Sow Nailed in Backyard

Two of us were setup in my UTV in my backyard watching the thermal screen from my remote FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt over an area I had baited with corn pipes where some large hogs were showing up. Both of us had suppressed SIG 716 .308s with FLIR thermals and 150 grain SPs.

Large Loner Boar Hog shows up out of dense woods into the open 75 yards in front of us, target with thermals and countdown 1,2,3....

I shoot and boar is knocked over with a loud WHACK when .308 pill hits him, however he gets back up and and is limping into a nearby dense jungle brush.

No shot from my buddy, his rifle missfired with a dud reloaded shell.

Get out and both of us search with helmet mounted FLIR M-24 thermals and FLIR XR hand scanners for an hour with no thermal signatures sighted.

Get back home at 4:30AM and crash.

After sunup, headed back out to canvass area to try to discover where the wounded boar bedded down for the night, figuring he would be dead.

Had my KAC-15 with Truijicon ACOG, BE Meyers MAWL dual beam laser on Green Vis, two magazines of 556 77gr SMKs, and my SIG P-226.

Hiked out into the dense brush and began transecting the area back and forth using the FLIR InstaAlert checking for heat signatures.

About to give it up after an hour of hiking back and forth in and out, when I stepped out of a thick bristle brush right on top of the hog bedded down 20 feet in front of me.

He got up and ran into even deeper thicker woods thicket with me getting off five quick shots at point blank range into his side and [beeep] as he disappeared again.

Circled the thick brush trying to see him with no joy for thirty minutes.

The sun was occluded and I was on the verge of getting lost in the dense woods but kept slowing walking around a dense thicket.

Suddenly he came charging out at me from 40 feet, with Green Laser on his head I shot him 10 times and he went down 25 feet from me.

Shot another five rounds into his neck to sever his spine and I finally had him dead at my feet.

Now I was a quarter mile or more deep in the woods pretty much almost lost as the morning sun was obliterated with dense clouds.

Tried to walk straight back out to forest grade to the ATV but that was impossible.

Somehow made it back out to the grade and hiked down to ATV and returned to my marked spot where I had come out.

Driving the ATV in there to get the hog was a nightmare and extremely difficult getting hung up everywhere and getting lost again.

Had to come back out to forest grade twice and reenter to try to find the dead hog where I had left him.

On the third try I finally saw him, roped him on the hitch and put in in 4WD to drag him out.

After overheating the ATV, finally made it out to the grade and headed a half mile back home in 1st gear 4WD.

Thank God for diesel engine power and tractor hydraulics as I finally got him winched up in the barn about noontime and he weighed 410 pounds on the scale, hams are 40 pounds each.

Went to brewery and got 300 pounds of ice and a case of freshly brewed suds and went to work on the beast......

This is my SIG 716 .308 I shot him with Elcan 1-6X, FLIR T-70:

SIG%20716.jpg

This is the area we were staked out in the mobile UTV hunting blind:

UTV%20IR.jpg

This is the same shot with the FLIR M-324 remote Pan/Tilt, he came out of the woods to the left:

FLIR.jpg

This is the bed he bedded down for the night in where I first jumped him and shot him again, you can see the blood in the dirt:

Hog%20Bed.jpg

Blood%20Trail.jpg

This is him where I finally put him down with the KAC-15 and MAWL Green Vis Laser:

Hog%20KAC15.jpg

Here is the ATV finally making it out to the forest grade road to head home:

ATV%20Hog.jpg

Here is the diesel powered hydraulics and mobile UTV hunting blind back at the house:

Hondini%20Tractor%20Hog.jpg

Here is the size of this dude's hoof:

Hoof%20Hand.jpg

Here is the beer factory where I picked up the 300 pounds of ice and cold brew for the butchering job:

Beer%20Factory.jpg

They do not mess around here, best [beeep] beer around:

Beer.jpg

Here is the scale once I got him strung up in the barn:

410%20Scale.jpg

Most amazing day I have had in a long long time......

SP,

That's a pretty amazing story. I doubt I'd have had the sticktoitiveness to collect him after all the trouble he caused you.

Also to have 410 pounds of wounded pi$$ed off boar charging me might have convinced me to find another hobby... LOL

Who says that hunting in Florida is for sissies? That's an adventure to equal almost any that Africa or Alaska can offer and it's right on your doorstep eh?

Good on yah and thanks for the inspiring story but I'm still not too keen on following up wounded boars in thick brush in the middle of the night even if I DID have all the cool thermal and night vision gadgets you have not to mention your mobile UTV hunting blind and your suppressed Sig hog slammers...
wink.gif

$bob$ (who is comfortably perched in his soft office chair in front of his non-threatening computer while sipping a nice cup of hot coffee and marveling at what a nut job you are...) LOL

To tell you the truth, that was not such a grand idea me going out there after the wounded boar alone by mysel.

I pretty much thought that he had expired from the devastating .308 hit at short range, but that was not the case.

