.204 for Coyotes

Rattler, you can post all the tables and figures there are. The truth about the 204 comes from actual in the field use.
I gave it a real go except for reloading. The round was disappointing. I had ????? about it after the 2nd dog I shot and it ran. A perfect 60 yard broadside shot. A 223 or Swift would have put it down. It did put several down at longer distances, most were facing me. All my runners were shot broadside, and with large entrance holes, usually with a lung hanging out. I had 6 runners and one lost over my period of testing. To me that is way too many. After the last shot and lost animal I lost all confidence with the 204.
Holes and fur damage??? It(204) was as bad and sometimes worse than my Swift.
I guess everyone is looking for that magic cartridge that will run faster than a Swift, drop them dead in the tracks like a Swift and have no fur damage. I'll keep shooting a Swift, it has definitely proven itself.

Oh, Great!!

This week the perfect coyote round is the 220 Swift. Last week it was the 243 Winchester... the week before that it was the 17 Remington.... I don't remember what it was the week before that!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Here's my early vote for next week (With reasoning):

A 120 MM smothbore cannon on an Abrams Tank

1. Shooting range is never an issue when calling.
2. Shot placement is not as critical as with other
rounds with less residual energy.
3. A hit results in mostly bang-flops - very
few spinners or runners.
4. Sewing up holes in hides is never an issue.

Down sides:

1. Good reliable ammunition is not sold in most gun
shops and reloading costs are kinda' high.
2. Its hard to keep the coyote in the scope when
the shot is made.
3. Sewing up holes in hides is never an issue.

Anyone have any thoughts about next week?

Maybe what we really need are coyotes that all understand they are supposed to fall over dead immediately when hit - no exceptions! - BCB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

"Maybe what we really need are coyotes that all understand they are supposed to fall over dead immediately when hit - no exceptions!"

Absolutely! And I'm doing all I can to teach that lesson to as many yotes as I can. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is my quandry, I have shot many coyotes, about a 100, using the 22-250 all with a 40 grain serria HP behind 39 grains of bl-c2 powder, this is running about 3900 fps give or take a few fps, this bullet has a bc of .131, 99% of my coyotes were bang flop, some were head on shots some were broadside. NOW the quandry is, the 204 shoots a 40 grain bullet with a bc of .275 at about the same speed, Only a whole bunch more accruate, Given these stats why would the 22-250 be better than the 204. Im in the market and I am curiuous

Howler,
Just buy one and you'll be another in the myriad of satisfied customers. I know a bunch of guys who are having a blast with theirs...shooting P-dogs to yotes. Remember, science knows no loyalty. It's all numbers.

Quote:
Rattler, you can post all the tables and figures there are. The truth about the 204 comes from actual in the field use.
I gave it a real go except for reloading. The round was disappointing. I had ????? about it after the 2nd dog I shot and it ran. A perfect 60 yard broadside shot. A 223 or Swift would have put it down. It did put several down at longer distances, most were facing me. All my runners were shot broadside, and with large entrance holes, usually with a lung hanging out. I had 6 runners and one lost over my period of testing. To me that is way too many. After the last shot and lost animal I lost all confidence with the 204.
Holes and fur damage??? It(204) was as bad and sometimes worse than my Swift.
I guess everyone is looking for that magic cartridge that will run faster than a Swift, drop them dead in the tracks like a Swift and have no fur damage. I'll keep shooting a Swift, it has definitely proven itself.

This is the first and only time that I have read where someone has had that kind of luck with a .204. Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your gun, like the operator? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Maybe you purchased a lemon. I don't know.

In any event, I like the .204! I agree with you, field use is the true test and me and mine have performed flawlessly. It's a coyote killer! Every one I've shot with mine thus far has been bang, flop out to 300 yds. Believe me, if I didn't like it for any reason I would say something about it. I don't like it when I spend my money on junk and I would certainly let you know.

Last edited:
I sure am happy to see so many people put the 204 down, maybe I can get my brass a little sooner. The 204 is just fine for coyotes. I guess it's kinda like saying a 243 is not big enough for deer ( wish I'd known that for the last thirty years). Mine has worked well on coyote this winter. Would I put my 22-250 up and never use it on coyote again? No, but it sure is fun to use and just as effective.

Rattler
Looks like we have an apple to oranges deal here.
The Remington chart you used put the 204 in its best light while putting the others at a disadvantage.

The 204 is loaded to max capacity with its heave bullet- the swift is down loaded with a sorry bullet & the 250 is in the middle. That my friend is not the world I live in.

I do not own a 204 – never fired one- but have come to a few conclusions through the experience of others on this board. The problem with the 204 is Bullets-ie
they sometime blow on impact- = runners =s lost dogs. The kill zone is SMALLER with a 204 than the 22s or the 6MMs- you have to miss the bone-have the right angle.

With my 250 I can shoot through both shoulders not caring about the angle.

