Baiting

Good job PMAC. Loved the dog doing its thing footage. Good dog!

Week - I use Ol' Roy for the win Sir. Occasionally throwing a little table scraps, bacon grease, and canned mackeral

This guy took a bit of patience on my part. When I sat down and turned on my scope I find him (her actually) laying down by the bait pile. There have been two coming in as of late. Anyway, one of my neighbors about a 1/4 mile away has a dog that looks just like a coyote under thermal, so I waited until it got up and no collar = shoot.

[video:youtube][/video]

The bullet punched through a fair amount of branches on its way to the target so I thought I might have missed it. Found her this morning about 40 yards away.

afA3jqm.jpg

1KCJGRW.jpg

Here is the latest blind I have coyote hunting permission for.
dHnkqCQs.jpg

YWcpnF5s.jpg

and the view to the bait after I trimmed a shooting lane three coyote so far.

Last edited:
Mistaking the neighbor's dog for a coyote would be tough. The video really shows the foliage you were pokin' thru; can see why you wondered about a deflected bullet. Great discipline & shooting.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Mistaking the neighbor's dog for a coyote would be tough. The video really shows the foliage you were pokin' thru; can see why you wondered about a deflected bullet. Great discipline & shooting.

Thank you. Always have to keep positive ID in mind around my place here. When it was heading towards the woods I whistled and thats what stopped her for a moment to look back at me right before the shot.

Kept me up for a few extra hours last night thinking about it. After she turned right after the shot, that's where I checked and couldnt find her. This morning I discovered it turned left and ran about 40 yards or so.

Awesome work everyone! Action everywhere! WTG and thanks for all the videos!
Agree with 06, fun to see everybody's set up. I've posted mine a couple times, will have to put some more up.
I have some calling video from a week or so ago. Not really baiting, but may put that up for lack of activity on the bait.
Stay after em!!!

Originally Posted By: baitpileBurn, were you able to get a better idea on a bolt version thermal? Just curious...

Hey BP - I have Sir. I'm leaning towards the AGM Adder TS35-384

Going to "wring out" my Rem 700 and Ruger Ranch (both 223) this week and decide which rifle to choose based on accuracy and whatnot and go from there.

Burn, glad you found her. Rare to see one lying down like that. Shooting a dog is always in my mind.

Spot, thanks for the blind photos. That elevated one looks very nice.

Originally Posted By: baitpileAgree with 06, fun to see everybody's set up. I've posted mine a couple times, will have to put some more up.
I think it’s good from time to time to keep fresh photos of setups. This thread is so long that it would take a tremendous amount of searching to review them again, plus there may be new people stopping by here and relatively fresh photos can help them see how everyone goes about it.

Took 3 trys and almost an hour to put a hole in this one. I had been going outside and shooting off the deck but moved inside to bedroom window after second time this dog walked off on me. By that time wife had moved to sleep in spare room.

I’ve been baiting for the last 5 years, only at night with thermal. I have hunted over ranchers dead piles, used road kill deer, cow guts from my kill truck buddies and trimmings from the butchers. I start hunting over bait from first snow fall or when the ground starts freezing. I still like calling around that time too, but I slowly transition to hunting over more bait spots as the winter goes on and the coyots become more educated. If y’all ever have any questions, I’m sure I could answer them.

I’ve been baiting for the last 5 years, only at night with thermal. I have hunted over ranchers dead piles, used road kill deer, cow guts from my kill truck buddies and trimmings from the butchers. I start hunting over bait from first snow fall or when the ground starts freezing. I still like calling around that time too, but I slowly transition to hunting over more bait spots as the winter goes on and the coyots become more educated. If y’all ever have any questions, I’m sure I could answer them.

Great story and video pmack. Anytime the wife has to move to the spare room, it's getting serious
smile.gif
!

TPC, welcome aboard! Looking forward to some baiting adventures and videos. Always a good time in this thread, goes 12 months out of the year with somebody doing something.

Back