Baiting

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I don't know about Tripod, Corey. Haven't seen her in a long time.

But, a neighbor phoned two nights ago stating he heard at least three coyotes and maybe four, howling practically in his back yard. His place can be seen in the distance from our farm, so there are some coyotes in the area. Maybe Tripod is among them. I just hope they decide to be neighborly and come over to my place for a visit.

But David them Yotes know where DCZ is!! Dead Coyote Zone
lol.gif

last year over bait i got 5 yotes and a fox. i kept the bait out more than the year before and was rewarded for it. this year only one so far over bait --- they are around - plenty of tracks. it seems they get a little weary when one of there own goes missing.
weather has been windy on weekends and has cut down on calling. as much as i like baiting i like calling as well. have had success calling but ended up with misses -- happens fast-- should of had the shotgun. still plenty of winter left and more bait to put out. when time and funds allow i think your driveway patrol will help me - a lot.

That's a good one Jeff. Dead Coyote Zone. LOL.

Well, early this morning at 1:49 AM, yet another coyote came by the bait site. The trail camera
only got one video as it passed by. Seems a bit nervous.

Coyote1-7.jpg

Just recently I had a coyote walk by the site also, but wouldn't go to the calf. One night
while at the cabin, I saw it when looking through the NV scope, but I couldn't manage a shot.
Not sure if this coyote in the photo is the same one or a different one. I'm just hoping it will
return and partake of some nice veal.

I just checked my camera tonight and found these two checked the bait. I had the driveway patrol turned off because my better half was sick so I gave her a break. They must have known I had it turned off. By the way 6mm06, that was some killer video you posted. Keep em comin'.

PICT0003_zps3cc1f214.jpg

PICT0005_zpscd484c2d.jpg

NYYoteKiller, Sorry to hear about your wife being ill. She will be in my prayers.

Hopefully you will collect that coyote soon.

As to the video, that one just came together in a good way. It doesn't always happen like that.
The coyote just about ran over my trail camera after the shot. The camera is mounted low to
the ground, maybe a foot off the ground.

The night before, it (the coyote) actually moved my sensor, turned it sideways a bit, and
repositioned the camera. There were scratch marks on the sensor. I'm not sure if the coyote
bit it or what, but the sensors was turned quite a bit. I have never seen that happen before.
My scent was all over it from earlier that day when I checked the camera. The camera and
sensor are mounted on the same small stake.

Check this out. The video is blank until over half way through when the coyote comes up to
the camera. This was the night before I shot it.

Click on the photo to see the video clip.

Originally Posted By: xxLeftyxxNot familiar with the Dakotas. I bought my Chamberlain setup at Lowe's. It is the model #CWA2000, comes with receiver and one sensor for around 60 bucks. I got an additional sensor which really helps pick up animals at the edges before they get to the bait. Mine has no trouble sending at 100 yards, even picks up squirrels. Should be fine for 120 - 150 yds.
Lefty. Would you buy the Chamberlain #CWA20000 again? I need to get something today as my older "Reporter" that is not wireless just quit working. I see this morning that my bait in my field has been dragged about 30 to 40 feet. I am guessing it was a coyote or two as a frozen beaver carcass weighs up pretty good.I am interested in wireless as i want to use it on my other bait sites too.

Thanks

Uncle Mike - I would definitetely buy again. The unit works really well for my site, which is 95 yards from the house. I did order an extra sensor, though - have them at 90 degree angles to each other. As far as I know, nothing gets to my bait pile without tripping, including squirrels. I should qualify this statement though and point out that I have only had up since November, and am in northern New England where temps are a bit colder. No issue for you in Maine, but I put that out there for anyone in the southern part of the country, since these units rely on sensing body temperature (easier to pick up in colder weather.) I did have a problem with a coyote being spooked by the green LED, which lights up with activity. This was easily solved by taking the case apart and covering up the light with black electrical tape.

Uncle mike, I also run the chamberlain set up and have had zero issues, it also just so happens that the company I work for has an account with chamberlain. I was able to get my set up at dealer cost. cost would depend on how many sensors you want. you can run up to 4 on one reciever. Not sure how close you are to kennebunk but I could probably order another one if you were willing to come and pick it up. If your interested let me know and ill get some prices.

xxLeftyxx said:
anyone in the southern part of the country, since these units rely on sensing body temperature (easier to pick up in colder weather.) quote]

Lefty...These units use a motion sensor not a thermal sensor. They do not pick up body heat but rather movement.

