Superior Shooting Systems Buffer Spring Review

I ordered the spring and the CWS will just have to wait a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been hearing about this spring for a while and was curious if it works. So thanks for the info.

Jimmy

PS we need to get Mike to stock these and offer them as a option on his rifles. That way we would not have to do this ourselfs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tac,

I don't know about the CWS installation, but you WOULD be able to move it from one rifle to another if you chose to do so. Hangtime can brief you on the install.

Glad you asked about the hydraulic buffers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Be advised...you DO NOT want to use hydraulic buffers with the flat-wire spring. The added strength of this spring over the factory spring will collapse the buffer. It will function, but not as intended and the money will be wasted.

You guys are EVIL.... Now I'm thinking about the fact that I NEED these.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Quote:
You guys are EVIL.... Now I'm thinking about the fact that I NEED these.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bill, it's like shooting a different rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go ahead......you KNOW you want at LEAST one of them to try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hidalgo,
So basically the new spring and CWS would replace the hydraulic buffer or negate the need for one, correct?

These ARs are really eating away at the kids college fund!

Quote:
Hidalgo,
So basically the new spring and CWS would replace the hydraulic buffer or negate the need for one, correct?

These ARs are really eating away at the kids college fund!

I agree on the college fund. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tac, I have never had any experience with the hyd buffers, but I have talked to 2 people who bought hyd buffers after they had already purchased the flat-wire springs, and they said that the springs collapsed the buffer during installation. From what I can gather, the spring will do you more good than the buffer. The buffer "softens" things, while the spring actually speeds things up. The prolonged bolt lock-up is what you're after. A buffer won't contribute in that regard.

Quote:
Just checked out the AR CWS, where do you install it on the carrier? and is this the only place that sells this product? Also, once you install this can you remove it and add it to a different carrier?

This sounds like something that would great on my 204.
Anyone use the buffer pads? Or the mercury filled/hydraulic buffers?

The biggest complaint I have with my ARs is the spring sound. Don't know if there is a cure for that yet but I would be interested in that.

The CWS installs from the back of the carrier. It just slides in, with a flange resting against the back of the carrier to keep it from going too far forward. Then one of the two weights slides into that, again from the rear.

I've never seen any of Tubb's products anywhere but on his site. Doesn't mean there aren't others, but I've never run across them. I used to go thru Canadian TX. all the time, and now wished I had taken the time to look him up. I may still, as I don't live too terribly far from him. I'm just guessing here, but suspect him to be wealthy. I only say this, because he keeps such a low profile, even though he's well known in high power shooting circles. If he were to advertise on the "big AR" site, he probably couldn't keep product in stock. I can easily understand why he DOESN'T advertise there however.

Since this product is just a slide fit, you can easily switch between carriers, taking no longer than it takes to break the weapon down.

I've never used buffer pads, or anything but the stock buffer. It seems to me that these two products eliminate the need to "experiment" with different types of buffers, and buffer weights, thus eliminating the trial and error method, saving money in the long run, though that's just my supposition.

As I stated in an earlier post, it got rid of the "sproing" sound in my A2 stock. YMMV.

I think Hildago summed it up pretty well, in that it's more like shooting a bolt action than a gas gun. Just a rock solid feel. Can't think of a better way at the moment to describe it.

Hope this helps with your questions.

Quote:
Did any of you chronograph before and after to see if there was a FPS difference in the loads and or with the CWS? GENE'O

I don't own a chronograph, so I have no actual figures on velocity differences.

However on page 30 of his printed catalogue he has a picture of two pieces of brass from a known over pressure load. The only difference between the two rounds is one was fired from an AR (Colt based service rifle) without CWS, then they installed the CWS and fired the other round.

The brass from the round that was fired without CWS looks like a "just missed disaster". Lots of residue on the case head, flattened primer, etc.

The brass from the round that was fired with CWS looks perfectly normal and clean.

So it would seem that one can run slightly hotter loads when using CWS, no?

The actual wording from his catalogue is: "Warning. This is a DANGEROUSLY over-pressure load. Not recommended".

Quote:
Give Hangtime the credit for finding this item.

I think you meant "give Hangtime the blame when you talk to your wives" didn't you?

Quote:
Quote:
Give Hangtime the credit for finding this item.

I think you meant "give Hangtime the blame when you talk to your wives" didn't you?

Better to ask for forgivness than permission. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What I want to know is: who's going to be the first to try the Geiselle that I keep pleading with you all to try? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I may have to give it a try with a future AR, but I'm really happy with Jewell. I'll accept that the Geiselle may be better, but by how much? I honestly don't see how there's too much room for improvement over a Jewell (for a bunch more bucks).

