ATN X-sight --- Shipping to distributers

Originally Posted By: 1loboBB Interesting ad. Wonder if somebody did an early order and just passed it on for some profit, or found something they didn't like?

I actually got to handle and look through the 3x and 5x retail/production models yesterday - I didn't see anything obvious that would deter me from taking the X-sight for a spin. My thoughts are there will be initial allocation across the dealer network and some units will be available without a pre-order from companies who don't utilize that approach. Then once the initial units are all scarfed up there will probably be an outweighing demand to supply correlating to X-mas and you'll see some price gouging for a period and then a flooded market in 2015. This is all just my gut feeling - I don't talk to ATN nor sell their stuff.

While I looked through the 3x and 5x yesterday I observed that the 3x is a fixed focus system and the 5x is a manual focus adjustment which in my opinion is a huge difference between the two.

BB

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThat Ex-Sight looks like catfish bait, bottom feeders beware!

But, the PR hype from ATN has been extremely intense and laughable...
cool.gif

I am sure there are a LOT of sucker hooks in that water. The intensity and the efforts to tag team the product have been a source of amusement and the sad thing is that some of that catfish bait might be pulled right in. I applaud the effort to develop a viable digital night vision device. It's a darn pity that ATN is one of the proponents of that effort. I trust them about as far as I can throw a mule. As I said before, I really am interested in the development. I believe there is a lot of potential there. The technology is certainly available to make it work.

By the way Skypup, I wish you would be a little more careful with your remarks. I've got almost a whole cup of coffee to clean off my monitor now.

Originally Posted By: Bennybone
While I looked through the 3x and 5x yesterday I observed that the 3x is a fixed focus system and the 5x is a manual focus adjustment which in my opinion is a huge difference between the two.

BB

Seriously????? Everyone I talked to said the 5x was way to much magnification so they are saying to go with the 3x. I want to be able to focus though.

Originally Posted By: 1loboBenny, will you be getting one to review?

I will not be posting any reviews of the X-sight, this is a personal decision based on the outcomes of numerous threads in other forums which doesn't need to be rehashed.

Originally Posted By: 1loboJust curious, didn't mean to bring up any issues. I have viewed and appreciated some of your other reviews.

I enjoy the hobby within a hobby of collecting the review data and posting it for other consumers - This particular device has alot of "baggage" associated with it which zapped the fun for me so it is what it is.

Thanks for the comment on my other reviews
thumbup1.gif

Benny, forgive me for asking, but I am kinda curious about the term Baggage. Tell me to shut up and that's fine, but having been a bit of a skeptic about the scope myself, I would like to know more. I see two possibilities about baggage. One is all the garbage tied in with the scope's function, and Two is all the people that seem to have tied themselves personally to the scope and don't want to hear anyone question it.
I wish they had developed the thing with a focus on hunting rather than all the wifi, gps, recording capability, etc. They probably would have gotten to market with it sooner with fewer issues.

I'll PM you

However let me throw this thought out there -

ATN's Facebook page was littered (daily at times) with comments concerning the delays and lack of communication etc etc etc. I just hope that those same people who posted those comments aren't participating in the free giveaways as that would be so hypocritical.

Originally Posted By: BennyboneI'll PM you

ATN's Facebook page was littered (daily at times) with comments concerning the delays and lack of communication etc etc etc. I just hope that those same people who posted those comments aren't participating in the free giveaways as that would be so hypocritical.

You mean like the same people on the Texas Hunting forum, Texas Boars, DoubleNaughtSpy, DFWRoadKill, SatchelATN, BearClawUNV, are all shills for Tyler Adair of UNV and Satchel Baig of ATN period. Those guys? It's comical at best what I see there...Get free gear from the manufacturer to post all positive reviews etc. That site is a joke along with those same folks posting over and over again with the same results pimping their free gear. My guess a few of them are also ATN Pro Staffers.

I am glad this site and a few other sites weed this crap out and don't tolerate it. ATN and Armasight from the same mold (China and Russia) with the fictitious advertising out there. I'll stick with cheaper gear from the likes of Pulsar, and no I'm no rep for them, just a user who's been ripped off more times than I care to comment from others.

Originally Posted By: fastforwardOriginally Posted By: BennyboneI'll PM you

You mean like the same people on the Texas Hunting forum, Texas Boars, DoubleNaughtSpy, DFWRoadKill, SatchelATN, BearClawUNV, are all shills for Tyler Adair of UNV and Satchel Baig of ATN period. Those guys? It's comical at best what I see there...Get free gear from the manufacturer to post all positive reviews etc. That site is a joke along with those same folks posting over and over again with the same results pimping their free gear. My guess a few of them are also ATN Pro Staffers.

