Baiting

wf, I didn't notice a puffy face on him. He was shot broadside lungs and you had to look hard to find entrance or exit. Barnes 80 gr. TTSX I don't know if he had been rolling in something or what, but he stunk.

I like #7, that's what I want to see when I pull the trigger.

Yesterday was my birthday, 76, so we went out to eat yesterday evening at Outback Steakhouse. While I was waiting on my wife to return from the restroom, I was thinking of how blessed I have been all these years and still am. Being able to go hunting or fishing by myself at my age is precious to me. Then I thought, Lord, it would be nice for me to get a coyote on my bait pile for a birthday present. The Bible says in Ephesians 3:20 that He is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we ask or think according to the power that works in us. I often tell folks to be wise about what they allow themselves to think.

Problem was, as most of you know, my bait pile coyotes have been about as scarce as hen's teeth. Anyway about 11:15 last night I decided to take a look at the field with the thermal. I've had a roadkill deer out for more than a week with nothing hitting it, but when I looked out there was a coyote on the deer. The video tells the rest of the story.

#36b by Double Up, on Flickr

#36 by Double Up, on Flickr

She got a chance to ride out of the field in the "Meat Wagon."

#36a by Double Up, on Flickr

Great video and a fantastic shot Doubleup. Way to drop 'em. I like the meat wagon pic. Almost looks like a fun ride
smile.gif

Happy Birthday!

I had 2 more coyotes come through last night. First one at about 9:15pm on my driveway. Second one at about 2:50am in the back yard.

First coyote I shot I hit it in a front shoulder, quartering towards me at about 50 yards. It flipped over backwards and stumbled out of my view. It thrashed in the bushes for about 10 seconds and then went quiet. I want to see if the Sierra 55gr HPBT Gameking penetrated through the shoulder on this one.

Second coyote I shot was behind my pond, same place that I missed one a couple weeks ago. First shot dropped it, but it started shrieking and making a loud commotion in the silent night. One more quick shot and then the night returned to silence.

Both shots were recorded. I'll try to get videos edited and uploaded tonight.

And y'all thought I was just another pretty face. This is one of two I shot last night. The first one was in SC and I was setup waiting for bait (hogs) watching about 200 yds of 4wheeler trail. I had corn sprinkled in it so if a hog crossed it would most likely stop. I had Barnes 55gr TTSX in the tube for the hogs. First thing to come down the trail was a coyote. At 100 yds he picked me out, I wasn't hid at all. I shot him frontal in the chest. He jumped straight up about 4 ft. in the air while mule kicking and biting his side all at the same time. Where he went was a 8 year old cutdown with briars 10' high so thick you have to beat your way in. I did look some, but not a lot. No recovery but he is most likely "on the other side". I failed to get the video started but I tried.

Drove 2.5 hours north to my new property in NC, getting there at 1:30 AM. At 5:47 AM the alarm goes off and the 6th male coyote in a row did a bang flop.

Sy1SQUg.jpg

Last edited:
Great shooting week!! Congrats! You're on a roll. Ref the edit button, I haven't experienced any issues. Haven't used it in a bit though.

I tried to edit my last post earlier today and it failed. Screen froze when I clicked the edit button.

Here's video links for the two I shot last night.

I think I'll be sticking to the Sierra 55gr HPBT gameking bullets for my primary .223 rem coyote bullet around my house. I'm impressed with them on the last 4 coyotes I shot. A couple of these last shots were shoulder shots and I think the 50 gn V-max's would have splashed shallow and the coyotes would have run off. I did read that these Sierra HPBT's aren't great for wind or long distance and they have a poor BC, but most of my shots at home are 50-100 yds so that's not an issue for me.

Wow. Looks like a week for stacking coyotes!

Weekender- Perfect shot placement. Nicely done!

Coyote thumper- Where did the first shot hit the second coyote? Great, clear videos. Way to keep on them.

Back