Baiting

Originally Posted By: Mr BenelliEmpire makes direct vent heaters 10 and 15 k. Run them off a barb tank and safe if you want to keep window closed. They put off no light. Temp below 25 get the 15 k or bigger..
I looked into the Empire. Those would be ideal for my application. I found a 12,000 BTU for $400

Originally Posted By: deerslyr1Originally Posted By: WhitebeardHate to sound ignorant, but I guess I must be, what the heck is a "Deer Yard"? I would assume it is a deer bedding area?
unsure.gif

we can tell your a southern boy.... in the north when the weather turns cold and snow starts piling up the deer "yard up" , basicly every deer around for up to 25 miles will congrate in a small area where food and shelter is avaible, often in heavy evergreens or on south facing slopes. often even in areas where there is only 3-8 deer per sq mile you will get in deer yards and see hundereds of deer. the more north you go the more extreme it becomes.

deerslyr1, Thanks for the explanation. Yes, you are right I am a southern boy (66 yr old boy), but looks like my guess was pretty close. My next guess would be these deer yards don't materialize until after deer season.
lol.gif

Whitebeard,

Mostly the deer yard up late (after season closure) but sometimes when the snow gets deep around late November they'll yard up. At least that has been my experience in NorthWestern Maine & Northern New Hampshire; both on the Canadien border lands.

T2G

Originally Posted By: WhitebeardOriginally Posted By: deerslyr1Originally Posted By: WhitebeardHate to sound ignorant, but I guess I must be, what the heck is a "Deer Yard"? I would assume it is a deer bedding area?
unsure.gif

we can tell your a southern boy.... in the north when the weather turns cold and snow starts piling up the deer "yard up" , basicly every deer around for up to 25 miles will congrate in a small area where food and shelter is avaible, often in heavy evergreens or on south facing slopes. often even in areas where there is only 3-8 deer per sq mile you will get in deer yards and see hundereds of deer. the more north you go the more extreme it becomes.

deerslyr1, Thanks for the explanation. Yes, you are right I am a southern boy (66 yr old boy), but looks like my guess was pretty close. My next guess would be these deer yards don't materialize until after deer season.
lol.gif

Your right. In this area it takes deep snow and cold temps to realy get them to yard good. And in real bad winters its not uncommon to count 100-150 deer in one area. Last winter was so mild the deer did not yard (very small groups) up hardly at all.

Deer are not yarding here this winter being the snow is'nt deep and temps are warm for this time of year.
I used to steelhead fish some very small streams not far from here that ran through yard areas. It was'nt uncommon to see dead ones laying in the woods and in the creek.
Gives me the creeps!!! I hate seeing deer starve.

There is 100 acres in front of my house that is being logged. They have cut all the trees and bunched them together in preparation of a skidder bringing them to the yard. The deer are gathering and eating the tree tops. This should attract the coyotes too. Last year the deer did not yard up here either, but with this large food supply, they are herding up pretty good. I am hoping to get out and do some calling this week. I have a few bait sites on the edges of this logging operation, but with the recent logging operation the coyotes have stopped visiting them. I am assuming that they are hunting on the abundance of warm meals instead of feeding off my left overs.

ya deer have not yarded here for the most part there are a few more than usuall deer in the yard areas, so i suspect it will happen soon though. i alway see alot of yotes in deer yards.
deer did not yard at all here last year.

Scalloper I just did your same exact set up. Thanks for sharing it. Being originally from good ol Down East Maine myself I figured why not go with it. Just set it all up this weekend but had to go away for work for the week. Hopefully when I return the yotes have gotten comfortable at the bait. Looking forward to hopefully being able to share some kill pics in the near future.

Shot this male about 10:30 last night on the baitpile at 85 yds. Used the 22-250 with a 50 zmax at 3,900 fps. The shot was a little too far back but still caught the lungs. It blew right through him and blowed part of his lungs out on the exit side. Exit hole was between a quarter and half dollar size. It did not stop him in his tracks however. He was able to go 90 yds and jump two ditches before bleeding out and piling up across the second ditch. It has been a long dry spell, and I was glad to get this one.
Picture052_zps10ec8ff0.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mainah22-250Scalloper I just did your same exact set up. Thanks for sharing it. Being originally from good ol Down East Maine myself I figured why not go with it. Just set it all up this weekend but had to go away for work for the week. Hopefully when I return the yotes have gotten comfortable at the bait. Looking forward to hopefully being able to share some kill pics in the near future.
Thats great to hear. Ya it might help to let them feed for a bit then send them to a warmer place
thumbup.gif

WTG Double up
thumbup1.gif

I am in sort of a dry spell myself. We have had about 2 feet of snow for over 1 week and I cant find a track hear my home for 2 miles.

Nice going DoubleUp. I know you earned that one with patience and determination.

Seems a lot of us are having dry spells. Coyotes here have all but vanished.

Ya, glad to hear you broke the ice, DU. Dog activity has been real sparse for me, too. Lots of fox visits at night, but no night season on them for us. Watched a pair working on another deer leg bone around 4am this morning for 1/2 hour, wishing a yote would come in to take over.

Been single digits here few days, 30s to low 40s forecast for next couple days. Got a good feelin...

yotes have been quiet here as well -- the normal activity seems slow but i did have a hit on a new bait the other day. what was surprising was they hit it the night i put it out. usually will sit for a while. i think it was the ingredients-- baitsicle... some dry dog food, some old meat leftovers from back of refrigerator well conditioned, some other bone scraps and......bacon fat mixed with the warm water that i used to freeze into the pale.. they hit that bang zoom. to bad i don't have one of your famous drveway patrol setups then i would maybe get a late night shot.

Thanks guys. I can tell you dog driller those Driveway Patrols are the best investment I've seen at $16. Both of mine worked perfectly on that coyote alerting me as soon as he was on the baitpile.

Now the wait for another begins.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice going DoubleUp. I know you earned that one with patience and determination.

Seems a lot of us are having dry spells. Coyotes here have all but vanished.

I told ya David, you done shottem all!!!
lol.gif
thumbup.gif

sorry no pic ...got first coyote of the year out window this morning 7 am. I posted this here because he had been checking out the bait pile. It is getting a little low and I had not had a chance to put any more out. looks like he and another have been around here looking for something.
tracks all over the place this morning. Have not had any tracks around for quite a while. also the snow shoe rabbits have been around in many places looks like they have been busy multiplying so the yotes should probably be here for the rest of the winter.....should be good hunting from now through april. hopefully the drought is over and we can get a few more dogs sooner rather than later.

Dog Driller, that's great. Glad you got some action. If more are hanging around, you will most likely get more opportunities.

Things are really slow here. The last coyote I took was at the end of August. There's only been a couple of coyote visits to my site since then. A guy can't shoot what's not there.

Back