Baiting

Originally Posted By: weekender I was fortunate enough to shoot through one ground blind with the muzzle loader and still kill a bobcat, the rest were misses.

Something to be said for big & slow bullets. Bet it took a while for the smoke to clear, especially if it was a closed blind.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

the only shots - thankfully - that ive put through a ground blind were from killing critters who decided to take up home in them against my wishes.

always have a tube of caulk in the trailer when we clean out for fall - almost certain i'm gonna punch a few 22lr holes with the mouse spray.

and i wont think twice about grabbin my .40 or .38 spl if there's a big ole raccoon in there all pissed off and hissing at me.

had a huge female (20+ lbs) a few years ago that i torso shot with my .38 snubby... she stood up and snarled at me after taking a round to the chest. 2nd one was in the face. she didnt snarl at me anymore after that LOL

Well folks, no dead coyotes, but, the chaos continues. The holes aren't just in windows and decks I guess. I just went down to clean about a foot of snow off my bait piles in hopes of a little more exposure. It's been really slow on the bait, even with very cold temps. So, while shoveling snow, I stepped right in the center of my bait pile to be able to reach some snow. Instant pain, had to yank hard to get my foot back. An antler was froze in just the perfect position. So, a 3"-4" tine went through the boot, insole, sock, and my toe. Yep, a hole in my $180 Alpha Burlys *&^&%##&^%!!! I figured it up, it'll take 36 $5 dollar coyotes to replace those boots. $5 bounty here. What a day...

My bait site:
170 yd bait (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr

My foot:
Deer antler2 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

170 yd bait (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Deer antler2 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Sheesh, What next??? Baiting is hard work!!!

Darn, bp!!! Must have been a really sharp antler point. Hope the foot heals up soon, the boots are bad enough but they can be replaced.

Regards,
hm

I wouldn't call it pencil sharpener sharp, but a small tine, little basket rack on a roadkill. I now understand why farmers hate antler sheds in their CRP. Flat tires all around. Toe is sore, but,my boots still got me rialed up.
mad.gif
mad.gif

Man, Bait. That sends shivers up my back just thinking about it.

Well, last night saw a little action at the bait site. I was home of course, and my cell camera informed me that two coyotes were tugging at the carcass. So, I am in the shack tonight, hoping they return, despite rain by morning. Looks like the next two nights will be rainy so it may be Thursday or Friday night before I can hunt again. A red fox tripped the alarm a few minutes ago, then left. Coyotes were on the bait this time last night.

How many this season 06? Glad to see you got a couple on the line.

I stopped my baiting because of a new problem. I didn't mind feeding the birds but now free roaming domestic dogs have found it. One even came up on my deck and got into a container with fryer grease.

Anybody else have this problem? It always happens during the day so I think they have homes?

Softpoint, only four coyotes since last August. Not seeing many this season. As to dog, I have had some now and then over the years.. haven’t had much of a problem for a while until just lately. Three are coming together and have been there twice within less than a week. I think the owner is turning them loose in late morning.

Softpoint,
On the domestic dogs, occasionally, but very seldom. I generally know who's they are, then they just get disinterested. On the ones I've had that I don't know, it's generally just a one night stop on their way through. Probably because they are from so far away, they don't make it back. But overall, not a problem at all. My biggest problem is eagles, hawks, coons, and possums cleaning me out and wearing out my sensor batteries. This slows down though when the temps get real cold.

I've had a neighbors dogs eat the fresh beaver I've put out. They'd gorge themselves sick and go home to puke it up on the carpet. If you're going to let your dogs free range, you should own a carpet cleaner.

My dogs seem to pick off the dead pile occasionally. They seem to prefer the stuff that's tainted to the point that it's unrecognizable.

FWIW I'd continue to feed the strays & vagabonds. I don't have a shortage of carcasses to donate.

I dump a lot of chicken bones and am worried about them getting stuck in their throat. Lost a dog that way. I guess it's time for some water trapping. Ground muskrat should be safe.

As usually happens more often than not, the coyotes did not show up last night. They were on the bait Sunday night but didn't come back Monday night. As we discussed earlier, this happens often. Usually they return on the 3rd or 4th night. However, we have rain in the forecast for the next two days, so maybe later in the week I will be able to hunt.

It happened again, lightning striking in the same spot. I got number 5 at the new camp at 6:40 this morning. I wish I could say it went smoothly but it was a fiasco. My AR failed to fire 6 times before it went bang. Three times I pulled it back inside the "blind" and tried to clear the defect. It was pitch black inside so I was going by feel. I was removing the clip, working the slide, then try again. I was real lucky the coyote hung around for the 5 or 6 minutes I was in panic mode. I am releasing the short version of the video now but will load the uncut version later. 32.3# male ran about 50 yds with no lungs. The VMAX passed through which is unusual for me. Must have hit between ribs on both sides. Left a quarter size exit. Sort of dark colored male. That's 5 males in a row.
The problem with the AR I think was being caused by the foam rubber I am resting the gun in. When I leaned a certain way, the foam would cause the ejection port to be blocked. So the last time I shot on number 4, the spent case was still in the gun and I didn't know it. A new slot has been cut in the foam to allow future ejections, I hope.

M0yMpIT.jpg

Last edited:
Just a WAG, but could the misfires have been due to bolt not all the way in battery? I'd give it a try offhand to be sure something isn't preventing bolt to close all the way. Hard to try to clear a misfire in the dark, but all's well that ends well. Nice dark hide on that one.

Regards,
hm

Despite the unfortunate turn of events, you still made good of it, Week. The new site is beginning to produce for you. Nice coyote, salt ‘n pepper colored.

I can’t view the video.

Congrats on #5 Week!!! That is a beautiful colored coyote right there! Hoping you get the gun running 100%. Test and retest prior to next set. Good work.

Back