Ackleys from Southern Precision Rifles

fw707

Greg Young in Naples, FL did the barrel work on these.

I bought a couple of barrels from Greg a while back, and sent him my actions for the installation work.
Both of them showed up at my door a little over 4 weeks later, and I dropped them in HS stocks that I had ready to go.

Here's the first one:

IMG_0996.jpg

It's a Brux 8 twist Varmint contour 26" long in an older HS Precision "VS" stock. I dropped a Timney in it last week.
Greg chambered it in .243 Ackley. I've got a decent 105 A-Max load worked up for it, and I had no problem ringing a steel silhouette at 945 yards a couple of weeks ago.

And, here's the second one:

IMG_0999.jpg

It's a Rock 8 twist Varmint contour 22" long in an HS Precision "LTR" stock.
Greg chambered this one in .223 Ackley.
We shot it a couple of weeks ago with some fire-forming 75 A-Max loads, and by buddy LOBO151 wadded 5 up in a single spot on a steel plate at 400 yards.
I've been working on a load in Ackley brass the last couple of days, and I think I've found one with RL-15.

IMG_1004.jpg

Sorry, they're not the required 5-shot groups, but they are 3 consecutive 4-shot groups at 100 yards so they ain't too shabby for the 10x scope.

Thanks Greg!!

Greg Young
Southern Precision Rifles
239-289-2338

Last edited:
what i wouldn't do to own one of those rifles...or shoot that good consecutively. one [beeep] of a set of rifles you have

Last edited:
I'm digging the 223AI! Looks great. I'd like to see a few more of those loads 20 off, but it's an obvious shooter for sure!

I'm going to ehave to end up with a 223AI one day just casue all you "internet guys"... You feeding it from magazine any???

Now I got to talk you into a 6BR one day
thumbup.gif

Edit: What does the 223 weigh with that NF attached?

Last edited:
Yep, I'm hoping the 20 off load will just stay consistent. I don't expect a repeat of the group any time soon.
laugh.gif

What I liked most was the consistency in the 3 groups.

I did a modification to the magazine box, and the long rounds fit just fine. I've had the bolt miss a couple of rounds, but it's because the follower seems to be weak in the back end and doesn't push the back of the round up like it should.
The steep-shouldered round feeds into the chamber just fine.

I'll get my turkey-weighing scales out after while and get an accurate weight for you.

She likes a jump. Good looking rifles and targets. I may have to revisit the 243 ackley idea if I torch my new tube. I left some extra meat on the chamber end just incase I do. You dang internet groupies
rolleyes.gif

Fw707 how far were those groups?Great shooting.I have a .243 I'm shooting 105 out of and doing pretty good but not that good.I did not know if the 105 would work with the 9.25 twist but it seems ok.
Again great groups and I bet you can do it again,that 223 is doing good.It's great when something works out like you had it planed once in a while.

I just bought a Dakota Predator in 223AI. Nesika single shot action 1 in 10 twist. Can't wait to here about your future exploits with yours. Grizz

Originally Posted By: tnshootistFw707 how far were those groups?Great shooting.I have a .243 I'm shooting 105 out of and doing pretty good but not that good.I did not know if the 105 would work with the 9.25 twist but it seems ok.
Again great groups and I bet you can do it again,that 223 is doing good.It's great when something works out like you had it planed once in a while.

100 yards.

tn,
I've got a bad habit of shooting good groups one day, and then the next day I couldn't hit a bull in the arse with a handful of sand. I'd be tickled if it would stay under 1/2" most of the time.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistWell you should stay under 1/2 inch unless you fall on the gun and bend the barrel.

I've been known to do stuff like that!!
laugh.gif

Thanks Rammer!
I gotta give all the credit to Greg Young. He sure knows how to chamber and screw on a barrel!

Originally Posted By: coleridgeEdit: What does the 223 weigh with that NF attached?

It's 10.0 pounds exactly, nekkid without the stock pack and an empty mag, on the digital fish/turkey scales.

Last edited:
Back