Superior Shooting Systems Buffer Spring Review

I bought a Tubb spring last week. My AR will arive next week. I hope the spring will work with my ACE skeleton stock. Is it common to have to trim the coils to make it function?

Houser,
That stinks you couldn't get the spring to work for you. Maybe the addition the CWS to your bolt would have done the trick rather than progressively snipping coils.

According to the Tubb site, adding mass to the bolt carrier via the CWS is very important to keeping the action cycling reliably when using the flat wire spring. As I understand, the two systems are meant to compliment each other in that regard...

Quote:
I hope the spring will work with my ACE skeleton stock. Is it common to have to trim the coils to make it function?

I dropped one in my ACE skeleton and it runs perfectly. Very few people have had to modify the spring, from what I've read on several AR sites.

With the CWS do you put both of the weights in or is it just something that you have to play around with to see what works best for you? They will be going in a 243 WSSM that is cycling just a hair to fast and bulging out the cases. Also very, very dirty cases.

I considered trying the CWS but decided not to spend anymore $ with no guarantee that it would work any better.

I'm not bad mouthing the spring or CWS. It just wouldn't work in my gun. Wish it would have though.

I just installed the CWS in my AR it says in their instructions that for adequate overrun there should be approximately 1/16 of an inch when fully retracted between the bolt face and the bolt stop. If the gap is less the bolt may not have enough time to fully extend prior to the bolt contacting it on the forward return of the carrier. Well mine was less so I sanded it down and now it is alot more than a 1/16 of a inch. Do you guys think it will matter that it is more than the 1/16? Is it better to have more?

I haven't seen where anyone has mentioned POI changes before and after the spring swap. Any info? I'm getting ready to swap mine this weekend.

Quote:
POI changes before and after the spring swap.

None in my case, and I had a stock spring, Oly pneumatic buffer and Tubbs spring at one time or another. The UMC FMJ stayed at the same zero within a half inch with every spring/buffer combo I tried.

Well, I had a few minutes to try it out. I really couldn't tell much difference at the time. My before group was much tighter than the after, but I was racing the rain to get them in. I'll try another "after" group when I have more time. My brass all looked the same and I couldn't feel the recoil difference, but I haven't noticed the recoil and sproing since I went to an Ace stock anyway.

I got one and it works for me. I shoot a .204 so the I couldn't tell if the recoil was less or more. My brass has been much much cleaner, but if I let my bolt and stuff get dirty my brass starts to get dirty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I couldn't tell much accuracy difference though, good or bad.

Quote:
Well, I had a few minutes to try it out. I really couldn't tell much difference at the time. My before group was much tighter than the after, but I was racing the rain to get them in. I'll try another "after" group when I have more time. My brass all looked the same and I couldn't feel the recoil difference, but I haven't noticed the recoil and sproing since I went to an Ace stock anyway.

Corey, I doubt that you can tell any difference at all in the AMOUNT of recoil, but rather the difference in recoil "duration". Mine now has more of a bolt gun type recoil.....if that makes sense?

I also noticed that the brass I am now shooting seems to require less resizing than before. Coincidence maybe, but that seems to be the case.

VENISONEATR, the website said the same thing when we ordered. The nice lady there said they had some and sent two out for me and Chris1017. Got them in about 3 days. Give them a call. Hidalgo, I'll have to take more time and see if the group spread was me or the spring and watch the brass again. Like Verminator2 said my chamber may be dirty and oily from the old spring and rubbing off on the cases. It's hard to sit down and do serious shooting this time of year with the groundhogs so willing to become another statistic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

I have been reading this post and looked up the CWS on Tubbs site, only to find no info on it.
Does any one know when they stopped selling them or why?

Thank you for putting up with me, restarting an old post string.

Cant answer directly, but beings that it's a 9 YO post, I'd say Mr. Tubb prob moved on to a newer/better set-up for sale now?

Thank you Mike B for responding. I am interested in the reason that Tubb discontinued the CWS. May be there was a bad side effect. I do not see any product on the web site that would serve the same purpose.

Back