Baiting

That is a stroke of bad luck. Maybe a small heater of some kind in the popup might help out. It's pretty tough sitting in a blind for very long when the temps drop and the wind whips up.

Hate to sound ignorant, but I guess I must be, what the heck is a "Deer Yard"? I would assume it is a deer bedding area?
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: WhitebeardHate to sound ignorant, but I guess I must be, what the heck is a "Deer Yard"? I would assume it is a deer bedding area?
unsure.gif

we can tell your a southern boy.... in the north when the weather turns cold and snow starts piling up the deer "yard up" , basicly every deer around for up to 25 miles will congrate in a small area where food and shelter is avaible, often in heavy evergreens or on south facing slopes. often even in areas where there is only 3-8 deer per sq mile you will get in deer yards and see hundereds of deer. the more north you go the more extreme it becomes.

scalloper, weather maybe a short term set back - minus 22 last night-- but a long term gain. just a thought as the temps start to warm a little next week it may offer you some chances to stay out longer. The snow will settle and deer and coyotes will use your snowmobile trails as travel lanes -- happens everytime. also i have done winter freeze out camping at sub zero temps and it can be a blast if you prepare properly. if pulling your shelter around is slowing you down at the very least build a few small shelters in various places using blue/green tarps, spruce and balsam branchs and pack in with snow these can be very warm if done properly -- don't make them to big-- just big enough. the smaller they are the easier to warm. we are in the cold part of the winter a shelter can last you a good 10 weeks. since you have a snowmobile and being a work sled you can carry a few supplies and still make it through deep snow. travel light -find 1 spot for your built shelter and leave it in 1 spot -- just my $.02 --- have fun go drill some holes in a dogs
dog driller

I've never experienced hunting like you guys describe, so I'm learning by listening to you. It sounds exciting in one sense, yet uncertain in another. No doubt you have to go well prepared to survive the elements. Knowing what to do as well as what equipment to have seems to be the key to it all, and make for a more pleasant adventure. Keep talking, I for one enjoy hearing how you go about it, what you do and what you use.

Sounds like it would be a [beeep] of a good hunting exspereents !!!!! I would like to see some pictures of these set ups ? To see the different hunting teckneek to get them ?

Originally Posted By: deerslyr1Originally Posted By: WhitebeardHate to sound ignorant, but I guess I must be, what the heck is a "Deer Yard"? I would assume it is a deer bedding area?
unsure.gif

we can tell your a southern boy.... in the north when the weather turns cold and snow starts piling up the deer "yard up" , basicly every deer around for up to 25 miles will congrate in a small area where food and shelter is avaible, often in heavy evergreens or on south facing slopes. often even in areas where there is only 3-8 deer per sq mile you will get in deer yards and see hundereds of deer. the more north you go the more extreme it becomes.
Well said

Originally Posted By: dog drillerscalloper, weather maybe a short term set back - minus 22 last night-- but a long term gain. just a thought as the temps start to warm a little next week it may offer you some chances to stay out longer. The snow will settle and deer and coyotes will use your snowmobile trails as travel lanes -- happens everytime. also i have done winter freeze out camping at sub zero temps and it can be a blast if you prepare properly. if pulling your shelter around is slowing you down at the very least build a few small shelters in various places using blue/green tarps, spruce and balsam branchs and pack in with snow these can be very warm if done properly -- don't make them to big-- just big enough. the smaller they are the easier to warm. we are in the cold part of the winter a shelter can last you a good 10 weeks. since you have a snowmobile and being a work sled you can carry a few supplies and still make it through deep snow. travel light -find 1 spot for your built shelter and leave it in 1 spot -- just my $.02 --- have fun go drill some holes in a dogs
dog driller
Great info thanks.

yep, 22 below here last night as well. My site has seen activity almost every hour after dark - unfortunately, mostly deer and foxes. Did have a couple very brief hit n runs by a lone yote, but he stayed less than 15 seconds, no shot offered. I have been spreading out small chunks of meat to make 'em work harder in the open, only a matter of time...