Scott L

Scott L- not sure I agree...

From the FAQ section of the Chamberlain unit:
Can the Intermediate Driveway Alarm be used outside when it is really hot or cold?
The temperature range is from -45 degrees to +125 degrees, though the Infra-Red sensor will work differently at different temperatures. When it's cold outside, the sensor actually works better. When it's hot out, the sensor doesn't detect as much contrast in infra-red, though it still works fine since objects are hotter and easier to detect.

Might not be significant, when sensing a large object like a vehicle, but smaller animals will have less of a temperature deviation as the air temp increases. Guess it boils down to each person's unique situation.

Can always return if it doesn't work, so worth a try. I did try the lower cost Driveway Patrol (even did the antennae mod) and performance wasn't near the Chamberlain.

Lefty--where did you find that? My chamberlin driveway alarm uses a motion sensor inside. Maybe you have a diffrent model, If so I am sorry for the confusion.

What is the range specified on yours? Mine says 1/2mile and I can get almost that out of it. Took it down the road and set it up while my buddy told me when the alarm stopped sounding and I was just short of 1/2mile.

Scott L

Last edited:
Here's the link: (look in FAQ)

http://www.gadgetshack.com/reporter.html

We're probably splitting hairs here - I think all these units say they are motion detectors, but they rely on PIR (passive infra-red) to detect heat difference between the background area and objects as they move through the sensor area. The slower the object is moving, and the greater the temp difference, the better chance of detecting smaller critters.

Chamberlain claims 1/2 mile range, which I think is a bit exaggerated, but with line of sight I bet 200+ yards would be no problem. I've watched lots of animals in front of mine and very little goes untripped at 100 yards. Worth mentioning that my sensors are only 5 to 10 yards from the bait.

As far as detection, I'm pretty sure most of these type units are infrared sensors. Not sure that it makes all that much difference how far a unit will trigger the alarm as long as it triggers the alarm from the distance you intend to shoot. 200 yds is a fairly long daytime shot and an extremely long night time shot IMO, but your experience and results certainly may vary. Glad your systems are working good and hope you get a bunch of action with them.

Originally Posted By: Mainah22-250Uncle mike, I also run the chamberlain set up and have had zero issues, it also just so happens that the company I work for has an account with chamberlain. I was able to get my set up at dealer cost. cost would depend on how many sensors you want. you can run up to 4 on one reciever. Not sure how close you are to kennebunk but I could probably order another one if you were willing to come and pick it up. If your interested let me know and ill get some prices.
Thats fantastic. I am in Cape Neddick, not far from you at all. I will Pm you as soon as I can.
Thanks for the generous offer.

Mike

Here's a few that have been checking my bait out over the last couple months. (date is wrong on the camera) killed the bottom one at 2:30pm last Tuesday

152_zpsefe22737.jpg

365_zpsab4be5fa.jpg

385_zps8335163d.jpg

341_zps583cd212.jpg

Nice going Slayer.

Just curious about the coyotes up your way. When they find the bait, do they come most every night, or are they more like mine and hit the bait one night, then are off and gone until who knows when.

I lucked up with that last coyote that hit the calf. It returned three nights in a row, allowing me to hunt and take it. Yet another coyote has walked by the bait without touching it and hasn't returned.

I'm just curious if you experience the same thing.

Lefty...I think you are correct...we are splitting hairs here. They do seem tp work better when it is cold out. Good luck. We have called them in close but they wouldn't commit
The baiys have been real slow here...very sporadic

Scott

Do you guys have trouble with buzzards eating your bait? I'm in NC and a deer carcuss will have 50 buzzards on it within an hour. Buzzards actually come to gun shots. I guess they are programmed into kowing there will soon be a gut pile.

Yep! I sure do.

07-1.jpg

06-10.jpg

This winter for a while, I covered the bait with a tarp during the day, staked down on the
4 corners, and would remove it just before dark. Lately I have been leaving the tarp off
due to the cold weather, but yesterday had a buzzard on the calf. I may have to cover it again.
The warmer weather will allow the bait to smell more, thus buzzards, ravens and crows.

Back