Superior Shooting Systems Buffer Spring Review

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I found it yesterday while researching buffer springs. The Tubb buffer spring sounds interesting.
I just installed a full size ACE skeleton stock on my AR and had to replace the CAR buffer assembly with all new parts, buffer tube, spring and buffer. After reading the entire thread it sounds like I will have to order the new Tubb flat wire spring.
Does everyone who has the spring still like it?

All very positive experiences here with both the spring and the CWS, and I've got quite a few rounds on them now!!

Hangtime.

Quote:
Mine is still doing it's job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

In the reviews I like the part where the recoil is more like a bolt action and the cases are not as dirty.

Did you ever see if the spring effected the velocity any?

I have the spring and weight system as well as a hydralic buffer. The new spring compresses the buffer to not quite half of its travel. It still functions perfect and I have not settled on my favorite set up yet......the spring with the weight carrier , spring with one of the two weights added to its carrier , or just the spring with the hydralic buffer. I have the buffer in with all of the different configurations. There is a slightly different "feel" to each set up but with weight system installed , you can't break the gun down without pulling both pins that mate lower and upper. I don't like this so am using it spring /buffer now and no sproing and 100% function.. SM

I was going to use just the new spring with the original buffer for now. That may work so well I may not need the weight system.

Have you had any ejection/ chambering problems when a shot is "limp wristed" ? (The stock not held tight against the shoulder when fired?)

I found the answer to my previous question when placing my order.
When using just the spring and not the weight system there may or may not be short cycling whenever using lighter weight bullets. I was told that if it does short cycle a coil or two can be snipped off to make it function correctly.

Quote:
When using just the spring and not the weight system there may or may not be short cycling whenever using lighter weight bullets.

I have fired (spring only configuration) everything from light-loaded 40s up thru heavily -charged 60s in mine. Runs like a swiss watch.....or like a DTech should. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
I was told that if it does short cycle a coil or two can be snipped off to make it function correctly.

But...wouldn't that kinda be defeating the purpose of having a stronger spring? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I was also wondering about snipping off coils. It would seem that taking off coils would defeat the purpose of having a heavier spring.

Since I only shoot 55gr or heavier bullets it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out along with my newly installed ACE skeleton stock.

I had a Tubb spring on back order from Midway. After finding everthing else was in stock I changed the order and got a Wolff action spring instead. Has anyone compared the performance of the Tubb FW spring and the Wolff extra power spring?

Quote:
I was also wondering about snipping off coils. It would seem that taking off coils would defeat the purpose of having a heavier spring.

Since I only shoot 55gr or heavier bullets it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out along with my newly installed ACE skeleton stock.

I THINK (cause I'm not an engineer, and have never stayed @ a Holiday Inn Express) that the reason one can get away with it is threefold.

1. It's a FLATWIRE CS spring, which is longer in length
than a conventional replacement round wire music spring.

2. Being flatwire, you can "pack" more spring in the
extension vs: the std. round wire music spring.

3. It's total compressed dimension is LESS that the total
compressed dimension of a round wire spring, and since
you have more compression with the Tubbs buffer spring,
it allows you to clip some off with no ill effects.

If anyone wants more info, or think what I've stated is incorrect, my suggestion is to call them directly. The 3-4 times I've called them, they've been extremely open to answering any questions I've had !!

I exclusively use the old 20 round AR mags with the alloy followers, and just yesterday recieved my first order of his CS replacement springs for those mags, so I'm anxious to get those installed, and field tested.

He also sells a "kit" which consists of one each CS extractor, and ejector spring. As I had no spare ejector spring in my spare parts bin, I went ahead and purchased this. What I find interesting is that his extractor spring doesn't use a rubber bumper insert. Matter of of fact, they say to use nothing else with their extractor spring (as in rubber bumper insert, "O" ring, or "D" ring} as they say it's not needed, and won't work properly with these add-ons installed.

I'll give a field report on the mag and extractor springs when I can catch a nice day, weather wise, for any that might be interested. I really like the thought of buying springs ONCE, and not have to be concerned with replacing them again !!

Hangtime.

I got one and the results were great. I was sighting in with the old one and when I was satisfed with the groups I put the new spring in. Man I couldn't believe the difference. I know it tightend the groups up and folow ups were alot better. Didn't think to look at brass, but I'll take it hunting this weekend and I will check them. It is worth the money.

I got one too, but haven't shot it on paper to tell if it made anything more accurate. I did notice that my brass was cleaner, which is why I got it.

I saw this thread when it went around last summer and ordered just the spring. I didn't make any accuracy comparisions before and after installing. I was mostly after getting rid of the sproing of the stock spring, and getting a longer lock up time of the bolt. I may go back and try doing some groups with the stock and CS springs to see if I can see a difference.

One thing I noticed, that nobody mentioned, was that my fired cases would easily re-chamber and eject without sticking. I also noted that the cases were cleaner on the case bodys, and chamber stayed cleaner longer.

These good results got me thinking about neck sizing for the AR-15. I got a Hornady Match Grade bushing type neck die with the shoulder bump feature to control the headspace clearance to .001 to .0015 . For the past 7 months I have not FL sized a single case for that AR. Some of my Win and LC cases have been reloaded 12 times with no feeding or extraction problems at all. It's a little more complicated than what I have stated here but it works for me.

Quote:

One thing I noticed, that nobody mentioned, was that my fired cases would easily re-chamber and eject without sticking. I also noted that the cases were cleaner on the case bodys, and chamber stayed cleaner longer.

I've tried 3-4 different times to re-chamber my fired cases, and have never been able to. Almost all have been shot out of a .223 Wylde chamber, maybe that's part of the difference, I don't know, but at any rate, I've had to FL resize each time.

I do use the Stoney Point H&S, and bump back .0015 - .002, and sometimes it's still a bit snug.

Good for you though, if you can basically just neck resize. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hangtime.

Well, what do you know? The mailwoman just left and she delivered my new spring. Hope to get home in time today to install it and shoot some.
I'll let ya know how it works out.

Back