler maker to be able to down this size of an animal effectively. I'm sorry but the only one that holds this sort of energy out to long ranges is the Barnes and that being said I won't be selling any of mine, Tim and Super PM me I'll buy all your stuff in a 30 caliber.
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Originally Posted By: jlh321 I know a guy who accidently grabbed the wrong arrow out of his quiver(it had a field point) and shot a deer with it, killed it, but it wasnt a good choice.If you poke a hole through the vitals a animal will die, they may just travel a long ways.

5 out of 7 times... a simple shoulder shot would of made that deer go down quickly.

Where did you hit the deer with the 5 rounds? What cartridge are you shooting? .240 WBY? Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Originally Posted By: jlh321 I know a guy who accidently grabbed the wrong arrow out of his quiver(it had a field point) and shot a deer with it, killed it, but it wasnt a good choice.If you poke a hole through the vitals a animal will die, they may just travel a long ways.

Where did you hit the deer with the 5 rounds? What cartridge are you shooting? .240 WBY? Yes 240 weatherby. Fist shot was quarting away and went in behind one sholder and came out the opposite sholder ,next shot behind shoulder double lung , one shot in guts, 2 in the a$$.
By they way I did thow my extra barnes bullets away.

Little off topic,but.Those that have shot the TSX,what bullet seating depth do they seem to like?I'm playing with some right now for my 300 win mag.TIA

Originally Posted By: bustem19For long range hunting elk and caribou sized animals they say you need at least 1700 ft lbs of energy at the POI in the boiler maker to be able to down this size of an animal effectively. I'm sorry but the only one that holds this sort of energy out to long ranges is the Barnes and that being said I won't be selling any of mine, Tim and Super PM me I'll buy all your stuff in a 30 caliber.
w00t.gif
Why would you need 1700 ft lbs for an elk if you use a bullet that does not transfer the energy into the animal?

How are you going to transfer the energy to an animal with a bullet that doesn't have the energy to do so?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: digger11 Little off topic,but.Those that have shot the TSX,what bullet seating depth do they seem to like?I'm playing with some right now for my 300 win mag.TIA

I like to seat as far out as the magazine will let me and still not be in the rifling. A lot of my rifles I just measure the magazine and seat my COAL somewhere around there.

Originally Posted By: bustem19How are you going to transfer the energy to an animal with a bullet that doesn't have the energy to do so?I use my 240 for deer and antelope,the general rule is 1000 ft lbs for that size game and I am at 912 ft lbs at 600 yards.
I am not saying a barnes will not kill an animal, it is just not the best tool.
I own other guns up to 300 weatherby mag but it would be silly to use it with tsx for deer,when my 240 has more than enough energy to kill and shoot through the animal.
Its getting late good night.

Last edited:
Why is it the junior members all KNOW that the Barnes TSX and it's iterations are junk, but the senior members say the opposite?!?!?!? LOL!!!!

Two holes are always better than one - period. AND, the size of the exit, or entrance, holes have little to do with the amount of expansion and damage (ie, hydrostatic shock, tissue damage, energy delivered, etc.) within the animal, specifically the vital organ areas. Lung, and esp. heart, shots DO allow most animals to run aways. Want it to fall right there??? Move the crosshairs forward on the shoulder - period. Neck and spine is to small a target on something that can move when it wants to under field conditions, when you have a better option. I like a definitive bloodtrail, just in case, and little meat damage if possible, but I also prefer major penetration above all, with basic expansion. Using enuf gun for the animal is a no-brainer too.

Not that the interlocks and interbonds are bad bullets either - actually similar in concept toward increased penetration. The Barnes and Hornady GMX concept is NO bullet weight loss during penetration to enhance absolute minimal energy loss, which happens due to bullet erosion during penetration and expansion on cup & core bullets. The monolithics still expand, they just don't lose weight or as much energy.

FMJ's don't expand period - different animal altogether - no comparison.

Originally Posted By: jlh321
By they way I did thow my extra barnes bullets away.

Experiences sure do differ on Barnes bullets.
rolleyes.gif

I shot two antelope last year with 6mm Barnes TTSX(6mm Rem).
Both were bang flops. The buck was 320 yards, and the bullet
had a very impressive exit wound...As in it was a nasty
4" hole. The doe was a neck shot at 175 yards, and it
almost severed the head from the body.

I have shot about 10 northern whitetails from fawns to +200 lb
bucks, and I have not had to track one more than 100 yards,
and that one was a poor shot placement that blew up the
liver. I was processing one and my 80 year old uncle stopped
by when the carcass was skinned. He saw the 4" entrance
wound on a high shoulder shot(out of a tree stand), and
asked, "What did that?", pointing at the hole. I told him
a 130 gr. .30 caliber Barnes X bullet, and he said, "I don't
know what that is, but it is too much gun for Whitetail!".
I have never had one "pencil" through any medium sized game
animal.

If you ever want to throw any more Barnes bullets away, let
me know, I will send you the cash to ship them to me.
glare.gif

Squeeze

Back