Nevada Coyote Contests - Bill Carries Penalties Equal To Manslaughter

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76I can't believe the crap in this thread:
"I don't like contests, ban them"
"Contests hunters are a bunch of cheaters so ban the contests"
"The reason coyote hunting gets so much attention from the anti's is they post pictures of their kills on social media, so contests have got to go"
I don't believe anyone said all contest Hunters are cheaters after all I hunted a contest and didn't cheat. However I did hear from a pretty good source that two of the teams that placed did. I heard one team shot all their Ccoyotes out the truck window and another team had other people out locating for them and who knows if they were shooting for them. I'm also certain that later in the evening people tend to shall we say push the envelope on property lines.
I don't believe the contest should be banned they're just not for me.
Coyote killing is all about having access to land and better yet land with coyotes. Out west there is a lot of public land. Around here everything is private and as a land owner I personally don't like bugging too many people to hunt their ground. Some people will say anything or ask anything no matter how ruthless it is. People around here get enough of guys driving around and shooting them out of Windows and people circling sections with dogs and walking them out etc. all the while they are trespassing. I think contests out West are probably more feasible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76I can't believe the crap in this thread:
"I don't like contests, ban them"
"Contests hunters are a bunch of cheaters so ban the contests"
"The reason coyote hunting gets so much attention from the anti's is they post pictures of their kills on social media, so contests have got to go"
I don't believe anyone said all contest Hunters are cheaters after all I hunted a contest and didn't cheat. However I did hear from a pretty good source that two of the teams that placed did. I heard one team shot all their Ccoyotes out the truck window and another team had other people out locating for them and who knows if they were shooting for them. I'm also certain that later in the evening people tend to shall we say push the envelope on property lines.
I don't believe the contest should be banned they're just not for me.
Coyote killing is all about having access to land and better yet land with coyotes. Out west there is a lot of public land. Around here everything is private and as a land owner I personally don't like bugging too many people to hunt their ground. Some people will say anything or ask anything no matter how ruthless it is. People around here get enough of guys driving around and shooting them out of Windows and people circling sections with dogs and walking them out etc. all the while they are trespassing. I think contests out West are probably more feasible.

You are right maybe no one said ALL contest hunters are cheaters, but it sure was mentioned alot. Even you mentioned it in all of your posts. I mean come on, everything has its bad eggs. I guess I am a little shocked at the comments on a predator hunting forum with the title:
Nevada Coyote Contests - Bill Carries Penalties Equal To Manslaughter. Whether you like contests or not, this is just retarded.
I guess in a free country I believe people are free to do some things that I may or may not agree with as long as it's legal and not harmful to anyone.

Bottom line consistently killing called in coyotes takes dedication and effort. Most guys will never put in that kind of dedication or effort. Hence you will have two kinds of teams that place well, the dedicated and the cheaters. Givin the forum we are on many here will put in the effort but the average Joe coyote hunter will take one anyway he can and never think twice.
As far as the title of the thread, I think anyone who thinks that way is obviously a liberal nut job who needs to mind more their own business and less of other peoples. The only downside with a dead coyote or pile of dead coyotes for that matter is that it less that I get an opportunity to shoot. I don't imagine the Jane Fonda Types on the internet are going to be real impressed though and I'm not impressed with them so no worries with me there. The feeling is mutual I'd say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootSo here's a question.
Since PredatorMasters is supposedly (or would like to be) the "D.U." of the predator world, what are they contributing to the fight against legislation like this?

66zno4.jpg

Guess that answers my question.

Originally Posted By: songdogThe anti-gun groups target the small group of people that own Ar-15's, knowing that if they targeted handgun owners, they'd run into a heap of resistance. They want to end gun ownership, but they know they have to do it in baby steps.
The anti-hunting groups target the small group of people that hunt predators, knowing that if they targeted big game hunters, they'd run into a heap of resistance. They want to end all hunting but they know they have to do it in baby steps.

