Baiting

I had a new coyote visit past couple of days, hitting a road kill deer I had in a field ditch. She was here early last night while I was out on a calling stand so I didn't see her other than I knew she had dragged the deer out of the ditch.

I got up at 5:30 this morning thinking she would return to feed before daylight. Sure enough she was in the field, but had dragged the deer to 252 yds. from my shooting station. I dropped her right there. I'll upload the video and some pictures of the "Meat Wagon" in action later today. Here is a picture of her, big light colored female.

#38 by Double Up, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good job!
thumbup1.gif

Way to go guys, storm over here, but still windy. Went and looked at the last bait site (spotting scope) coyote appeared to have been at it(no snow on it, snow packed around it). On the way home, went down a road a mile north of a bait where I have shot 7 this winter. 9 am I see a male coyote headed south toward the bait. Going to be 20 mph NW wind tonight, will be shooting east so a bit of drift even with the 204R.

Nice looking rig DU, thanks for the pics and video. Don't seem to matter where they choose a table at the DRT diner, all ends the same.

Thanks week, I see you're getting those running shots perfected. Of course some would say on running shots with thermal, "It's just luck."

I snowshoe to the blind, despite the 30-35mph wind gusts out of the WNW. The bait has been moved and it is outside my shooting lane east of the blind, to the south. I put my pack/rifle in the blind and went to move what remains of the bait to the left/north side of the shooting lane. As the sunsets, I can see where coyote have marked the area in several places. Back in the blind I thought I may only have a short time to shoot, worried about coyote grabbing and running and the wind if more west occurs. Just as it gets dark enough that I need the assistance of my Steiner binoculars to see, a pair of coyote show up. They came in right about where the bait had been. One quickly went over to the bait, the other turned back to the south. It stood briefly behind the shoreline cover looking toward the other coyote, than started trotting away. I pivoted the rifle on the tripod back to the bait. The coyote stood facing my direction, I shot holding left of center of the chest, 150 yards away. She dropped drt. I waited 2 hrs ,before retrieving her. While waiting I realized the wind had shifted, pretty sure the male winded me, she was just a little too far north of him to have the same advantage. I keep taking photos, will need my brothers help/laptop to load a bunch, all at once. coyoteoverbait

Last edited:
Back