Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !!

Traveled up this morning to Natural Bridge,Al to do some calling at a reclaimed strip pit thats been turned into a hunting club.....got up there around 7:30A and set up and called,.....nothing. We moved to 4 different locations during the day that we could see scat on the roads and still saw or heard NOTHING all day .
Thats the way it goes sometime I guess...but I'll keep after them
smile.gif

New to the forums here. Do my yote hunting in central alabama(dallas county) weather is just now starting to cool off enough to get out in the woods.

I caught a small female in a pasture hunting rats and made a 100 yard shot. Looking forward to getting more in Marion county

5yi6.jpg

Nite nite little boy..!!
I called this one in about two weeks ago down in Pickens County. Gave him a single dose of a 100 gr boolit out of a used Rem Model 7400 243 cal that I had bought just a week earlier and put a scope on it the day before. A good way to break a new to me rifle in I'd say
smile.gif
I got him to come within 35 steps of where I was sitting in a platform stand and I then lowered the boom on his behind. He never knew I was there as he was checking out my Mojo Critter thinking that the Mojo was his late afternoon snack, LOL

Glad to see you're having some luck. I was ale to call in a double last week,but only got one of them. The other one left in a hurry before I could get on him. Also got a bobcat Sunday while calling with a friend. I was calling and watching the off side when he came slipping in at about 50 yds. Keep up the good work and help me pull for JWM (new member to forums). He is the most unlucky critter hunter I've EVER saw, but we'll keep on till we get him one. Even a blind hog finds an acorn ever once in a while.

I caught the female in the pasture around 3:30 in the afternoon. I used a 17HMR to do the trick. I keep the 17HMR with me all the time just for instances like that. where I live, we have a lot of pastures and cows and coyotes seem to like the new born calves very well. we have a lot of problem varmints and I always keep a gun close. The 17 is small but carries a big punch. The coyote ran about 100 yards and fell over, never getting out of the pasture. I like to hunt with a 22-250 and since its getting hunting season, Ill probably switch over to it until deer season rolls in.

ge]

Hey guys,

Well I managed to get out early this morning and do some calling with Whitey21. I've managed to call in a few over the last couple weeks but for various reasons I haven't put anything down. Whitey got a new AR he wanted to break in so we were both itching. So we set up in the edge of a cow pasture I have hunted a few times before and it was still not quite shooting light yet. There was pretty much no wind and we put the caller about 40 yards out in front of where I sat. Luckily Whitey brought his FoxPro so I was hands free today! LOL. I let out a couple lone howls on my diaphragm call then Whitey went into some rabbit distess shortly after on the FoxPro. Within about six or seven minutes of being on stand two coyotes appeared from my right out of the woodline and trotted steadily up to with about twenty feet of the caller. The first coyote seemed a little skittish so I let out a short burst of pup distress on the diaphragm and that froze them in place and they looked hard toward the source of the sound. After my recent misses I didn't waste anytime and let the closest one have a 55 grain VMAX. She jumped about three feet in the air and spun one time and flop! Her partner ran off but came back for just a couple seconds with some Ki-yi's then decided he had seen enough and fled for good.

Once it was over and me and Whitey were recapping the stand he informed me he could not see either coyote from his position due to the grass being a little high and some scattered trees blocking his view. We were both pretty excited. Turned out to be a female down. Guessing she was about 25-30 pounds. Long story short she was my first coyote called in AND KILLED so I was pumped and am still pretty wound up about it! I already had the fever but now it's even worse. I was getting a little discouraged with all the empty stands and the ones I did call getting away but now I feel like things may be coming together a little bit. And thanks to you Whitey for being with me this morning.

Happy hunting guys and keep the stories coming.

KiYi, man oh man,..it dont get any better than that!!!Thats a good looking dog and I know you are very proud of your first one
thumbup.gif
drool.gif

Persistance pays off in coyote hunting and you done good son!!!!
You sound like me after I put my first one down earlier this year,...I had previously called in several but wasnt able to drop the hammer on one until July. WAY TO GO brotherman!!!
I have learned that if you have a good shot you had better take it when and as soon as you can because they wont hang around very long.

Now then,,....you and Whitey need to call me and lets get after some.
CONGRATS Kiyi!!

Thanks John,

We should make some plans to all get together and make some stands. I'm still fired. Got a week off work in a couple weeks and hope to get plenty of stands in then.

image_zps68d3e65f.jpg

Got this girl today. I went out with Bryan, but the wind was blowing so we went to call crows after a few stands. I saw her in the field before we got started. I missed a couple of long shots and had to sneak up on her. I got within 40 yards and shot her just above the eyes.

Congrats David!!! Thats a good looking dog there and I see that she is thickening up her fur for the cooler weather.
I like that 'DUH' look in her eyes too!! LOL
Good job brother.

I went out last Friday to Shelby County but like you the wind got up to 20 mph about 9am and then switched directions 180° so we didnt see anything. And we also called in some crows too after the wind got up.
What time did you pop this one David?

I'll be headed down to below Dadeville,Al in the morning ( leaving Birmingham at 5AM!!)to give it a try at a friend of mine's hunting club that has appx 4000 acres, he says they are seeing lots of yotes on their trail cams. I just hope the weather co-operates as its supposed to rain at some point tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night
frown.gif

Will update once I get back home Saturday. Yall be safe out there.
ROLL TIDE!!!!
John

LOL David!! Thx for the Bday wishes, but you know how us tide fans are
smile.gif

Went down for a Friday hunt and we overlooked some greenfields as well as clearcuts with some hilly terrain....made 5 or 6 different stands but saw nothing all day!! We could see signs of some scat in the roads but couldnt even get one to howl back or show themselves. I was able to call in some flocks of crows with the cottontail sounds though, thats about the only kind of critters we saw. The wind did get up at times but I just dont know if that had anything to do with it all. But it wasnt because I didnt try to call them up. Thats just the way it goes sometimes I reckon.
Looks like I need to get Whitey21 to take me out and show me how to do it...
smile.gif

Hi from Mobile. Relocated here 4 months ago, not place to hunt yet. There are 3 WMA's here. I'll prolly take a day next weekend to run over & check one of them out. I'm thinking the one with a range, so I can where & what it is.

Back