Both groups are trying to divide and conquer, and sadly, both groups are having success, just read back through this thread and you will see their results happening in real life.

Well stated sir.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: crapshootSo here's a question.
Since PredatorMasters is supposedly (or would like to be) the "D.U." of the predator world, what are they contributing to the fight against legislation like this?

66zno4.jpg

I hardly ever get involved in stuff like this. I have hunted and put on contests. There are some bad apples in everything that people do for a hobby. Unfortunately when money is involved it brings out some bad things in folks. With that being said it shouldn’t matter if you like it or don’t. People can’t seem to just pass by without making it known they have their opinion. Nothing wrong with that as long as you can accept someone else’s also without being buthurt because it didn’t match yours.

Crapshoot I’m guessing organizations like du charge for memberships. If PM started charging for memberships I would bet they would be at the front of the line protecting our rights also.

Originally Posted By: lancebOriginally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: crapshootSo here's a question.

66zno4.jpg

Crapshoot I’m guessing organizations like du charge for memberships. If PM started charging for memberships I would bet they would be at the front of the line protecting our rights also.

If you look under my name it says Retired Staff (or use to at least).
There is a little insider info in what I wrote, hence why I wrote it.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: lancebOriginally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: crapshootSo here's a question.

66zno4.jpg

If you look under my name it says Retired Staff (or use to at least).
There is a little insider info in what I wrote, hence why I wrote it.

While I cannot speak about the past, since I was not a part of the Board Of Directors back then, I can speak about PM now. As a Director, I am committed to doing what I can to protect our sport and our forum. While I alone cannot speak for the Board or for PM, I can say that if members see something that they feel the Board should address, we can certainly bring it up to the Board, and vote, and then move forward.

No matter what the Board decides, some will always be unhappy with the decisions while others will applaud them.

I can only say that I will do what I can to continue to further our sport and our forum.

So I will ask again.
Is PredatorMasters doing anything to try and prevent such legislation?

At one point in time, "someone" had stated the desire for PM to be the DU of the predator hunting industry.
With PM being a nonprofit org. who's sole purpose is not only hunting coyotes but also conservation, are they as an org. doing any lobbying against Bill's of this nature?
Just currious.

Originally Posted By: BJJ223I think the contests are disgusting. I think they are the opposite of what hunting is supposed to be. We live in a reality show sick society that has to make contest of everything. Coyote contests are for insecure idiots that need to pound on their chest to prove how bitchen they are.

I am no liberal either. I believe we have the right

To carry without permits.
To own machine guns without tax stamps
To buy a gun without a background check. If you are not in jail, you are free.
To hunt coyotes without a license. DFG does not create coyotes.
To hunt at night
To own silencers
To hunt with lead ammo (CA)
Global warming is a lie
Hillary Clinton is Satan
... and many, many more things.

Our sick society makes a contest of everything. It has infected hunting too.

pretty much my feelings, I also agree about the look at me insecure thing. ALSO look at who wins these deals, its always someone who had some special hookup. normally a secret piece of private land. So really what is the point? the winners cheat, hunt at night where its illegal to do so. bring out friends to help, Take illegal drugs to stay up multiple days at a time, have some special hook up with private land that no one else has access to, and might even have others out hunting for them.

my question to all of you guys, is if that is indeed who the winners end up being, WHY aren't you calling a spade a spade and saying YEAH thats not good. Why can't you guys also see that who ever ends up winning isn't the best predator caller to compete in the competition? but rather used other means to do so. last question, are you guys really ok with that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootSo I will ask again.

At one point in time, "someone" had stated the desire for PM to be the DU of the predator hunting industry.
With PM being a nonprofit org. who's sole purpose is not only hunting coyotes but also conservation, are they as an org. doing any lobbying against Bill's of this nature?
Just currious.

just from the lack of response i would guess that would be no.

Posting on Facebook is many a coyote hunters crack! I guess deer hunting has become the same way. I remember when nobody said they were a hunter to be cool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootSo I will ask again.

