Nevada Coyote Contests - Bill Carries Penalties Equal To Manslaughter

Originally Posted By: littledawg

Your right Crap, Nevada isn't New York, more like California every day.

I'll give you that!

I agree with quite a bit of what you say. But a lot of that agreement comes with maturity. When I was younger, I didn't give a flip what most people thought, loved gore pics and was all about being in your face.
I'm still all about being in your face about some things. But anymore, pics are reserved mostly for myself.
I'll flip a coyote over to hide a hole but wont go to the hassle of washing and fluffing a Cape or stuffing a tongue back in their mouth.
Death is a part of hunting and a part of life.
I agree that we as sportsman need to do our part and watch what we post. Didn't always feel that way either. But it only goes so far trying to appease the opposition and sometimes you have to stand up and fight.

And no, you dont always have to have Warren Buffett money to get legislation past. But you do have to get off your back side and fight for those things you believe in. Part of that fight is calling and writing legislators. Dont only write when in opposition but write and call when they do something good that you agree with. Let them know you are grateful that they listened and did what was right.
The other part of the equation is VOTING. If they don't listen and do what's right, VOTE THEM OUT! Not always an easy task and again, may require people getting off their duff and volunteering to help those campaigning that more suit your beliefs.

I'm rambling. Just got done trimming a 20 ft palm and cleaning up the mess.

Originally Posted By: Fur TakerOriginally Posted By: azpredatorhunterI'll save you some time... my first coyote taken with a flip phone, and posted on predatortalk 2012. It's not the best picture but not the worst.

Nice coyote Thanx Fur Taker... I called him in with an old Burnham brothers fox call.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: littledawg

Your right Crap, Nevada isn't New York, more like California every day.

I'll give you that!

I agree with quite a bit of what you say. But a lot of that agreement comes with maturity. When I was younger, I didn't give a flip what most people thought, loved gore pics and was all about being in your face.
I'm still all about being in your face about some things. But anymore, pics are reserved mostly for myself.
I'll flip a coyote over to hide a hole but wont go to the hassle of washing and fluffing a Cape or stuffing a tongue back in their mouth.
Death is a part of hunting and a part of life.
I agree that we as sportsman need to do our part and watch what we post. Didn't always feel that way either. But it only goes so far trying to appease the opposition and sometimes you have to stand up and fight.

And no, you dont always have to have Warren Buffett money to get legislation past. But you do have to get off your back side and fight for those things you believe in. Part of that fight is calling and writing legislators. Dont only write when in opposition but write and call when they do something good that you agree with. Let them know you are grateful that they listened and did what was right.
The other part of the equation is VOTING. If they don't listen and do what's right, VOTE THEM OUT! Not always an easy task and again, may require people getting off their duff and volunteering to help those campaigning that more suit your beliefs.

I'm rambling. Just got done trimming a 20 ft palm and cleaning up the mess.

I agree... However, writing and voting only go so far. Hunting is a dying family tradition or lifestyle. The hunter(s) still have some pull (writing/voting) in the rural areas of the western states where those legislators come from a typical ranching family. But those type of politically connected families are slowly fading away. Those offices or rural legislative positions are being taken over by the move-ins who are more focused on how they can develop tourism that doesn't include hunting. Their individual interest is in exploiting natural resources for their own personal or political gain. They give no thought to the sportsman's dollars that actually support the natural balance or the resources they wish to exploit.

How often does a well-financed individual or company come into a rural area and purchase a large tract of property or a ranch and immediately close it to hunting? And often times this individual later becomes the mayor, county commissioner, or a state legislator.

Now this person likes the position and wishes get re-elected. His/her constituents now own the local bike shop, yuppie bar, hotel, tourist trap, Starbucks, or perhaps the largest free-range cattle ranch in the county. Perhaps they all are active members of the chamber of commerce or some other club. And maybe their support comes with a big fat contribution and public support. As a private resident, how much does your individual vote or email mean to this legislator or commissioner??

Perhaps the biggest free-range cattle ranch has a run-in with some hunters who are hunting a contest and legally shoot a coyote nicknamed two-socks the unofficial ranch mascot. The incident occurred on ranch property but the owner didn't have it properly posted. So he calls his legislative friend and lobbies his assistance into getting the trespass law changed to where private landowners are no longer required to post private property or perhaps only post it at gates and stream crossings. In exchange this ranch/business owners provides a financial contribution and public re-election support.

This is how laws get changed. If the perceived victim has the money; i.e political network, a single incident can have a very large ripple effect. It isn't about right/wrong or wildlife science; getting re-elected is the game. Ya can't get in the game if you don't have enough cash for the entry fee.

Point is: Don't make coyote contests a political game that cannot and will not be won.

So your suggestion is bury your head or turn a blind eye and hope they dont come after something you are really passionate about? If they do, what then? Bend over, grab your ankles and and say yes please with a smile?

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76 ..... Why do people nowadays feel the need to regulate everyone's activities even though it really doesn't affect them?

You want to sit in a bar all day and drink, I don't care, but as soon as you get behind the steering wheel of a car, then it affects me. You want to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day your whole life, I don't care, but when my insurance rates skyrocket to pay for your "iron lung" , then it affects me. When I knock on doors and ask to coyote hunt, and landowners begin spewing how disgusted they are with "coyote hunters" because of all the local contest crap they've endured, witnessed and heard about, then it affects me. Having to separate myself from the stigma of a "contest hunter" is usually the most important part of asking permission lately.

Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterOriginally Posted By: Fur TakerOriginally Posted By: azpredatorhunterI'll save you some time... my first coyote taken with a flip phone, and posted on predatortalk 2012. It's not the best picture but not the worst.

Nice coyote Thanx Fur Taker... I called him in with an old Burnham brothers fox call.

Really, That's freaking awesome. I just started using more hand calls with the e caller. I have noticed I have more responders to.

Originally Posted By: BradsbirdsOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76 ..... Why do people nowadays feel the need to regulate everyone's activities even though it really doesn't affect them?

You want to sit in a bar all day and drink, I don't care, but as soon as you get behind the steering wheel of a car, then it affects me. You want to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day your whole life, I don't care, but when my insurance rates skyrocket to pay for your "iron lung" , then it affects me. When I knock on doors and ask to coyote hunt, and landowners begin spewing how disgusted they are with "coyote hunters" because of all the local contest crap they've endured, witnessed and heard about, then it affects me. Having to separate myself from the stigma of a "contest hunter" is usually the most important part of asking permission lately.

Well I guess we should ban bars because some people can't drink responsibly or get a ride home. You're right on cigarettes, but why stop there. Ban or tax the crap out of potato chips, large sodas, and deep fried tenderloins (man I love me a real deep fried tenderloin ) because some people can't do these in moderation.
Keep it up until freedom has a new meaning. You do live in a good state for this mentality though.

It's like you think the guys hunting the contests will stop hunting after the contests are gone. Bad hunters will be bad.
But don't you worry. Ban everything you don't like and I am sure no one will ever ban anything you like. Limit everyone's freedom to be an idiot. Sounds like a great society...

No need to ban bars, just the irresponsible activity of drunk driving. Being a defender of any irresponsible activity is nearly as bad as participating in it. Good grief......I guess the answer to organized dog fighting is to ban all dog ownership.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: BradsbirdsOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76 ..... Why do people nowadays feel the need to regulate everyone's activities even though it really doesn't affect them?

Well I guess we should ban bars because some people can't drink responsibly or get a ride home. You're right on cigarettes, but why stop there. Ban or tax the crap out of potato chips, large sodas, and deep fried tenderloins (man I love me a real deep fried tenderloin ) because some people can't do these in moderation.
Keep it up until freedom has a new meaning. You do live in a good state for this mentality though.

It's like you think the guys hunting the contests will stop hunting after the contests are gone. Bad hunters will be bad.
But don't you worry. Ban everything you don't like and I am sure no one will ever ban anything you like. Limit everyone's freedom to be an idiot. Sounds like a great society...

So true. Well stated. The comparison of something that is legal, contest hunting, versus something that is dangerous and ILLEGAL is fallacious. You don't "ban" something because someone does something irresponsible with it. You go after that INDIVIDUAL.

Punishing SOME hunters because a guy posts a distasteful pic is retarded. Supporting that ban because someone posted a distasteful pic is just as retarded. You gonna support a ban on predator hunting because someone posts an "offensive" pic? Maybe you didn't but if "someone" finds a pic "offensive" does that make banning the sport acceptable?

Anti hunters find our WHOLE sport "offensive" and that is a fact. You going to let them ban our sport because they find it offensive or are you going to fight for it?

Originally Posted By: BradsbirdsNo need to ban bars, just the irresponsible activity of drunk driving. Being a defender of any irresponsible activity is nearly as bad as participating in it. Good grief......I guess the answer to organized dog fighting is to ban all dog ownership.

Well I guess we agree. Give tickets or report the irresponsible hunters whether they happen to be hunting in a contest or not. Don't ban the contest. Good grief why didn't you just say you support the contests just not some of the idiots that hunt them.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo

Anti hunters find our WHOLE sport "offensive" and that is a fact. You going to let them ban our sport because they find it offensive or are you going to fight for it?

You are right, anti-hunters do think all hunting is "offensive". They want to ban it but fortunately can't do it alone. They need help. Their help will come from "non-hunters" who currently approve of, or at least put up with hunting by others (family, friends, neighbors, etc....) but these non-hunters are being negatively influenced by the carnage they see online and witness happening as the result of contests on their, and their neighbor's, farms/ranches, etc.... Anti hunters + non-hunters = more people than hunters. Nearly all the properties I have access to hunt are owned by non-hunters from 600 acre farms to 80 acre "horse people" to 40 acre "residents" with chickens and goats. All have mentioned their dis-approval of the contests, or "round-ups" as they are called locally and make sure I'm not "one of those people". Maybe someday you'll find yourself having to distance yourself from "one of those people". So, yeah I'm fighting it by by being considerate, appreciative, and as helpful as I can and not supportive of the things that offend the same people that allow me to hunt.

Most of Nevada is BLM land and we dont have yuppy liberal ranchers here either.
But the big cities have more than enough of them to go around.

Quote:But the big cities have more than enough of them to go around.

Yup, the all hat, no cows types do tend to migrate to the big cities everywhere.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: BradsbirdsOriginally Posted By: crapshootMost of Nevada is BLM land...

ie, Public land, which will most likely be the first to be affected

What I was getting at is we don't have ranchers shutting down land due to slob contest hunters.

They hate us- end of story.
If they divide us they WIN.

Maybe we can influence non-hunters or non-shooters on an individual basis
We can all VOTE or contact our polititions.
Just remember if YOU are not part of the solution YOU are part of the problem!!

Back