.17 Rem or .17-204?

I ain't up to date on what all Hornady makes, but it looks like to me that's about every bullet and loaded ammo Hornady manufactures. Might as well shut and lock the doors.

But yeah, it's the internet. Even a dumbazz like me could forge something like that and take pictures of it without even breaking a sweat.

Who knows. lmao

If that list is real, I see a lot of key bullets on it. There are a lot that I use or am going to work loads up for. If that is true, I will be changing brands of bullets when I have to get a new load. I will be selling off the ones I do have on that list if I wont be able to get them.

Here's the link again. Look at the top of the page.

http://www.hornady.com/

Two things are obvious:

1. Someone is maybe perpetuating a huge hoax.

2. Many people believe whatever they see or read on the internet as being the gospel truth.

Just for the record, my comments are coming from someone who does not buy a lot of Hornady products. However, spreading this kind of crap without actual verification is not useful to anyone.

What it seems like to me is they're gearing up for a massive reset, retool, etc of their manufacturing site. Maybe a new building, better equipment, hopefully to stave this off in the future. It all seems a bit weird. Maybe a call to Hornady is in order?

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pahntr760...... Maybe a call to Hornady is in order?

Ya' think.....?

Go ahead. Make a call to them Monday. I would, but there's some logistical obstacles in place for me.

The same information in the Hornady website link was posted to their Facebook page in February, but this fax has a July 5 time stamp on it (just an observation). I'm sure one could call the business on the fax that recieved it, see what they say. I just posted the list as was requested. I never suggested validity, one way or the other.

If they even considered ending production of 17 bullets for this year, I will be driving to NE. Faces will be slapped.

Travis

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pahntr760...... Maybe a call to Hornady is in order?

Ya' think.....?

Go ahead. Make a call to them Monday. I would, but there's some logistical obstacles in place for me.

The same information in the Hornady website link was posted to their Facebook page in February, but this fax has a July 5 time stamp on it (just an observation). I'm sure one could call the business on the fax that recieved it, see what they say. I just posted the list as was requested. I never suggested validity, one way or the other.

I'm not in doubt about the answer. Call 'em yourself - electronically - if you now need verification. That doesn't seem to present any "logistical obstacles" for you.

Wished this would have come out a week ago.

I shoot with some of the guys from Hornady, and I could have asked them last weekend......

I'm in the process of building a 17-204 just sent the parts to the smith.
I've had a 17 rem and currently have a 17FB, the biggest reason I went with the 17-204 is that I have Redding dies and alot of extra 204 brass and a good supply of 30gr Bergers and Golds.
If I would have built a 17 rem I would have had to buy dies and brass, since I didn't keep them when I got rid of my 17rem,
so for me it was a little cheaper plus the added bonus of pushing the 30's just a little bit faster

Last edited:
Sorry didnt mean for you guys to get all upset. I seen this posted on 6.8 forum by a guy who got it from his ffl guy. Maybe it's all bs? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I don't know either. But Graf's is showing some Hornady stuff as "Temporarily unavailable from manufacturer" instead of the usual "out of stock."

I'm sure we'll know on Monday.

Travis

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Winny Fanhttp://www.hornady.com/support/availability

Link updated

Now it's official, huh?

And any further internet speculation covering pages and pages of guessing and teeth gnashing, such as the stuff that begins with, "What it seems like to me......." should now be off the table.

It's simply called making what sells in the largest quantities you can and no longer currently making what doesn't sell in big quantities. Along this line, many companies have been running seasonal items for years to maximize production of good sellers and to minimize down time of equipment. A good example you hear a lot about is 222 Rem Mag brass.

Hornady's original lists that got leaked to the buying public before the official word on the issue was publicly released by Hornady clearly shows that is what they are doing in the short term. And it is what they are saying.

Don't fret however as things will return to "today's normal" later on. "Today's normal" simply means you might have to plan a bit better if you like to shoot a really low demand item and get it when its available rather than assuming it will always be available when you want it.

Originally Posted By: scouteyesI have I 17/223 in a ar platform. I can shoot 223 or204 brass in it.Both are just a neck down. My are likes the 204 brass w/25gr hornadys. I use the 223 brass w/30 an 36gr bullets. Both are flying about 3800fps an are sub mia.223 an 204 brass is usually cheaper and easier to find than 17rem brass. I average 150fps faster w/17/223 than the 17rem an 200fps w/17/204 than the 17rem. IMHO the 17/204 17/223 are more adorable. Than the 17rem.
Have fun with your build 17,s are addictive.

I thought I was pretty up on the 17 calibers. I even remember when H&R brought out the 17-223, then later Remington hit the market with the 17 Rem. and it became the primier 17 caliber for commercial market.
Now what I don't remember is how the 17-223 was that much faster than the 17 Rem. and pushing the 17-204 velocities?
I guess I need to do a refresher course on the 17's again. If the 17-223 is truely that close to the velocities of a 17-204, then that would be the way to go.
I'm seeing Chronograph reports of 4300-4400fps with the 17-204 using 30gr. bullets, 4100-4200 with a 17 Tac, and 3700-3800 with a 17Rem. Barrel lengths were from 22-25".
Again, if a 17-223 is within 200fps of a 17-204 using 30gr. bullets, then I'll go that route. I have lots of 223 brass and it would be a simple neck down versus the 17 Tac. or even a 17-204.
I'm impressed. And to think they say you can't teach old dogs new tricks!!
w00t.gif

After doing more research and asking some 17-223 owners how there 17-223 compares to the 17 Rem. it seems the claim that the 17-223 is much faster then the 17 Rem. and is close to the 17-204 is just not true. Had me scratching my head there for awhile.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K22After doing more research and asking some 17-223 owners how there 17-223 compares to the 17 Rem. it seems the claim that the 17-223 is much faster then the 17 Rem. and is close to the 17-204 is just not true. Had me scratching my head there for awhile.
crazy.gif

Both the 17 Rem and thr 17-223 have the same case capacity - they are ballistically, the exact same cartridge - they just don't fit in the other's chamber.

Back