Just currious.

Originally Posted By: Will Craig" The dream of Predator Masters is bigger than just a message board, the board is just the tip of the iceberg. We would like Predator Masters to become the Ducks Unlimited of predator calling.

Predator calling is the fastest growing hunting sport in North America. If we don’t get organized to protect and promote the sport we love so much, we might not have it one these days. We need to organize and stand together to fight the anti-hunting movement at a State by State level.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718959#Post718959

The times have changed since that was written... all the new platforms of social media have both united and divided... I don't know of anything is being done...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: crapshootSo I will ask again.

Just currious.

Originally Posted By: Will Craig" The dream of Predator Masters is bigger than just a message board, the board is just the tip of the iceberg. We would like Predator Masters to become the Ducks Unlimited of predator calling.

Predator calling is the fastest growing hunting sport in North America. If we don’t get organized to protect and promote the sport we love so much, we might not have it one these days. We need to organize and stand together to fight the anti-hunting movement at a State by State level.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718959#Post718959

The times have changed since that was written... all the new platforms of social media have both united and divided... I don't know of anything is being done...

Dang!
Are y’all forgetting about the PM scholarship program??
I went back and read up on it....

Uhhhhhh......
Seems like the last time it was mentioned was back in ‘13 or ‘14 maybe??
blushing.gif

Originally Posted By: crapshootGuess the dream is dead but the site still has a pulse.

I think you’re being overly optimistic.
Remember the posts about new sponsors, and the new members added, and the most members online?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: BJJ223I think the contests are disgusting. I think they are the opposite of what hunting is supposed to be. We live in a reality show sick society that has to make contest of everything. Coyote contests are for insecure idiots that need to pound on their chest to prove how bitchen they are.

I am no liberal either. I believe we have the right

To carry without permits.
To own machine guns without tax stamps
To buy a gun without a background check. If you are not in jail, you are free.
To hunt coyotes without a license. DFG does not create coyotes.
To hunt at night
To own silencers
To hunt with lead ammo (CA)
Global warming is a lie
Hillary Clinton is Satan
... and many, many more things.

Our sick society makes a contest of everything. It has infected hunting too.

pretty much my feelings, I also agree about the look at me insecure thing. ALSO look at who wins these deals, its always someone who had some special hookup. normally a secret piece of private land. So really what is the point? the winners cheat, hunt at night where its illegal to do so. bring out friends to help, Take illegal drugs to stay up multiple days at a time, have some special hook up with private land that no one else has access to, and might even have others out hunting for them.

my question to all of you guys, is if that is indeed who the winners end up being, WHY aren't you calling a spade a spade and saying YEAH thats not good. Why can't you guys also see that who ever ends up winning isn't the best predator caller to compete in the competition? but rather used other means to do so. last question, are you guys really ok with that?

I have competed in contests where winners were not the best hunters but did in fact have an advantage that others did not. Some of our local contests allow guys to hunt on private lands or on lands that only they have access to and that does give a distinct advantage.

I participated in a contest for several years that allowed that. The number of teams competing started to drop since the same guys repeatedly won. So the organizer changed the rules to where you could only hunt public land. It was interesting to see those very same top teams, not put down one coyote when the playing field was leveled.

People cheat at things EVERYDAY. Does that mean that you stop doing what you do? People take illegal drugs, EVERYDAY. Do you stop participating in the world? There are poachers who cheat the system. Do you stop hunting because there are unethical poachers out there? I bet ALL of us have special "secret honey holes" that we hunt and keep to ourselves. Does that make ALL of us unethical? Does that make us cheaters?

No. You don't. You go about your business in the ways that you see fit. In the end, you have to face yourself and your choices.

Unethical contests and organizers suffer the consequences. People stop competing in rigged contests.

