Baiting

I just got another about 45 minutes ago. Here's a link:

A couple days ago I flipped a dead fish out of the pond onto the dirt pile where the coyote was standing. There might have been some chicken scraps on the dirt pile also from a couple weeks ago. I suspect the fish is what attracted the coyote up there.

And thanks for the positive feedback guys =)

06: I actually wasn't talking to myself, (this time) my wife was standing behind me and we were whispering. Though if you watch the fishing videos on my channel you'll catch me talking to myself quite a lot....haha.

So initially a different alarm further out went off. I got the gun out and waited at the window on the other side of the house in the direction of the first alarm. Nothing came, so I put the gun down and went to the other end of the house to do some laundry. My wife then hollered that an alarm was going off so I ran back to the gun, she said "no, the other alarm on the other side of the house", so I ran to that window and started scanning, she was standing behind me and we were whispering as I scanned to see if it was a deer, cat, dog, coyote, or other animal back there.

Last edited:

Nice job, Thumper. That was a good view of the coyote. What scope is that? As to whispering / breathing, my hearing isn’t so good anymore.

Details for these past 2 videos:

Rifle: CZ 527 American in .223 Rem. Threaded and suppressed.

Bullet: Sierra 55gr HPBT Gameking in front of 26.0 Gr H-335 for about 3000 fps. (Hot load. I'm cratering primers)

Scope: Leapers 4-16x50mm (~$100)

Night vision: Megaorei 2 from ebay (~$130)

IR illuminator: Odepro KL52 plus with IR diode installed. (~$125 on amazon.com)

Range of shots in last 2 videos: ~100 yds for first video (face shot). ~60 yds for second video (chest shot).

Video editing:
The recorded video offsets the video and audio. I have to re-align it with editing software.
First I have to use a program called "handbrake" to re-process the video and fix some sort of error that always appears in the video clips recorded on the megaorei 2. Then i can load the clip into Davinci Resolve for actual video editing. If I don't use handbrake first, the raw recorded video crashes Davinci Resolve when I try to open the clip in that program.

Note on scopes: I tried these digital IR nightvision kits on a vortex scope and it didn't transmit the IR light very well. I think vortex might have put an IR blocking coating on the lenses of their Crossfire 3-12x56mm scope. I've used a Nikkon Prostaff scope and it worked ok with IR night vision. Honestly the cheapest scopes seem to work the best. I think it is because they don't have IR polarizing/blocking coatings on the glass.

Last edited:
Great video CT! I like hearing the chime go off after the shot. Almost a Pavlovian trigger
smile.gif

Really interesting details in the last post. Who would have thought that a cheapy Leapers would be better for NV...it makes sense now that I see it in print.

Weather(blizzard) finally moved thru, will sit somewhere tonight as I had 2 baits going before the snow. Batteries charged, propane for a heater at both sites. Going to be -5 with light wind.

Originally Posted By: coyote_thumperThanks. You're welcome. I mostly quit recording shots for a while, but was encouraged by comments and other shared videos on here to start doing it again.

Keep them coming! ...Thank you.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootWeather(blizzard) finally moved thru, will sit somewhere tonight as I had 2 baits going before the snow. Batteries charged, propane for a heater at both sites. Going to be -5 with light wind.
That’s cold, Spot. The lowest temp at my shack when I have hunted was somewhere about 10 to 12 degrees. Hope you do well and drop some.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootWeather(blizzard) finally moved thru, will sit somewhere tonight as I had 2 baits going before the snow. Batteries charged, propane for a heater at both sites. Going to be -5 with light wind.

Good luck and I hope that heater works good.

Was 6 above when I snowshoed into the blind last night. Saw a coyote in the field, looked like it was messing with a large piece of deer hide. Shoes were squeaking some with the dry powdery snow. It moved off, I didn't think I spooked it. Got situated in the blind,heat on, made a slight adjustment to the thermal scope. 1/2 hour later the coyote appeared from the same area I had last saw it. Temp had dropped 10 degrees by then. Coyote angled out into the hayfield, stopped broadside at about 150 yards,drt. Later as the moon set I called it a night,truck temp read -6.

Last edited:
I missed one a couple nights ago =( I was extremely disgusted with myself. No excuses, just frustrated with myself.

I think I should have done a lip squeak to get it to stop and look at me.

Oh man thumper, we've all been there. Shake it off and press on! I know the feeling of the frustration all to well. Missed two in the last night's out calling. My excuse is "bench" wrecked. All of my bait kills are from a bench at known distances, out in the field, I seem to crash and burn. When I miss from the bench, I'm sideways for a week or two...or three lol!!! Keep on trucking, good stuff!!!

Mid twenties last night went to a pop-up blind, no heater. Had rechargeable insoles in my Pac boots. Bait is 150 yards west southwest of the blind, wind was out of the southeast(normally I only hunt wind that has west in it here). Hour into the sit, intermittent moon light, I got a whiff of skunk and than I thought I smelled coyote. Several times the next hour I scanned with the rifle thermal, nothing. I caught movement in the brush behind the bait during a moment of moonlight. Turned the thermal back on and watched a coyote step out into the field near the bait. He walked out a few steps, gave me a quarter to shot, spun and fell in the deep soft snow. I scanned around, didn't see anything, until I noticed a small movement right at the bait. Bait is down under the last heavy snow and critters have been digging to reach it. I realized a few minutes later it was the end of the skunks tail. He was digging or trying to remove meat from the frozen bait. Needed the snowshoes to retrieve it. I went there because we had a front moving in and was hoping for a early visitor since I wasn't using a heater. I sprayed with dead down wind and wore a scent blocker coat under my white camo. Different smelling the animals before actually seeing them.

Back