Me on the ground alone in deep thick woods with a wounded large boar hog was simply very dangerous, even during the day, it definitely was a two man job and will remember that in the future....

Went for a nice hike on the forest grade last night and shot six but only recovered three of them, difficult keeping them out of the thick palmetto underbrush....

Selfie.jpg

First%20Two.jpg

Hog6.jpg

Ruger 10-22 with FLIR RS-64 and Gemtech Mist Integral Suppressor shooting Winchester .22LR 42 grain SubSonics.

Splat, Splat, Splat, Splat is all you hear as the slugs tear the Dillon bodies all apart.

Got 12 in the yard last month and off to a good start this month!

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

These are the best .22 HPs I've ever used.

SP,

The only dillo I ever ate was at a wild game cookout and of course I didn't need to clean it but it was excellent.

Have you been eating some of them? I suspect they're nasty to clean and a lot of work.

$bob$

I ate some at a wild game feast too, but I would not do it again, they are just too nasty carrying Leprosy and everything.

Talking to many old timer Crackers, they tell me they used to eat them all the time back during the depression years.

This Gemtech Integral Suppressed barrel is the quietest .22 can ever!

Suppressed%20Ruger.JPG

Very Cool

I was down near Sarasota at a buddies few weeks ago. Killed my first pigs. You are a good bit north of there. It was lots of fun. Great Meat too.

So, I have been after this rather large herd of boars that have been showing up at my feeding tubes irregularly late at night over a 2 square mile area.

They always show up after midnight between 1-4AM.

I got one a couple of weeks back by my lonesome self and had some out of state friends coming in and was trying to get them acclimated to my mobile PVC feeder pipe tubes to get them out of the thick stuff and into the open to anchor them. Once they show up on the feeder pipes they are usually there for an hour beating the pipes up to get the corn and molasses out of them.

The site is 1/4 mile behind my house, so takes 5 minutes to walk out there.

We setup up out there Thursday night at 12 midnight and stayed until 3AM and saw the usual coons, deer, possums, armadillos while sitting in the UTV watching their heat signatures on the FLIR Pan/Tilt thermal system in the cab.

Walked down to bait pipes and found they had already been hit prior to us showing up at midnight, this has not happened on the game cams in 2-3 months so was pissed, looked at game cam pics to confirm.

Went out to dinner Saturday night at Sonny BBQ and had some awesome smoked ribs and beer. Got home at 10PM and got ready to head out.

Walked out my forest grade road behind house in heavy fog and humidity from rain previously in the day, everything was monthermatic.

Within five minutes saw two big hogs at feeder 250 yards out, air was dead still and ground damp so continued to stalk closer.

Stalked up to 50 yards and stood still in forest grade and tried to target a hog for a headshot with our 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel but hogs fought each other over the corn pipe and kept moving around the tree it was anchored to.

Finally one presented with a head shot and opened up.

First target fell and collapsed onto the ground, transitioned to second target and shot it twice, then first target got up wounded with what appeared a broken front leg and tried to scurry into dense underbrush, continued firing back at first target, it fell again and transitioned back to second target now much deeper in the woods with 3-4 more rounds. Slapped in fresh magazines and advanced onto the first target to get it anchored as was intermittently crawling and trying to stand, put six more rounds into first target, second target was now a thermal anomaly and deep into the heavy underbrush.

Shot first target two more times and appeared it was no longer moving. Walked up to it and was shocked to see the size of it still breathing so shot into neck with two 6.5 Grendel rounds at 20 feet.

First target dead, look for second and scout around for it to no avail.

Walk home to get 4WD ATV to get back 175 yards into very thick underbrush and haul dead hog out, very difficult to say the least.

Get hog out to forest grade and ride home to get the tractor, recover hog and string him up.

NV view of road from where we started shooting, hogs came in from the left:

UTV%20IR.jpg

Thermal view from FLIR Pan/Tilt of the same area:

FLIR.jpg

Hog finally down 175 yards back into brush after shooting began:

Guy%20on%20Hog.jpg

Finally got him after emptying a magazine at him, hole is head was coup de grace:

Guy%20on%20Hog2.jpg

Very difficult getting him back to forest road:

ATV%20Hog.jpg

Strung him up in barn to butcher and take to Veterinary School to have meat professionally processed:

Me%20Guy%20Hog.jpg

Stout dude:

Me%20Guy%20Hog%202.jpg

520 pounds

520%20Scale.jpg

Should have had .308s with 175gr, the 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel was not enough...

We did mange to get some snackers too....

3%20hogs.jpg

Now that's " taking home the bacon " ! The damage those things do have to be HUGE also. Great write up & pics ! Thanks for sharing !

It was pretty scary being two feet on the ground next to this beast.

There are not many 500+ pound animals you can hunt at night anywhere in North America.

Here is that Boar Hog's last selfie prior to running into us and the 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel.[:D]

Game%20Cam%20Hog.JPG

Daytime shot of the two crack pipes where he went down:

Crack%20Pipes.jpg

Back