Hunting is a contest, no if and's or buts about it. You are competing against nature and against the animal. It doesn't matter if you do it solo or in an organized event. I enjoy the PM Convention, coming together at the end of each day and being able to share our stories. In many contests, during check in or at the dinners later that night, the same thing happens. I don't get butt hurt that someone got more coyotes than I did, I am happy for those guys. If you don't like those events, then don't participate. But you don't side with the opposition.

But again, if you think even for one minute that predator hunting will be left alone because you allow the anti's to ban contests, YOU are in for a rude awakening.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: crapshootSo here's a question.

66zno4.jpg

I think you raise a fair question.

First off, D.U. is a 501C3 like PM. As a 501C3, organizations are limited by the IRS in their political activity.

This statement is from the IRS:

In general, no organization may qualify for section 501(c)(3) status if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying). A 501(c)(3) organization may engage in some lobbying, but too much lobbying activity risks loss of tax-exempt status.

Legislation includes action by Congress, any state legislature, any local council, or similar governing body, with respect to acts, bills, resolutions, or similar items (such as legislative confirmation of appointive office), or by the public in referendum, ballot initiative, constitutional amendment, or similar procedure. It does not include actions by executive, judicial, or administrative bodies.

An organization will be regarded as attempting to influence legislation if it contacts, or urges the public to contact, members or employees of a legislative body for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or if the organization advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation.

Organizations may, however, involve themselves in issues of public policy without the activity being considered as lobbying. For example, organizations may conduct educational meetings, prepare and distribute educational materials, or otherwise consider public policy issues in an educational manner without jeopardizing their tax-exempt status.

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

DU's stated mission is Habitat Conservation. They partner with political action committees to help that goal. They also encourage their membership to contact their legislators on issues. They do not lobby on those issues themselves.

If the membership of PM wants the Board of Directors to take PM in a different direction, then that needs to be stated and addressed. I am not advocating for or against that.

Jeremy reposted what Redfrog stated back in 2007 about the goals of PM. Based off of that I think that the different boards have done a good job accomplishing what was set out. If members feel that there is something else that PM could/should be doing, let's address that.

I’ve already stated my thoughts about contests. Got no use for them.

But I can mind my own business and to each his own.

Don’t waste your breath asking me to actually support them though. Let alone do anything to actually defend them. I can’t with honesty and clear conscience make any effort or speak any words to defend them. Seen too much with my own eyes.

If that makes me an anti hunter then oh well, But if you want to paint me that way you’re painting yourself into a pretty small corner, in my opinion.

- DAA

Ok gentleman here's my two cents worth... I grew up in northern Illinois the son of a mink trapper, and a trapper myself. I started predator hunting in 2012 after I injured my back. I had a hard time grasping the thought of shooting a coyote when the fur wasn't prime. After realizing that if I was to only hunt coyote when they were prime, I wouldn't be hunting much here in Arizona so I got over it. So to the point... my daughter who has a trapping license and went hunting with me has decided that she's not interested in hunting or trapping anymore. So what went wrong? The Internet, and social media has brainwashed her. You guys have to understand that the kids today are fragile. She doesn't mind if I shoot a few coyote or trap a few bobcats but she just doesn't like the idea of hunters shooting them for competition. Some people cannot handle the sight of a dead animal, blood or guts and then you throw in a picture of a pile of coyote's... it just enrages them even more. They look at it as a contest to kill as many animals as possible ( all animals in their mind). So who do we point the finger at? Johnny Stewart, Burnham bros? Probably not. I do blame ourselves, the internet, television and people like KC Coyote killer for making a mockery of predator hunting by posting graphic bloody photo's, calling coyote dogs, using inappropriate language ie: kill, kill, kill and not being an ethical hunter by not giving your prey respect... As far as tv goes...I am sorry but I also blame Big Al and the rest of you tv personalities for your exploitation of predator hunting for profit. Where's Big Al now? What has Big Al and FoxPro done to help? Nothing! Fist bump. Maybe FoxPro could show some support by organizing predator hunters at these game and fish meetings by giving a couple of e-callers away! No skin off their asses.

Back