Bullets are not available at this time (may never be) to solve this issue. Yea you can kill them but even Silverfox admits to runners with what might be a bang flop with a swift & a good bullet.Where the rubber meets the road is in Bullet Performance.

Folks like Bob Addy who have been there & done that are hard to ignore.

No way will a 20 cal. kill with the 22s or the 6MMs

Last edited:
Oh, you are right, for the .204 coyotes are definitely an upper end kill (But, as SD points out very capable), while the 6mm (deer round) and 22-250 (bore burner)can blow the living heck out of them...along with a 30-06, 7mm and a bazooka. Why are we here again?

Funny thing...I went to Sportsmans Wareouse in Reno Good Friday and they are ALWAYS out of .204 Hornady bullets, rounds, brass. The store guy said it typically sells out in a half day or so. I feel sorry for all us "poor duped" .204 shooters. Would someone please free us from our misguided addiction so that we, too can once again fire other wildcats or preferably more obscure rounds? All these years and I have never aimed for the shoulder with any caliber. I'll have to work on my technique.

Lucky for me...I avoided all these controversial issues. How...you may ask??????

Well, I'm shooting the heretofore unknown....18.5 Langley Gangstrom Hootenberger Magnum.

So far, results are excellent...little to no recoil, outstanding accuracy, and the best part; I've yet to find any visible entry or exit holes.

Even better...when I walked up to the slain coyote and picked him up by the tail; his entire carcass slid out his mouth. So much for skinning.

Does it get any better than this???????

Touche' Wonk1.
MY .204 OATH: From now on I promise to: Not shoot at/or near COYOTES with a caliber LARGER than a .19 or SMALLER than a .21, for clearly this "sandwiched" .20 round is ineffective and a major dissapointment to all who have tried these weapons. The duration of this promise ends September 15, 2005, when, once again, I will venture afield with my faddish, hyped-up ineffective weapon and commence to aim at the SHOULDER of all coyotes within my weapons effective range (evidentally less than 200 yards). I will also promise to dismiss and destroy all chrono paper that reflects bullet speeds exceeding 4,000+ fps...as well as retrograde (used) targets reflecting 3/8 inch groups or smaller. I will also totally disreguard any 50 grn Berger developed rounds that would only FURTHER dissapoint me. Additionally, since my weapon of choice is a Savage, I will keep it covered from the eyes of the public because SOMEONE said Savages are ugly (Oh God, No! A barrel nut! The horror!) Do we hear ourselves? It's a gun, a tool.

I really like my 204 ruger it drops coyotes in their tracks and most important I get to watch the show through my scope.It is a real blast.

Ten reasons why the 204 Ruger IS NOT an effective coyote killer are:

10. I read it in a gun magazine in an article written by someone who just shot one for the first time - and he's always right.

9. I've read that the bullet will drift in the wind too much.

8. I've read that the bullet does not have enough energy to kill a coyote.

7. I've heard it's a barrel burner.

6. I've read accuracy is questionable.

5. I've read that too many coyotes have not died instantly when hit with "well placed" shots.

4. Its not as effective as my proven coyote killer caliber that I've used for years - never had one run off.

3. No one - ABSOLUTELY NO ONE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif - is finding factory velocities when they chronograph loads.

2. Its just like a 17 - neither will kill coyotes - and I've read that in several places, so it must be a fact.

And Number 1.

I don't have one and have never shot one, but I was only four tables away from a guy at my local range who had one, and now I'm an expert on why the 20 caliber won't kill a coyote.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's the theoretical side of the issue.

Then there are folks who have shot the 204 Ruger - and other 20 caliber rifles - and found them to be very flat shooting, hard hitting rifles that are perfectly capable of killng anything from coyotes on down at extended ranges.

But what can anyone who has extensively shot a 20 caliber rifle really contribute to the discussion when those packed with theories don't want to listen, or won't try a 20 caliber if they haven't, or write the 20 caliber off becasue of some bad experiences that can and have happened with all rifles and calibers?

- BCB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bayou City Boy,
I could not agree with you more. I have heard all these same reasons and because of it I will do what I need to do.

Tomorrow I am ordering a new gun. Actually two. My partner and I both want new guns. Because of all the bad 204 raps and coyotes running with good hits the decision is in.

Tomorrow my FFL guy is ordering two Ruger M77 all weather 204s. Yup we like to hunt, never said we liked to kill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Skinner 2

Dangit Skinner 2,
Now when our new guns arrive I'll have to Park it the closet next to the .243 that is probably no longer effective on coyotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Then we'll have order us each one of them 22-250's or them swifty things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My swifty thing kills coyotes and lots of them. My fur buyer bought a little over 6000 coyotes this season. He had the opportunity to talk to a lot of .204 shooters and only one was impressed. Most had the same opinion as Bob Abby.

The reports he heard and seen were either they never caused any fur damage or the damage was excessive. The #1 complaint was that the coyotes would run off after hit. For now the .204 still sounds like just another cartridge you can get by with or a "just to be different" round. I think I will handle things swiftly next year. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Back