24 Varminter ?

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Do you know what the shoulder change gains in powder capacity?
Seems like 10 twist would be a much better twist option.

24 Varminter is 35.7gr H2O

Hagar is 37 to 37.5 I think.
Not sure on the 6dti or 6x6.8.
Once again why the 8 twist? That kinda contradicts the name varminter. Imo 8 twist is less than ideal for varmint weight bullets which is the same issue with the nxs.
My 22" 6dti is a 12 and it likes 58s so well I shot 5 at 31.8 8208 and called it good. I never tried anything else.
24" 10 twist hagar like 60s 65s 70s 80s and 87s. My 28" 8 only like the 65s and they were chambered with the same reamer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Hagar is 37 to 37.5 I think.
Not sure on the 6dti or 6x6.8.
Once again why the 8 twist. That kinda contradicts the name varminter. Imo 8 twist is less than ideal for varmint weight bullets.

Again the Hagar is dead with no brass or anything it can be made from. We went with a 8 twist because we felt it suited our needs very well. From 55-95gr with zero issues. You could definitely do a slower twist if you’d Iike to, it may just take much longer to get a barrel.

Last edited:
Seems like the 8 twist only option and shortening the brass 50 thousandths to accommodate longer 105gr bullets both contradict the varminter. I’m sure it’s a great chamber though. Sounds similar to a 6dti only less capacity.

H335 is supposedly temp sensitive as well. I'd like to see 8208 speeds with 58s. That will tell the tale as far as how it compares to the 6 dti and 6x6.8 as everyone with those cartridges has tried that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Do you know what coal any of the popular bullets hit the lands at?

The most popular 6mm Varmint bullet is the 70 NBT, 2.295”. 87 vmax, 80 NBT, 90 TGK are all 2.295”. Of course duramag you can load to 2.298”. Lighter bullets can’t load as long due to them being short and needing to enough bullet shank in contact with the case mount, you probably know that already.

Originally Posted By: DholsappleSeems like the 8 twist only option and shortening the brass 50 thousandths to accommodate longer 105gr bullets both contradict the varminter. I’m sure it’s a great chamber though. Sounds similar to a 6dti only less capacity.

Where did we shorten the case 50 thousands? And where did you see we are loading 105’s?

Do you know what coal that actually are against the lands though?
I assume you load at 2.298 try to get as close as possible to the lands while functioning in a steel mag.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Do you know what coal that actually are against the lands though?
I assume you load at 2.298 try to get as close as possible to the lands while functioning in a steel mag.

I load to mag length, I don’t single feed so it doesn’t really matter to me in AR like it does in a bolt rifle.

Point being people who want these non factory cartridges are gonna be picky about bullet jump etc. Most guys wanna get within .020".
55 and 70 noslers bts have to loaded out about .115 longer that 58 and 65 vmax and about .125 longer than a 60 sierra hp to get to the lands. If the noslers hit at a short coal the chamber won't lend its to those other bullets without eating powder capacity.

That's the problem with the .117 freebore hagar. 70 bts are almost 1/4" from the lands at 2.295" which can't be good.

Last edited:
You are actually proving our purpose, which is having something with readily available components where you don't have to work so hard for speed and accuracy. No max load needed to reach great velocities. No limit on 6mm bullet weights, though we focus on the 55 to 75 grain weights for our use. Mag length and you're good to go. Excellent accuracy. Etc, etc. I don't spend the time some do to make an AR15 hunting cartridge I'm only shooting max 400-500 yards, work well.

I was looking for load data and found that on the msre forum as the first post describing what the 24 gpc is. The one who posted it stated

“The 24 GPC is a necked down 27 GPC with the shoulder pushed back and case shortened to optimize it to run up to 105 grain bullets.”

Also stated the trim length was 1.62… the 6.8spc and 6x6.8 trim length is 1.676…. I believe that’s 56 thousandths shorter. It is possible the information I saw was wrong though.

That's the issue with the Tactical Ordinance 6x6.8. You gotta cram a 58 down to 2.220 to get it to chamber. If the chamber was .040 longer it would have been ideal because most other bullets hit at a longer oal except the varmaggedon hp 55. However imo finding those lands is key to accuracy and it cant be way out there. I find people have different ideas on what great accuracy is as well. Especially day in day out repeatable accuracy. Most guys that don't ask these questions don't reload and won't get involved with a cartridge that's has no factory ammo available. Those people are forced to the 6 arc which are all chamber and twisted for non varmint weight bullets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Point being people who want these non factory cartridges are gonna be picky about bullet jump etc. Most guys wanna get within .020".
55 and 70 noslers bts have to loaded out about .115 longer that 58 and 65 vmax and about .125 longer than a 60 sierra hp to get to the lands. If the noslers hit at a short coal the chamber won't lend its to those other bullets without eating powder capacity.

That's the problem with the .117 freebore hagar. 70 bts are almost 1/4" from the lands at 2.295" which can't be good.
CB-PRI-Mod-Mag-2.jpg

Cavity Back Bullets does this to a PRI mag for a claimed 2.36 COAL
It's an old trick and it seems like any metal mag could be used.

I didn't know PRI made mags with the front cut out or were they cut by you? I will be having a few of those if they do.
Still only gets you to 2.340ish if I recall?

70 bts are still off the land .195" or so in my Hagar that was done with what I think was the .117 freebore reamer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I didn't know PRI made mags with the front cut out. I will be having a few of those.
Still only gets you to 2.340ish if I recall?

70 bts are still off the land .195" or so in my Hagar that was done with what I think was the .117 freebore reamer.
Take another look at my post.
CBB does the mod.
2.36 is what is claimed.

Ahhh I missed the text below the pic. I was gonna cut a few myself but never did yet upon being able to reach the lands and find good accuracy with several bullets other than noslers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerYou are actually proving our purpose, which is having something with readily available components where you don't have to work so hard for speed and accuracy. No max load needed to reach great velocities. No limit on 6mm bullet weights, though we focus on the 55 to 75 grain weights for our use. Mag length and you're good to go. Excellent accuracy. Etc, etc. I don't spend the time some do to make an AR15 hunting cartridge I'm only shooting max 400-500 yards, work well.

I probably missed this somewhere, but who is supplying the barrel blanks for these? Your getting impressive speeds from this chamber without maxing it out

Back