Acouple of South Ga. Hogs

Nice Sow......those GA hogs are generally a lot larger than the ones I hunt in the woods here in FL. I hope to get up to GA and hunt some peanut fields soon and maybe shoot a few of those big boys.

Last edited:
Been mostly dogging game but did manage to take this nice boar this evening (after missing a chip shot on some pigs 30 minutes before.
1rrceb.jpg

A couple dogged hogs from last 2 weeks have caught about 16 so far.
2cfcnxd.jpg

2460sx0.jpg

Have posted some dogging videos on You Tube: Richard mccorkle
Thanks Richard

Went and checked a field Saturday evening and about 20 minutes before dark three different groups of hogs came out. Tried to put the sneak on one group and they made it back to the woodline. Focused on another group and used the pivot as a prop and shot a sow with the .308. Walked up to her and looked back and about 25 more popped out at about 200 yards. Worked in on that group and popped a decent sized black hog. Went to check it out and the durn thing jumped up and ran off sideways back into the swamp. Sure thought it was dead!!
hsqngk.jpg

Got the first hog on video will try to post. A little embarrassed by the second one running off and will delete that video. You Tube: Richard mccorkle

Pulled out the Ruger 223 and was able to plant this old scarface boar on the peanut field. Kept the irrigation line between us and wind was right and was able to cut the distance to less than 100 yards.
2n6sw20.jpg

Stonecreek, those are some very good looking hogs, and great hunts too.

Our south Georgia hunt back in December went well with my son taking two with his bow - it was a bow only hunt. We have yet another hunt with a different guy scheduled for the end of this month, but this will be a rifle hunt. We are looking forward to it. I understand there are some really large hogs where we are going.

Our farm and the area around here is heavy crop area which results in heavy and healthy looking hogs. Guiding a gun hunt this evening and dogging this weekend. We are west of Lake Blackshear in Sumter County. Richard

Our hunt will be near Macon, at a place called Reynolds. This will be my first hunt there. The earlier bow hunt was a few miles from Jesup.

Took Caro and a .22 mag and decided to work a field road between a swamp and the peanut field yesterday evening. Not much happening and was headed back to truck when she threw her head up and raced across the field. Decent north wind and she was soon bayed up on about ten nice hogs just off an irrigation ditch at about 480 yards. The group just bunched up and did not break an occasional hog would make a run at her. At about 100 yards was able to put a shot in the back end of one decent sow and then the group broke. Caro was able to anchor the sow. Go Pro'ed the original bay but everything at that distance looks like small dots. Was proud of the dog for keeping em in check.
2iifuhl.jpg

8mm when's your dates....I have a hunting camp 2 miles from Reynolds...have hunted there in Reynolds for 3 or 4 years....lots of hogs. Hit me up.....maybe we could meet

Caro really gets the job done for you. It takes a good dog to do what she does in a one-out situation. I've had a couple like that and they are special. You really miss them when they're gone.
If you ever breed her I'd like to be in line for a pup.

Congrats on a great hunt. The solos like that are pretty awesome. (Until it's time to drag one out by yourself
wink.gif
)

Canuroper,
Will do on a pup. Just picked up a real nice Ladner bred BMC in Tenn. If he makes a dog then I would breed em up. Richard

Originally Posted By: larryb8mm when's your dates....I have a hunting camp 2 miles from Reynolds...have hunted there in Reynolds for 3 or 4 years....lots of hogs. Hit me up.....maybe we could meet

LarryB, we will be arriving on the 31st of March sometime in late afternoon or early evening, and will leave Sunday morning the 3rd of April. Would be nice to meet you. I'll send you an e-mail with phone number etc.

Good afternoon hunt yesterday. Stayed in hogs from get go. Here is a pic of a decent hog that we raced for about a mile and the dogs kept him in check for almost 30 minutes, we caught another on our way to him.
2n8afdd.jpg

Nice going Stonecreek. Boy, that sure is some flat land down your way. I imagine you get some rather long shots.

Back