Baiting

Congratulations K9, we like pictures and welcome to the PM and the baiting forum.
smile.gif

No doubt about Salvation being the greatest gift of all, congratulations on that as well.

I stake road kill deer on the far edge of a pond, 285 yards out. I cut a hole through the trees on the near edge of the pond so I shoot over the lawn, through the trees,over the pond. I slide the window open, drop the rifle on the rest, and hope they hold very still within the opening. This happens from the heated shop. Shooting 52 gr. Sierra BTHP handloads from a Tikka T-3 varmint 22-250 that groups an honest inch at the bait. I'm addicted!
smile.gif

Sounds like a nice setup K9. The Tikka should be able to put the dirt nap on them. Look forward to your stories. Posting pictures isn't all that difficult, but you will have to have a provider like Photobucket where you can upload your pictures. From there it is simple, and some of us will be able to help you once you get the pictures uploaded. Do you have alarms to notify you when one is present?

I am able to shoot from my house. Generally I bait at 95 yds. from the house, but sometimes move out to 150 yds. and have baited them as far as 220 yds. They seem to not mind coming to the 95 yd. site and it puts them close enough to my shop to use IR lighting from the back of my shop to see them.

No alarms. Daylight only. Too far for a full moon shot with my scope. I can see them during a moon...grrr. They would not commit in full view of the building site at a closer range. They are comfortable at bait now since only the window pane is visible to them. And it looks grey like the trees...

DoubleUp,

Can you provide some details on your IR setup on your shop? I arrived home last night to find the Photon XT I ordered sitting on my porch. I'm wondering what you're using for an IR light, whether you have it rigged to a motion sensor or switch or whether you just leave it on most of the time.

Last edited:
4th, I have two IR lights attached to the back of shop. Each light has 96 led's. These lights can be purchased that are 12vdc, which would be needed if electric power isn't available. The ones I purchased are 110vac since I have electrical power in the shop. They come on at dark and go off at daylight. If I was operating them off a battery I would purchase one of those remotes that would turn them on only when needed to shoot.

They light up my bait site quite nicely and are mounted about 12 feet up on the back of the shop just under the roof overhang. I'd say they are about 35 yds from the bait pile. Bait pile is 95 yds from my house. I'm sitting in the middle of several hundred acres of field but the closest woods is over 200 yds. away with most at closer to 800 to 1,000 yds. Coyotes are much bolder during the night time and will come very close to human dwellings while they hunt.

The IR lights on the shop allow me to shoot over the bait pile without additional IR lighting on the rifle if the animal stays within the bait pile area. That allows me to not get the whiteout associated with rifle mounted IR lights. I do have a Sniper Hawg LR66 with IR module and variable power rheostat mounted on the rifle so that I can shoot if the animal moves out of the lighted zone from the building mounted lights. The whiteout doesn't work well when recording and can also hamper seeing what happens to the animal at the shot.

Now for calling, I use a rifle mounted T-20 IR light with 3 power levels and it works quite well. I can Id animals out to 300 pretty easily. But, I don't try to record when calling as there are just too things happening and here in the east we don't get that many chances where one responds to the call, so I try to focus on getting the kill.

The shop mounted IR lights look like these in the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-60-Degree-96-...r-CCTV-Camera-/

If you have further questions feel free to ask. If I can't answer them somebody here probably can.

Last edited:
Hey Guys
Havent posted in a long while and reading your post got me fired up again.
Had bait out as soon as deer season ended and it took till Dec 23thd and 25th till I got some pics of coyote on the bait but they are still coming
in after dark and I only hunt mornings and evenings.
No crows or ravens no fox or coons at all it is very quiet and only a few deer.
I have more bait put up this year in the freezers than I have had in the past but it looks like unless things change I will have more than enough.
Built a new 220 swift and cant wait to pull the trigger.
Happy New Year to you all.

Still slow here....really slow....crows don't even show up as much. No coyotes on camera. We are getting a little snow... maybe this weekend get out to call. Went rabbit hunting this past weekend with family we got 3. Good family fun.

They're hitting the bait good in MN now that we have real winter. Shot 2 coyotes in the past 3 days and another about 10 days ago. It was REAL slow prior to that...when it was warm. Early morning is best.

k9, I agree morning definitely has been the better side of the day for the bait pile as well. we just got some snow, should give us an idea where they are and some good visibility....can wait. probably going to forget the bait pile and hunt some areas we have not been to.

Nice going K9.

I haven't seen a coyote in at least a couple of months, but a gray fox visits almost nightly. A red fox visits pretty often too as do possums and a skunk. I had a rather large bobcat visit on the 20th, but it only came one night. I'm yearning for a coyote or two, but it's been really slow here for quite some time.

Hey Fellas,
Had a new idea on the bait pile being devoured by crows and ravens.
I save all the deer hides and rib cage and trimmings to use as bait and anything else that fits in my bait freezer.
It seems that the deer hide last the longest and stays at the bait pile (most of the time) without being drug away.
So I put a pile of trimmings under the deer hide and the crows did not find it but the coyote could still smell it and get some tasty morsels out from under the hide.
So a plan that finally works WRONG!!!
Those smart crows kept pulling on the edges of the hide and flipped it over and ate a full 50lb grain bag full of trimmings in about 3 hours.
So today I will use same plan but nail down the edges with pole barn spikes but leave enough room to let Mr Coyote to get some tasty morsels.
I hope this works out better.

GH, well it is certainly a plan and I hope it works out well for you. Almost all my coyote activity is at night or very early morning when the crows are roosting. I know some believe they are confidence builders for the coyotes, but since the two don't show up at the same time here, I just shoot the crows. They're pretty smart and soon realize the bait pile is off limits with just an occasional reminder needed.
smile.gif

DU
You cant imagine how many times I have wanted to shoot all them black birds but I only hunt during daybreak and in the evening so shooting them would make me think I have ruined my day.
I will just keep on trying to out smart them.
But in all the years I have been baiting I have not out smarted them yet

Last edited:
Back