Baiting

Found what little was left from a fawn about 50 yds from where this camera is. Makes trying to kill this one much easier before prime fur time.

sgW6nn7.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weekenderFound what little was left from a fawn about 50 yds from where this camera is. Makes trying to kill this one much easier before prime fur time.

Yep, I'd agree that it's time for that one to go!

How early are you guys baiting before you start hunting? Saw 4 coyotes last week around the house. Very unusual for this time of year.

I hope they stick around until October.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointHow early are you guys baiting before you start hunting? Saw 4 coyotes last week around the house. Very unusual for this time of year.

I hope they stick around until October.

For me, I bait them around my house year round. If there's no coyotes in the area and I put bait out, it often attracts crows, ravens, eagles, ospreys, hawks, racoons, possums, neighbor cats and dogs, bears, etc. So If i'm not seeing coyote activity, I tend to quit baiting. If i see a coyote, or suspect one might be in the area, I will put some bait out. Often I will get a coyote within the first couple nights of putting bait out.

My baiting strategy isn't so much running a huge bait pile to draw in coyotes from miles away. My strategy is to put out a little bit of bait so that if and when a coyote passes through my property, it draws them to a safe shooting lane and keeps them there long enough for me to get a shot.

I bait on and off through the summer months and usually begin hunting in September, and sometimes August. I had a coyote show up last night so I think it’s time to begin hunting for the season.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to start putting out small baits and cameras. Hopefully it will keep the coyotes stopping by for a look and snack occasionally.

I quit baiting in the past by March because I seem to be feeding birds only. Baiting in drilled holes helped but lots of work. (Dirt 2 1/2 inch trapping auger.)

The weather is cooling and I'm definitely getting the itch!

Quote:Baiting in drilled holes helped but lots of work. (Dirt 2 1/2 inch trapping auger.)

That sounds like a good plan. Never thought of that for coyotes, but used to use a post hole digger and put corn about a ft down for hogs. Sprinkle a bit on top and it really kept them busy for a while. Created a number of fox holes though.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I bait on and off through the summer months and usually begin hunting in September, and sometimes August. I had a coyote show up last night so I think it’s time to begin hunting for the season.

Nice! I look forward to a new "coyote down" video soon =)

Looks like everyone has been pretty steady this summer for those that stay at it. I don't bait through the summer, but maintain cameras and trails and such. Been a few coyotes on camera all summer, so looking forward to cooler weather. This next week is going to be brutal here for temps...97-100 degrees with 70% humidity. I'll be laying low, probably some loading bench time. I'm in the waiting game for suppressor this winter, so looking forward to that new piece of equipment to the arsenal.
Good to hear from gobbler and that everything is good her way.
Stay after em folks, we'll be going strong here in a few months, getting the itch pretty bad.

bait

I stayed at the shack the last three consecutive nights in hopes the coyote would return. He was a no show.

Softpoint, do you angle the auger holes? I have never done that but maybe need to. I guess that would help somewhat to keep buzzards from getting the bait.

Yes, they are angered about 15 inches deep and 20 to 25 degrees off of vertical.

I also plug the holes with grass if I can't get the full 15 inches or fill the hole up and the bait becomes visible.

Just set a camera and dumped some spiced up oils on the ground. Liquid baits are another way to beat the birds.

Last edited:
The 2 holes on the left had sardines in the bait formula. They work extremely well but when used with other ingredients they are outstanding.

Coyotes love fish funny enough. If I could use footholds I'd catch a truckload of coyotes with what I know now.

I must live in a different part the world. If I did the dirt hole strategy, the coons, skunks, and possums would have those holes cleaned out in a couple hours. Especially on the fish side of baits. My best luck has been large bait, ie. carcass, as to last for a bit of extended time. I've used dog food and table scraps to no avail. Just too many non-coyote thieves. Great strategy, I just can't make the small stuff work.

Out in the sagebrush raccoons, skunks, and possums would last a couple hours. Coyotes, badgers and golden eagles would have them for lunch.

Nonexistent at my place. Just birds.

Originally Posted By: coyote_thumperBaitpile: You're going to love having a suppressor. It's a great piece of equipment to have.

Really looking forward to it!

Suppressor is a total game changer, multiples can be expected on active baits. Suppressor really shine on the 17's and 20's. During the day on sleeping pairs, almost guaranteed a second stationary shot if you kill the first one(even with a much noisier cartridge like a 22-250). As for bait holes I use a post hole earth anger bit, old gas ice anger motor to power it. Going 30" deep you don't need to worry about angle, unless you are snaring trails into the bait hole. Than I anger the hole into a prevailing wind. Probably could do the same thing to have a better broadside shot at night, if you setup 90 degrees to the hole.

Back