I am glad this site and a few other sites weed this crap out and don't tolerate it. ATN and Armasight from the same mold (China and Russia) with the fictitious advertising out there. I'll stick with cheaper gear from the likes of Pulsar, and no I'm no rep for them, just a user who's been ripped off more times than I care to comment from others.

Your synopsis, specifically the part where you name names and other forums is not 100% accurate.

I know each of the named personally and you assume far too much.

I don't join forums and partake in the attacks and insults so with that I have nothing more to say on the topic - sorry guys for even mentioning the drama but as you can see it exists and I choose to do productive things with my time.

Best of luck to all on receiving your scopes and trying them out.

BB

That thread has turned into a tag team sales pitch and it is pretty obvious. No need to bash them, they seem to tell the tale on themselves pretty well.

Originally Posted By: 1loboThat thread has turned into a tag team sales pitch and it is pretty obvious. No need to bash them, they seem to tell the tale on themselves pretty well.

Eggsactly, insider PR/Marketing setup all along....
tongue.gif

Put it in the same category as the photon as far as I am concerned! I have one of them on order from three different companies. One by one they were put in back order for over a month.

Bob, have you had trouble getting a Photon or are you talking about the x-sight? I saw a posting here on PM that lists a pawn shop that is selling a couple Photons if that helps. I don't think they are in the same catagory. Photons are here, somewhat available and they work without software bugs. If I had to make a choice between them today, I would still buy the Photon, based on my good experience with it, and my mistrust of ATN.

Originally Posted By: OverwatcherSo does anyone here ACTUALLY have one yet?

Yes, here is some information I collected going through the firmware update tonight.

The scope shipped with a NEON green paper insert that states the following:

Firmware 1.8.00.169

1) HDMI interface is not fully implemented
2) MicroSD card is required for the WiFi to work on Android
3) May notice an occasional blink in the recorded video in night mode
4) "Recorded Content" preview coming soon

Firmware 1.8.00.172

Verified to be installed on my factory fresh 5x X-sight, continuous zoom works

Firmware 1.8.00.173

Updated on 11-21-2014 - I have no idea what it changed or improved, the brightness quick set on the menu (light bulb) doesn't work - you have to go deeper into the display menu to adjust screen brightness

The scope ships with a quick reference pamphlet which is more quick than reference, the full owners manual is located here X-sight Owners Manual

Here is a very rude and crude video to illustrate the firmware verification, transfer to SD card, and eventual update to the latest version.

Benny. How does it compare to the photon? I have been trying to get my hands on one or the other and can't find one! I also can't decide which one to purchase. I saw where you didn't want to give a review, and I don't blame you after all of the bs surrounding this scope. But could you please give us a little taste? Also if you want to sell yours I will buy it in a heart beat!!!!

Originally Posted By: bobschauberBenny. How does it compare to the photon? I have been trying to get my hands on one or the other and can't find one! I also can't decide which one to purchase. I saw where you didn't want to give a review, and I don't blame you after all of the bs surrounding this scope. But could you please give us a little taste? Also if you want to sell yours I will buy it in a heart beat!!!!

Hi Bob -

I won't do a full field test review on the X-sight, there is a significant amount of cost and time that go into those projects and for reasons already spoken to I won't be producing a review that could be used as a shot in the arm of ATN marketing.

That said don't read into my decision as an ego thing as I intend to use the X-sight for my hunting if it turns out to be the best option.

At this point it is premature for me to give an IN DEPTH comparison to the PhotonXT as I have yet to field the X-sight however here are some primers from my handling of both:

From using it around the house I can tell you that the daytime function of the X-sight is superior to the Photon.

Specific to the 5x version the digital zoom and focus adjustment is superior to the Photon.

Things I don't immediately like is the "mushy" feel of the X-sight buttons and the current app functionality with my Android tablet. The buttons feel cheap and I like the Photons encoder wheel and simplistic menu layout.

Ultimately there is going to be countless variables in hunter's setups and preferred engagement ranges so settling on either the Photon or X-sight to me is really going to best be done by buying one of each - using them and deciding for yourself.

I have a feeling with the price points of both scopes the user reviews will be plentiful after December - so I myself look forward to watching the reviews as they are posted.

Have a good one!

Here are some user functionality drills and tutorials that I did today. (Will edit and post them later)

BB

Last edited:
Thanks Benny! I originally wanted the x-sight. I was turned off by the extended back orders and the ongoing talk from people opposing the x sight. I tried to order a photon scope and went through the same ordeal. I think I am going to be put back on a list to wait for the x sight. Maybe by the end of our fox season I will be in possession of one!

Back