Baiting

Originally Posted By: baitpileTesting a video post here. Bear with me, not a tech genius.
This is an older video from my old Photon RT before it went Tango Uniform and got replaced by Pulsar.
https://vimeo.com/648143069
This is my 170 yd site.

I like it.
Which Pulsar NV did you go with? How does it compare?

Originally Posted By: wildflightsOriginally Posted By: baitpileTesting a video post here. Bear with me, not a tech genius.
This is an older video from my old Photon RT before it went Tango Uniform and got replaced by Pulsar.
https://vimeo.com/648143069
This is my 170 yd site.

I like it.
Which Pulsar NV did you go with? How does it compare?

My Photon RT lost the ability to hold zero. I sent it in to Pulsar for repair. In the interim, I bought a Pulsar Digisight. The Digisight is quite a bit more scope, but nothing to really write home about for the cost. I like the zoom clarity better, and overall a good scope, definitely a step up from the old Photon technology, just a bit pricey. Eventually, Pulsar sent me back a HD Wraith, not the 4K. I had no communication with Pulsar, this thing just showed up. So, assuming that they no longer service the RT, they just replaced it with this unit. For what the Wraith is, I am highly impressed for an entry level scope. The onboard IR seems to be plenty at 170 yds. Day/night features, very quick zero, and accurate for me so far. It is working out quite well.
Fast forward to a month ago, I jumped into the thermal world with a Bering Hogster. So far, I am still playing with it and testing. I am very satisfied to this point, but need more time on it. There are some previous posts on it with my experience with it, but am thinking it will fit my needs. The caveat is, no video...yet. It does not have onboard video, so will have to add a DVR at some point. A rabbit hole for sure...:).

Figured out why my coyote ran away without a trace. I had put the wrong clip in the gun and failed to check it. Let's just say it wasn't "predator" ammo.

Night before last I finally had a coyote visit, the first in 36 days since I shot the last one. He didn’t get any bait, thanks to a red fox and a couple of grays. Hard to say when he will be back.

Been very slow for me. I haven't seen a coyote on the bait pile since Aug. 13th. It's been warm though and I've only been using fried chicken scraps from a local restaurant. Finally has gotten cold enough that I could put out a roadkill deer, and it not vanish in three days to maggots. I was seeing lots of roadkills back in warm weather.

Anyway, I've been through these dry spells before. My Motto has been, "If you bait it, they will come." Now I guess I need to add "eventually" to it. You guys stay after them.

BP - looking forward to some Hogster and Wrath videos when you get it up and running

Week - Been there done that Sir! Hit one center mass a couple years ago with a FMJ 223 and we found it about 200 yards away in a creek. They are tough son of a guns. Having a dog to track them helps.

6mm/DU - Slow here as well. Have one very nervous yote that briefly stops by my bait pile about once a week but that's it. Threw out a can of sardines this afternoon to try and entice them to come around. I adhere to the "if you bait them they will come" as well. In the meantime, I have quite a lot of happy coons, possums, and fox that come around every single night and partake...

Going to get back after 'em next week I think.

Been pretty quiet around here also. Got the last of parts to finish out new setup. Savage 12 chambered in 22-204ai. 22" 9 twist varmint. Oryx chassis, Hogster 35. Runs the 53 v-max @ 3750. Little heavy, but shoots very well.

[img:left][/img]

Hello All! Thought I'd jump back into this lovely group of Baiters again. Hope ya'll are doing well and have been busy taking out some predators.
I started baiting towards the end of October. Had two sites running and just recently added a third. Warm weather didn't produce much but tons of buzzards and eagles. They would destroy the bait piles in a day! I keep adding though.
Nov. 16 at about 12:30am had a Red show up behind the house on a small pile I started there. The shot was back, and he ran maybe 15-20 yards and he dropped there.
I started hunting regularly then at my favorite stand that usually produces quite well. Things were slow at first, then activity began to pick up a bit. I would have this one Red come in every night doing a fly-through, but just wouldn't commit to the bait. Not hungry enough I guess.
Last night he did 2 fly-bys then left. About 10 after 9, he must have got a hunger pain, 'cause he came on in to the pile and I took the shot and dropped him.

Soon as I finish up deer hunting, I will get one more site baited and go from there.
I am looking forward to a great baiting season and hope to see lots of fur down from ya'll too!
I have had no coyotes show up on any of my cameras this fall thus far.....here's hoping.

May each of you have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family and friends.
gg

Video #1 -

ATN red dog Nov. 16, 2021 behind house by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Video #2-

thumbnail by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Last edited:
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Good work Gobbler! Good to hear from you and you're back at it!
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Here's hoping...things are picking up!
1126211 by jrhranch, on Flickr

1126213 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr

170 yd site about 50 min ago. Nice young female. .22-250 with 50 gr Nosler ballistic tips at 3700.
Hogster R35 which does not have a DVR...yet. So pics will have to do tonight. First kill on the Hogster and on the 20" .22-250 experiment I posted about a while ago.
Alls good, stay after em!
bait

Back