Baiting

HM, the two of you had to have pulled the trigger at the same time. Sure doesn’t happen that way very often. That big .416 would have wrecked that coyote’s world if the .223 hadn’t got there quicker.

When my son first got his big boomer (375 H&H) we tested it with factory 270 gr loads ( I believe that’s the weight ) off sand bags. It astounded both of us just how accurate it really was. I told him it was accurate enough to take to the groundhog fields, and so we did just for fun and a laugh. My son took first shot on one and it suddenly lost its head while still standing. I got the shot on video and edited it into a movie. Have to think out of the box sometimes, so to speak. As to the .375, it has less felt recoil to me than my .338 Win Mag does.

Week, you are on a roll, man. You have had some great action lately.

I hunted deer one year w/my 375 (in preparation for an eland hunt in 04) and a coyote stepped out around 300 yds IIRC, to my right. I was in a blind, making it difficult to turn far enough right, so it was an awkward position, and to further compound the problem I overestimated the range and held too high. He dropped like a hammer. Surprisingly, when I got about 100 yards from him, he jumped up and started spinning. Finally got on him and finished the job, finding that the bullet struck right at the base of his left ear, leaving the ear attached by only thin strips on both sides of a large hole in the skull. Just goes to prove that bigger doesn't make up for a poor shot
lol.gif
and a testament to the resilience of the coyote.

Felt recoil, even with the lighter 210 gr. bullets, in my 338 is definitely greater than the 375. The 338 has a much sharper recoil than the 375, with it's more gentle push. I'm sure stock configuration is partially responsible but the 375 is considerably heavier rifle, as well.

Hoping to make one last eland hunt and plan to use the 338 this time with either Nosler 265 gr. Long Range Accubonds or 275 gr. Swift A Frames but haven't yet done the load work. Might have a magazine/cartridge OAL problem with the LRAB's but it is a very interesting bullet and I've had good results with AB's in other calibers. Very happy w/A Frames performance, however. 375 h&h, 300 gr. A Frame, took entire top off heart of this bull w/full passthrough. Follow up shot penetrated 34" w/no appreciable loss in weight.
35636138036_20e804c737_z.jpg
35675598195_b368e5e9b1_m.jpg

Regards,
hm

My 338 kicked like a mule so I sold it and bought a 375 H&H. After that I bought a 416 Ruger for times when I need a good kick in the donkey.

Been about 7 years since I pulled the trigger on it.

I did kill 2 coyotes with the 338 as it was very accurate.

Gotta love the 338; shot a lot of coyotes with one that was my go to rifle for deer to gemsbok. Mine is a Savage 112 in tupperware factory stock and is one of my most accurate rifles.

Regards,
hm

I have owned three .338’s over the years. The one I have left is a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA. It shoots very good. I took one whitetail buck with it and that’s the extent of hunting I have done with it. I am shooting 225 gr. Barnes TSX.

That is one heck of a bull, HM.

Originally Posted By: wildflightsThe spoiler alert is in the title. https://rumble.com/v27i6e9-coyote-obstruction.html

I was absolutely convinced she'd tip over as the shot felt solid and the hold looked perfect. I didn't realize I'd center punched the handrail until later. I have some minor repairs to do...

Look on the bright side, it's cheaper than shooting your truck
scared.gif

I'd shortened the front tripod leg up earlier in the day while fine tuning my sight in range. After center punching the handrail I fully extended the tripod leg. A couple extra inches...makes a difference.

Here's the damage in daylight-

X56mHZB.jpg

I don't know if it's the same one or not but I got another shot off a couple hours later. She came out of the woods where the first ran in so it's a possibility it's the same coyote.

It's unfortunate I didn't hit record. I thought I did but apparently it was my second fumble for the night.

vDsmtBO.jpg

Ya know, every time I think I've made every mistake there is to make.....I find yet another; seems to be no end.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

WF, no offense, but, laughing my tail off. Way to end it though! On my range, my bench is in my shop and I shoot out the window. Very nice in the winter and rain. However, the window I shoot out of...is now pexiglass, no longer glass. It has a great big orange target sticker in the center now. No, I didn't want plexiglass, but, that's what I replaced the window with after I sent a perfectly placed 52 gr amax through it. Absolute explosion, and I knew what happened immediately. That round could not have centered punched the target any more perfect either.
I got side tracked making adjustments to my spotting scope or something, and the rest is history.
Congrats on a nice coyote, stay after em and stay safe!!

That's a good'en Wildflights, but you did redeem yourself on that second one, well if you don't count video. Stuff happens. Bait, I had a guy tell me one time that he had to replace his cabin window three times, not for shooting it, but for thinking it was open and sticking the rifle barrel through it. Every time I go to the shack for a hunt, I am reminded of that and make sure my window is open.

Carry on. It will get better.

WF, between my wife and myself, we have multiple perforated ground blinds, a window seal with a hole, and maybe some more stuff that deflected projectiles. Some of the mishaps were bow related and some gun. Don't feel bad. I was fortunate enough to shoot through one ground blind with the muzzle loader and still kill a bobcat, the rest were misses. My wife has two long beards that the site of them running off still haunt her.

Back