.204 for Coyotes

Silverfox........

instead of collecting dust, why don't you sell me those .243's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

maybe someone should start a "poll" asking wether the .204 is "enough" for coyotes? That would be interesting!!

bl00dtrail-- Sure would like to be able to sell the .243s, but common sense and fear keep me from doing so. My Belgian made Browning BAR will NEVER be for sale as long as I am drawing a breath and I still like to trot out the M77 Ruger in .243 with the 58 gr. V-Max bullets and blow up a prairie dog or two when I'm out. After 5 or 6 shots, it goes back into the rifle case and I start shooting the LOW RECOIL .17 Remington and .204 Ruger so I can see the action and reaction in the scope!!!!

Besides, everyone seems to "know" that the .204 Ruger and .17 Remington are not nearly enough for consistently downing coyotes, except for some 15 to 20 yard shots and even then you get "runners" on about every other shot. That may mean I have to trot out my trusty old M77 Ruger in .243 to be able to put down those coyotes and NEVER experience any runners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NOT!!!!!!

Oh my goodness, someone needs to tell the dozen or so coyotes I killed this year with that worthless 204 that they are'nt really dead and that they could only be killed with a dear rifle and someone that can't hit what their aming for.

Quote:
Oh my goodness, someone needs to tell the dozen or so coyotes I killed this year with that worthless 204 that they are'nt really dead and that they could only be killed with a dear rifle and someone that can't hit what their aming for.

I definately don't have a dog in this fight! But why would someone who hunts with a "deer caliber" be unable to hit what they are aiming for?

Last edited:
I realy don't think theres any thing wrong with the 204 ruger or the 243 for coyotes .I think the problem is the people squezzing these triggers.There is not a coyote on earth that can stand 500 ft lbs.of energy in any vital area it does'nt matter if its comming from a daisy bb gun.

Well I'm in the same condition as Dogger. A little dazed and confused. I'm so out to lunch on the subject I had to see for myself so I went and bought one yesterday. I was so undecided though, I actually started out looking for a .220 swift. All I could find was heavy barrels and one sporter Ruger 77 with a plain walnut wood stock, not the pretty laminated, which I may still buy. (I know... I said I wouldn't by another Ruger... ) One place did have a Rem SPS in .204 and it had all the features I was looking for so I bought it.

Bad news is now I have to buy the little woman a new washer and dryer. What's up with that? I don't remember her being there when I was putting in all that overtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Other bad news is they didn't have any ammo. Had to order 6 boxes of 40gr V-Max on the web to build up some brass.

I think bullet construction and choice is the key like Silverfox and DAA said. I figure if it still doesn't kill coyotes, it will make a dandy groundhog gun for the boy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good hunting

bloodtrail:

I may be ignorant also, but how did you make the leap from what you quoted to what your comment states? I don't see anywhere in that quote where it was stated that the 243 or any other deer caliber was inaccurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I think his point was that using a bigger caliber to offset poor shooting ability was not an answer to anything.

Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure that suggesting that anyone is ignorant or that their comments are ignorant really adds a lot to the discussion.

- BCB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sorry, I modified it (too tired) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.....

I knew I should have stayed out of this.... I just wanted Silverfox to sell me his .243's dirt cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dang, for a round that "NO ONE LIKES" (kidding) this little sucker gets more ink than a "bucket of squid". Back to the numbers.

bloodtrail:

Thanks for modifying it. That looks like a more intelligent, thoughtful, response to what Ronnie said.

Hope you find some 243's "dirt cheap". Doesn't sound like Silverfox is going to accomodate ya', however. I know him, and he's smarter than that. - BCB

Quote:

Hope you find some 243's "dirt cheap". Doesn't sound like Silverfox is going to accomodate ya', however. I know him, and he's smarter than that. - BCB

LOL...... I was just kidding..... I know Silverfox wouldn't fall for that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back