Quote:
I may have to give it a try with a future AR, but I'm really happy with Jewell. I'll accept that the Geiselle may be better, but by how much? I honestly don't see how there's too much room for improvement over a Jewell (for a bunch more bucks).

Leon,

I've never owned a Jewell, so I can't speak personally about the differences. I have talked to several people who either own, or have owned a Jewell, and switched to the Geiselle. Their consensus was the Geiselle was the hands down winner, and none have returned to the Jewell at least that I'm aware of.

If you're happy with what you have, I'm certainly happy for you. For those that are contemplating their first
aftermarket trigger, you owe it to yourself to try one. As I stated in another thread, just the machine work on this trigger is a thing of beauty, so precise, etc. Kind of like looking inside a fine hand wound Swiss watch. Like I said about the Tubbs products, this trigger is worth every penney, and I know they're not inexpensive. I may be the poorest person financially on this board (no kidding), so it was painful at the time to turn loose of the cash for the Geiselle. Saying that, I have absolutely no regrets.

I do own a RRA NM 2 stage, so I can speak directly about the differences there. Absolutely NO COMPARISON! Matter of fact, I wish I had my $100.00 back that I spent on the RRA, which I would add $$ to, and get another Geiselle for that AR.

Back OT, those that are purchasing either the Tubbs FW spring, the CWS, or better yet both, please post your opinion once you get some range time with them. Always interested in others opinions, positive, OR negative.

We're getting ready to get hammered by severe storms, so I have to sign off for awhile. Everyone enjoy your evening.

I ordered this package but haven't received it yet

AR15 Performance Package

The combination of CWS and our CS Buffer Spring represents the ultimate enhancement in rifle function and operating system, and the CS Trigger Return and Hammer Spring Set completes the package. Buy all parts packaged together and save over the cost of these items separately.

ORDER
CWS
CS Buffer Spring
CS Trigger Return Spring
CS Hammer Spring

Valuexxxxxxxxxxcxxxxx$94.85
PACKAGE PRICE xxxxxxx$69.95 (add $5.00 for NM)
YOU SAVE xxxxxxxxxxxx$24.90

Phone 806-323-9488, FAX 806-323-9483, or order ON LINE

xx

Love those Springs! Never thought to mention them on here as I figured $25 buck for a spring to replace the one everybody already had no one would be interested. My bad!!! David has good products and is a nice guy. Good luck trying to find him at home. He is very busy.

Ok, Hidalgo, you did it, I just ordered the CWS and CS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif It was actually good timing, I'm building a lower and was going to order a buffer spring tonight anyway. I just ordered this one instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I'm sure I'll like it and have to order another set for my other lower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I'll give the wife your name and number! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

T94

Ok FINE.......are you happy now????? Just shot off an order for the spring and cws... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif..I have a good hydralic buffer and like it but still get the "dirty" brass and have enough curiosity and 85 bucks to cover this experience . If nothing else , my son can use the hydralic in his gun or I can keep it if I am not impressed ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif....at any rate...I will give my unbiased test results when it comes. I don't have a new gun to wait for so this give some interest to the future of seeing BIG BROWN show up in the drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif BUT....THIS IS IT.....NO MORE SPECIALTY PARTS FOR MY RIFLE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif SM

Quote:
ORDER
CWS
CS Buffer Spring
CS Trigger Return Spring
CS Hammer Spring

Valuexxxxxxxxxxcxxxxx$94.85
PACKAGE PRICE xxxxxxx$69.95 (add $5.00 for NM)
YOU SAVE xxxxxxxxxxxx$24.90

All you guys pay attention there. No sense making David forward the money to me, as SteveM said he's a busy man. Each of you just send me the money direct.

Thank You, NMLeon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well, I did it and I'm reporting back! I installed the Buffer spring and CWS and just shot it this morninng for the first time. I have to say that while I was a skeptical, I am now most impressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif The bolt closes with more "authority", brass comes out cleaner and I don't really know how to explain it but the rifle just feels better when shooting it. It seems as if some of the rattle and "sproong" is gone out of it. I was currious if I could use the heavy weight that comes with the CWS, but it worked fine, even cycled when I put on my .17 Remington upper. (The CWS comes with a collared tube and two weights that fit into the rear of the Bolt Carrier. It can be used with just the colllared tube or you can add either one of the weights)

I have to say that the brass coming out cleaner is a clear sign that the bolt is locking up a little longer and gas is not escaping around the spent brass.

All in all, I say this is a go! Go spend your hard earned dollars boys, you'll like it too. I have a second lower that will probably be getting one of these./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Reporting from Mississippi

Totch94

Back