Baiting

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: SoftpointI'd hold off until fall and take your chances. The tail is a good indicator of his pelt quality.

You might have a great mount in the fall. Shoot him now and you know it's marginal to terrible.
Yep, that’s my thoughts too. Personally I would risk it and wait to fall. Would be ashamed to waste a black one.

By the way, I stayed at the shack again night before last. Was able to take care of three pests - the black skunk that I have been after, and two possums. They dropped quick from the 6mm Rem. and 55 Blitz Kings.

Nice job on the trio. They may not spray but they gotta leak a little when whomped like that. Bet that 55 is really moving from 6rem.

I got a possum Wednesday night. The thermal video is tough to watch. I walked up on him and my first two rounds went low due to the high scope mount and reduced range. On review of the video I can see the rounds hit the dirt in front of him. I wasn't sure how I was missing so it ended in a foot chase and a contact shot. Been a long time since I've ran a critter down like that.
smile.gif

weekender- I'm jealous of the black one.

Last edited:
I wanted to hear "go head, his hide will be fine". But instead, I heard "the truth". They say sometimes the truth hurts. I agree, I will wait.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Just a slight odor, not bad. I shot one a few years ago that covered my trail camera and sensor. I have since learned to wait for the business end to be pointed in the right direction before squeezing the trigger.

Haha. If I ever see a skunk I'll take your advice there 6 on "waiting for the business end to be pointed in the right direction"

Week - I agree with the others maybe better to wait till the black one has a full coat. Tempting though....

Wildflights, the 6mm takes no prisoners. That 55 Blitz King at 3720 fps ripped that skunk apart. It’s a deadly combo.

Recently I got skunk scent on me from the Conibear in the cubby. I caught a skunk in the trap sometime back and the scent still lingers. I was reworking the cubby to fit a different trap and managed to touch it with bare hands. When I got home my wife could smell it on me. Apparently the scent in the air was able to get on me. I had to take a shower, wash all my clothes, coat too and leave my boots in the storage building. And, that was just from a light scent that had been there for a while. I can only imagine what a full blast of spray would be like.

When I was a boy I practically lived in the fields and woods, and never saw a skunk all those years when growing up. Now they are running everywhere.

Did somebody say...skunks...? Lol, this was from back in November, literally the first night I had the Super Hogster dialed in and scanned from the window. I had no idea but we had a pair of them looking to make a nest 140 yds from the house. They didn't make it through the night...

87 gr vmax at 3200 from the 243 wssm... it wasn't as bad as it looked lol.

I saw evidence of a coyote having hit my bait pile the previous night but didn't get any pictures of him. I figured he would be back hungry last night, and sure enough he showed up at 8:30 before it was even completely dark. I killed him at 225 yds. Here he is getting his ride out in the "meat wagon/"

#55a by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video. I shot him with the zoom on the Super Yoter at 3x or 9 power just to make it a little easier to see him, but it blurred the video a little having it zoomed in tighter on him.

Great shot and great work DU. Congrats on a baitpile score!

Week, agree with the others on waiting, good call.

204 AR, great video, just giggling watching it:). I hate skunks and have exterminated a bunch, but, no matter the distance, location, angle, nothing, I live with the smell around the house for a long time. Its always a coin toss when one comes in on whether he will leave or not.

Congrats on the trio of pests 06. Good work.

wildflights, I sent you a pm sometime ago on your Pulsar. I actually made a decision in the meantime.
On that note, Bering Optics and I have parted ways. I will be running an AGM TS35-384 real soon. Nothing spectacular and exciting, but the $$ was about a wash, so decided to give them a run. Hoping for the best. Thermal has been a bit of frustration for me, but plugging through it.

Great work everyone!! Let's stay after em!

bait

Thanks guys, yeah that video even made my 75 yo mom laugh and she doesn't hunt or shoot. I approached it from upwind the next day and gave it a shallow grave but honestly it didn't stink too bad.

Good shooting DU, someday I'll try to figure out some captions for my videos like that.

BP, sorry you've had such bad luck with thermals. My buddy just sent his Rattler 35 in for not holding zero and had a new one back in a couple weeks. I'm not sure if they even tested his old one or just took his word for it. Now he's getting full retail value in a trade for an Iray Bravo, which is very similar to the Super Hogster.

AR, I looked at the Iray very hard,but with my luck, I wasn't going to pump a bunch of money back into it right now. So, the AGM was about a wash. Experimentation is about my mission right now, pretty gun shy as far as dumping money for now. We'll see...

That still looks pretty darn good at 9x, Doubleup.

204, that looked like a real blowout. You may have hit the scent factory. I shoot all the little stinkers I can.

I have not yet followed this one up as I've been reviewing the video. My first with the 55 Sierra and the 243 that looks like a mess. Still cover photo is where the crosshairs were at the first shot. Second shot has the crosshairs right below the chin when the shot breaks.

https://vimeo.com/703633493

I thought he was going down at one point, but seemed to regain his legs after the second shot. Just curious why you are using black hot and a black crosshair together?

No recovery photo. The pup tracked him onto the neighbors property and I had to call him off.

I'm primarily running black hot because I can see bits and pieces of critters when they're in the woods. I wouldn't have picked up the last coyote if I'd been running white hot. If I had a wish granted from Pulsar, I'd like the option to have Black Hot and Red Chromium as the primary choices to toggle between.

As to the crosshairs, I'm primarily using the red cross in the center. My options on that particular reticle is a white crosshairs with a red center and they disappear on the white background in Black Hot setting. Or I can use some of the other colors that I have a gutteral dislike for. ie green orange red

I find most of the bolder reticles distracting. Especially the 40 MOA circle that so many seem to lean towards. I like horizontal lines that force me to square up the rifle in the tripod.

While shooting, I don't feel like the chosen reticle was a handicap.

Do you think that second shot was a hit? Range at that point would have been 80 yards but he was moving.

Last edited:
Obviously, video is always somewhat degraded from the actual view you have through the scope, so what you can see clearly may not show up well when posted.

I do not think the second shot was a hit, but again hard to tell. I suppose I must be as prejudiced against black hot as you are against white hot.

20220427-075746.jpg

What made this print? Double "A" battery for reference. I have a baited hole close by. No toenails so I'm wondering?

WGI-0060.jpg

Got the culprits on a camera. ..and the dry spell continues.

Last edited:
Back