Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !!

Jim,
thanks for the reminder about the pm. I reckon it slipped by me or something. I will pm you my contact numbers and email addy if you care to chat anytime .

DRT, that is just NO FAIR!!
smile.gif
You have bagged 3 yotes and 1 cat and here I am left just holding an empty bag and have yet to pull the trigger on one, LOL I have deer hunted up toward Berry a long long time ago and used to go to Wolf Creek wildlife management area many moons ago to deer hunt.
Way to go my man!! Sure sounds like you have it figured out how to do it. If ever you teach yote classes at your location, please count me in!! I have a Johnny Stewart wireless caller with lots of soundcards as well as a couple of hand held open reed callers, a semi auto shotgun and my Ruger .270,... have ammo- will travel!!
smile.gif
Just holler at me please.

Im happy to see all the Bama folks on here replying. Thanks to everyone and lets keep it going. There seems to be lots of knowledge on here from all the guys and I think its great that we can share our tricks and what works and what doesnt work with each other.

Ok, what are you yote heads seeing once mid-spring and the warming days of summer arrive? Do you change your tactics for that time of year?
Thanks everybody!!
John.........(who has called some in but yet to bag one
wink.gif

Hey DeadRightThere, glad to hear from someone close. I haven't got to hunt in last few weeks but hope to soon. Let me hear from ya soon. Les

Mr. McGowan,
I only wish I had it figured out. I get crapped on more than I get to shoot but I truly love to try them. Any success I have is strictly the luck of the Irish. We really just have a lot of coyotes and there are not many around here calling.
Mr. Carr,
Good luck in getting back out there. I'm sure good things are coming, they'll be young and uneducated pups to hunt before long.

Best of luck,
DRT

Greetings and welcome from west Lauderdale county. My son (K9Killer here) and i get after the yotes whenever we can. Had a pretty good year this year. He does some trapping as well. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
6gunsonly, very nice pictures, did you kill those in Lauderdale Co.? How long did it take the bobcat to come in? i sat on a stand in Marion County for an hour before i saw a bobcat this past November.

Checking in from way down in the right corner lol. Waiting for turkey season to wind down then I will be out in force thinning out the population a bit.

Weve been out scouting and sign is everywhere. So I am pretty pumped. I am the only member in my club that hunts yotes so I have the whole place to myself. I'll check-in with results when I can.

Ya'll take care.
smile.gif

I'm late to the party, new to the board, but wanted to chime in...I've grown up hunting most everything Alabama has to offer, but haven't focused on predators until recently. I'm excited about the new challenge.

I'm making the move from B'ham to Huntsville/Decatur...I work odd hours, but if anyone gets room for one, or can point me in the right direction, give me a shout. Happy hunting.

Made a few stands out over the weekend didn't see anything but did have a woodpecker going all kinds of crazy in a pine across the fire road from where we were setup. I imagine we did call one in but couldn't get it to cross into the open

Lots of similar stands made off fire road junctions/intersections with no visible luck. We set up overlooking some clear cuts with a gentle cross breeze this am but again no luck.

Sign was everywhere, tracks, scat, adult and pup. Evening vocalizations were tremendous and the am was active too. I tried cottontail distress, pup distress, and some bird distress. I tossed some various howls in as all towards the end of the stand.

All in all great time was has and a perfect weekend to spend with my 11 yr old in the woods calling up some fun.

Wide open, welcome to the forum!

Str8,...Sounds as you are certainly in the right spot if you are seeing all this kind of sign on the ground. The best thing in my opinion is that you got to spend some great quality time togther with your 11 yo son.There's Nothing better than that in my book!!!

I have not been out at all since February, its been one thing after the other . Dont count me out though, I still want to get after them before it gets waaay too hot .
John

Originally Posted By: str8blkcoffeeMade a few stands out over the weekend didn't see anything but did have a woodpecker going all kinds of crazy in a pine across the fire road from where we were setup. I imagine we did call one in but couldn't get it to cross into the open

Lots of similar stands made off fire road junctions/intersections with no visible luck. We set up overlooking some clear cuts with a gentle cross breeze this am but again no luck.

Sign was everywhere, tracks, scat, adult and pup. Evening vocalizations were tremendous and the am was active too. I tried cottontail distress, pup distress, and some bird distress. I tossed some various howls in as all towards the end of the stand.

All in all great time was has and a perfect weekend to spend with my 11 yr old in the woods calling up some fun.

Check this out!!!!

I was going to Brookwood Mall today to get my hair cut. I live right off of GreenSprings Hwy on Berry Road if any of yall know where this is. Anyhoo, I left the house at 1:15p for my 1:30 appt and about 500 yards from my driveway on Berry I saw what I thought was a dog go across Berry Road. Keep in mind all this is residental area. As I get closer to where this animal crossed the road I look to the left and there is Mr Wiley Coyote standing in somebody's driveway looking right back at me!! I pull of to the left side of the road to watch him, he stays around for about 5 seconds and he hits some woods that separates two properties. He was a very pretty grey color and I'd estimate him to be a good 25 lbs.
Im feeling sorry for the folks that lets their pets roam free. Not 100 yards from where I saw the coyote I see a big white kittycat walking down the road. Im willing to bet that it wont be long before I hear of "my pet has disapaeared, has anyone seen it? "
John

I had seen something similar but where I live I'm more in the country than city although we are inside the city limits. I was driving down the road at about 230 in the afternoon and sitting on the side of the road was a big ole coyote. This was across from a neighborhood.