Lefty, another trick you might try is to punch several small holes in the ground all around the site, just use a stake or tree branch, and put small pieces of bait in them, maybe 1.5 to 2 inch pieces. You don't have to burry it, just put it essentially flush with the ground and still visible. They can get the bait that way, but can't just easily grab a piece and run off with it.

I've watched red fox grab piece after piece of bait lying on the ground until his mouth was chucked full (kind of like a chipmunk would do), then run off with all of it.

They have to remain at the site a little longer and work for the bait a bit more if you put them in holes. Might be worth a try.

Well,I decided to add a very nice cold weather suite to my predator hunting gear. These Artic Armor Jackets and Bibs normaly sell for about $370 for both. TToday I ordered them for $99 ea in XXL thats a steal. I am told they are also a float suite and warm down to -20 deg. And free shipping this should be all I need for extended stays in my small pup up blind.
http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Clothing-c292.htm

Originally Posted By: xxLeftyxxyep, 22 below here last night as well. My site has seen activity almost every hour after dark - unfortunately, mostly deer and foxes. Did have a couple very brief hit n runs by a lone yote, but he stayed less than 15 seconds, no shot offered. I have been spreading out small chunks of meat to make 'em work harder in the open, only a matter of time...
I wounder whats making the yote nervus? Is the cameras flash spooking it?

Went back and looked at the vids of this yote again. Camera caught him coming in 5 times that night, each about an hour apart. And each time he split within 15 seconds. Looking at the 3 movies here, easy to see he doesn't like something about my sensor #2, which is mounted low on the stump to the right.

more obvious in this one, he almost puts his nose right on it:

and same here, again somethin' just not right...

I've looked at it close up in total darkness, no sign of any light and can't hear a thing. Guess my next move is going to be to back it away about 10 feet and hope I can maintain decent detection. What's weird is that Sensor #1 is on the left side of the bait, just as close – yet doesn't seem to bother em at all?

Just had another thought. I'm betting I left more scent on this one when I took it apart to black out the sensor light. Any ideas on best way to neutralize the odor or a good cover scent to use?

Empire makes direct vent heaters 10 and 15 k. Run them off a barb tank and safe if you want to keep window closed. They put off no light. Temp below 25 get the 15 k or bigger..

xxleftyxx, i had a similar problem and on my particular camera it had a small red light that came on when activated I think that was what was spooking my coyotes -- took the camera in with the snow and just being extra vigilant checking. seems like after 9 pm around here is when things start happening. last winter I sat out in the snow up against a tree over looking over looking my site --- no calling just waited -- sat out 1-1/2 hours. just about fell asleep-- when 30 feet to my left and coming from behind- a coyote came along. startled me so because he came from down wind and i just was not expecting it. i rushed to much as i had both rifle and shotgun with me and was reaching for the shotgun and the coyote picked up that little bit of movement and i was busted -- no shot but had quite a hoot about it. came inside after that. had enough for one night. starting to get ready for more of this now as the weather and coyotes are being very active.

Lefty,

Coyotes are individuals for sure. Some tolerate lights, sensors etc. much better than others.
I've had coyotes not pay any attention to IR lights mounted over head in a tree (for night vision use),
yet others were scared out of their skins just by the light fixture being up there, even though the lights
weren't illuminated.

As to scent, that's always a possibility. However, I can say from all my trials-n-errors, I haven't really
noticed any coyote that I am aware of, be concerned over scent. Most seem to always look at the trail
camera IR red glow.

Maybe this one coyote is just the type of individual that is skiddish to begin with.

Your coyote doesn't like something, not sure what. Just a suggestion - if you think that one sensor
might be causing the problem, then take it down, but keep the other one and see what happens.

Where is the bait in the photo? Is the bait easy for the coyote to get?

Here's an example of one I had coming to the bait, scared of the lights in the tree. The lights weren't
illuminated, just up there.

Back