Baiting

Well another evening of frustration, lots of coyote tracks in the fresh blanket of snow, bait mostly gone,15 degrees but no hungry critters. Quiet in the woods is an under statement, not a sound of any kind you could almost hear the snowflakes hitting the ground. Tomorrow's another day I guess.

dannyk, I share your frustration extremely quiet here. going to put a tape measure on the crows to see fat they are getting off the bait pile. Changed the card in the camera.....nothing but crows. Still warmer than normal and with deer and turkeys around, it tells me the coyotes are not here. We just got a snow squall today so maybe things will change. Hopefully your bait is being eaten by coyotes ...that would be a good consolation unless you are hoping for something else....good luck.

Well, I finished my new stand. Actually, this stand was in a different location on the farm and up 16'. I rebuilt it, not needing to place it so high because of its natural setting on a nice bank overlooking this bottom area. The bait pile is just above the tree on the right leaning like this: " / ". It's that light colored spot--hard to pick out I'm sure. Oh, and the orange and green bumpers on the inside of the stand are those swimming noodles kids use in pools, I split them in half and tacked them to the edges. Works great for a quiet rifle rest!
Just waiting now for some cooler weather and for the new paint fumes to dissipate. LOL

Nice work there gg, looks ready for action. I looked back a little and seen where you shoot .223, what other equipment do you use? NV, thermal, lights?

Last edited:
DU - I do plan to use the new stand for deer next year. I have seen some rubs in the area.

weekender - I do not have NV nor thermal. I use a Kill Light (red) on my rifle and just recently purchased a Scan Pro headlight which has worked nicely for me. I no longer have to pick up the rifle and scan.
The most important pieces of equipment I depend on are my ears. Though I have to say they have not been as sharp this year. I don't like to admit to myself its probably my older age creeping in ... yup. Sooo, today I added 3 Chamberlain sensors to the new bait site as a back up. I also added a homemade coon bait tube. I can save leftover food scraps, drop them in at the top and seal it with a bucket. Small holes were cut in the sides of the rat wire so coons can pull small food pieces out. The whole thing is staked securely with wire. Anxious to see how it works! Coons, for the most part, are not that particular but are destructive. We'll see if it holds up.

Last edited:
Yes I have. Call me crazy, but it seems to me that the reds are more "jumpy" by the red light than the grays. Often times if any fox is spooked by the light, it will dart away maybe 20-30 yards or so and then stop and turn to look back. That is when I have been able to get the shot - when they stop to look back. Then there are those fox who get hit with the light and keep on running right over to the next state.....

I wish we could bait coyotes in Wisconsin. Calling is not working well right now, they show very little interest. Maybe as the snow builds and the temps fall off things will pick up.

Same to you Gobbler and everyone else. May the good Lord bless and your families you keep you in His perfect peace.

thank you GG, you as well. I myself have thoroughly enjoyed this day and blessed to have family, friends and good health to be able to enjoy this day. I wish the same for the rest of you. Coyotes can wait for one more day.

Back