We live in a subdivision and we regularly hear howling behind our house. Of course we border the county and nothing but woods, fields, and a few creeks and ponds behind us.

What I need is to get off my butt and buy the tax stamp...

Hey guys! I'm from West Alabama and I just started coyote hunting last year. Ive been having some trouble calling them up this summer. I know they are with their pups right now. But when is the best time to call for coyotes in Alabama? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AlabamaYoteHunterHey guys! I'm from West Alabama and I just started coyote hunting last year. Ive been having some trouble calling them up this summer. I know they are with their pups right now. But when is the best time to call for coyotes in Alabama? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Hi AYH, welcome aboard!
Im be no means an expert, but I look at yote hunting like going bass fishing, anytime I can go is a good time
smile.gif
. Im not trying to be a smart arse, but Ive been on a few outings and didnt call up anything that we know of, but I take this outings as a chance to gain some experience and try to learn something new each time I go out. Basically, the more you have a chance to go, the better your chance of seeing something or better yet, dropping the hammer on one, know what I mean? As a buddy or mine puts it, you aint gonna kill nothing by sitting on the couch.

Where in W Al are you located at AYH?
John

Thanks! I try to go as much as I can! I'm slowly learning! I've called in a couple of bobcats and one coyote. I'm just having a little trouble this year! Hopefully when fall rolls around I'll have some luck! I'm located in Jefferson on the Tombigbee.

I'd say that you are not neccesarily doing anything wrong, just dont get discouraged if you go on a couple of stands and dont see or call up anything and keep after them doggies :),.. been there done that.
What sounds are you using to bring them in? You may want to change up the sounds some here and there so as not to educate the yotes that may be seeing you but you dont see them. Give them a little varity of different sounds and loudness.
If you've already called in some bobcats and a yote, you are already ahead of the game. Just remember that nothing is guaranteed each time we go out.
Im not sure where Jefferson is but when my dad was still living , we would go down to the Tombigbee hunting club located on Hwy 11 in Boligee each Saturday and deer hunt.That was some years 40+ ago when I was a young lad. You have you some prime real estate down there for some critters( Im jealous!!,LOL ) , keep at it and I know you will get to drop the hammer on one soon.
John

I've been using a Johnny Stewart electronic call. I've used a cottontail distress, rodent distress, and bark/howls. I think I might try a fawn distress since they are starting to be born. I'll also start with the sound low and work my way up. I don't want to spook anything.

We are pretty lucky at my land! We have big deer, tons of hogs, turkeys, lots of varmits, and a lot of predators!! It's a hunter's dream!

Hey guys,

New to PM and just getting into predator hunting. Glad to see so many in Alabama on here. I just started predator hunting at the end of deer season and looking for any advice or tips to help be more successful. I've got a flextone echo ecaller and a few mouth calls but still practicing with those. I'm shooting a Savage model 10 .243 and an AR.

I've managed to get permission to hunt several nice pieces of private property that vary in size and I know each have been known to have a fair amount of coyote activity. I've only been out a handful of times since I started before I decided to stop to let them rest during pup season. I did manage to call in a nice black coyote on my first trip to about 175 yards and rushed my shot and missed him. After that trip I was absolutely hooked.

I live in Leeds and hunt all over St. Clair County. Anyone else live or hunt close to me? If anyone is interested in meeting up for a hunt please let me know. I'm sure I could learn a lot from some of you more experienced hunters. I haven't run into anyone in my area that really targets predators and seem to have plenty all to myself around here. Any advice or tips such as what sounds you guys like or which sounds seem to work during certain times of the year or any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm working on getting permission for a few more pieces of property and plan to get back after em around dove season.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum KiYi.
Yes Sir, I'd be interested in going with you on a hunt if you wouldnt mind. I have a Johnny Stewart E-caller, a Mojo critter as well as a couple mouth calls for distess and howls and have been out several times and called some in but have not dropped the hammer on one yet.
I have sent you a pm with my contact info too.
Thanks,
John

BAM!!! I did it,... I got my very first kill Sunday down in Greene County!! A 30 pound female. I also dropped the hammer on another one Sunday that was larger, Im guessing he was a big male but we couldnt find him but I know for a fact I hit him, he was spinning round and round biting himself in the hindquarters then he ran off into some very thick cover after I shot him. We had already came across one cottonmouth so I didnt want to venture too far into the very thick swamp cover to go after him.It would have been a long ride out of the woods to the hospital to treat a snake bite, know what Im saying?

Can anyone help me/tell me with how to post pics?

Sunday was about 200% humidity and it didnt seem to affect the yotes any . I called in a total of 4 dogs Sunday, killed the female first at around 8:00am after calling for about 15 minutes , shot at one of two orange looking young dogs that were traveling together about 3:00pm, then hit the big one that ran off around 3:30 pm. I am SOOOO PUMPED I cant stand it!!! LOL I have killed my first yote !!
John

Back