Your Opinion: IS COOPER WORTH THE $$$

Here is a thought, even when everything is planned out carefully. The best stuff is used by the best gunsmith. Sometimes the project still doesn't turn out right. I don't see how factory rifles would be different. Someone mentioned tikka for a factory rifle I don't think there is anything more accurate. I have owned 4 and all could put 3 shots into 1/2" ish. Imo that is all the accuracy you can use in any rifle.

I have a bit over 2 grand in my two Coopers, bought years ago on closeout when a local dealer couldn't sell 'em to the hilljacks and "spray and pray" shooters around here. I, too, have been able to better the test target with one, and equal it with the other with handloads - at 100 yards, not the 50 or whatever they came with. Not sure that if I'd spend the bucks for an M54 repeater at today's price, but wouldn't rule one out (if I wasn't retired
smile.gif
). If you can live without a magazine, used "single shot" Coopers occasionally pop up at pretty reasonable prices. Coopers aren't perfect, and may be overpriced compared to what some can put a semi-custom together for, but they stand by what they sell (although I'm sure there are a few out there who will differ); any follow-up I experienced with them has been first-rate. Oh, yeah: pretty sure the synthetic stocks are are Bell and Carlson now.
However, if you can buy a new repeating Sako 85 Varmint at the price you say, that would be tempting. Bear in mind that Sakos - especially the "lower-end" 75/85s and A7s (I have one) - aren't without their problems, and owner Beretta isn't renowned for great customer service.

I don't have any of these fancy bolt actions, but it seems like I read that when you buy a Cooper new, they will rebarrel it for free if you shoot it out? Might make it a good option for pdog shooters.

One thing about a Cooper, they hold their value for a long time! If and when you decide to sell, you won't take a terrible hard hit.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOne thing about a Cooper, they hold their value for a long time! If and when you decide to sell, you won't take a terrible hard hit.

My experience has been that if you're not in a hurry or just plain foolish, you'll very likely make good money selling a Cooper. That's the mark of an investment.

On the other side of the coin, I truly like a lot of other modern factory rifles including 700's, Model 70's, and newer rifles like Tikkas and Howas. However, none of them generally prove to be an investment when you try to peddle them with the exception of Pre-64 Model 70 rifles in good condition

I am also a fan of older L-series Sako rifles, and if sold prudently, you can usually make some coin on them.

I have had a couple of Cooper rifles. Had some Dakota rifles too. Pretty rifles, but all of the Savage Model 10 Predator rifles I have owned would out shoot them. I still think Savages are butt ugly. However, they generally shoot decent considering the inside of the barrels usually look like a corn cob. Buy a Savage and if it doesn't shoot barrel with a Shilen and do a bedding job (unless it's an Accustock).

I owned a Cooper Phoenix 223 years ago. Very sharp looking gun! After I sold it, I went custom and never looked back. I liked the action a lot. The trigger was good but not user-adjustable for pull weight. The stock was attractive and plenty good enough. But it was never quite as accurate as I hoped it would be. With a Jewel trigger and a truly custom match barrel, it would have been the "cat's meow". The test targets are or at least were, to my knowledge, shot at 33 yards indoors with a high magnification scope. Are they worth it? Sure, if you pick the right one. If it were my money, I'd get a Remington donor and add a custom barrel, better trigger and put it into a pillar-bedded action. Or I'd just see if Savage makes a heavy barrel that fits the bill.
Good luck!

There's a lot of good points made here, for and against. Will a Kreigoff bust clays better than a Mossberg? Corvette better than a Yugo? Ford vs Chevy. Its all up to the guy spending the money. Coopers are real close to being a custom rifle, or they use to be anyway. Its been a while since I owned on. But.........for the same money or close to it, you can build one that will perform really good too!

You mentioned you are looking for a Cooper with an HS Precision stock. Did you find a used Cooper? FWIW, Cooper has been going on the cheap for quite some time now. They are no longer using HS Precision. They are using the less expensive Bell and Carlson.

Hi Ankeny. Wish I could post pics. My 22-250 Phoenix built 11-18-2016 has the new HS stock, black with lots of blue webbing and forearm vents, & the Cooper end label under other says HS Precision stock. It's a beautiful stock. There's a M54 phoenix in 243 on Gbroker in the blk/blue & it shows the end label as HS Precision stock. Kind of surprised me too.
JD

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI don't have any of these fancy bolt actions, but it seems like I read that when you buy a Cooper new, they will rebarrel it for free if you shoot it out? Might make it a good option for pdog shooters.

My Dad has a couple of Cooper's and they will rebarrel them for $125 if you are the original owner. The one's he has are great shooter's. He likes his so much he ordered another one 6 months ago and paid the extra for AAA Walnut.

my savage model 11 243 shoots 1/4 Moa out of it I put a boyds stock on it so I would say no I wouldnt pay the extra money for a copper rifle

Good to hear Cooper went back to HS Precision. I know they took a lot of heat over the rifles with the B&C stocks. A friend of mine bought a 6.5 Creedmoor about 3 years ago and it had a B&C stock.

Originally Posted By: Texas Swifty Am I going to get 1/4moa better accuracy on average with Cooper?

They are beautiful and quality rifles but the answer to this question is probably not.

To me the big draw to Cooper rifles is their beautiful wood stocks. The barrels are free floated, but the tolerances between wood and metal are very tight. All action screws are are tightened down and pointed in same direction. The model 54s magazine and latch are machined nice kinda like a nice watch is. You can pretty much customize them the way you want them, even put your own serial number on them using letters and numbers. Like the old cowboy would say [ PURDY ]
I can't say they will out shoot any Savage rifle, but there shouldn't be any other comparison.

Truthfully..... my pockets, my money...... I cant stand these barrel nut guns... they are ugly to me but thats just me..... Remember, I am a single shot guy.....

Will these Coopers shoot better..... well, I dont care as long as they will shoot to my expectations out of the box. Better than that is up to me and my reloads.....

Life, for me, is really getting to short to own or shoot what in my eyes is an ugly gun or shoots less than my initial expectations in accuracy.....

This is all just my opinion.......

Maybe a couple of pictures of the fairer sex will help to illustrate the more obvious differences between a Savage and a Cooper.

A Savage: Cooks a great meal and is extremely grateful in bed.

56556e3ad445587c447b5151217b9d40_zps4ycs5vsx.jpg

A Cooper: Can't cook.

images_zpsi2fvoptt.jpeg

Originally Posted By: Texas SwiftyBelieve I'll have the Cooper. I can always eat fast foods. I don't like an ugly gun either!
JD
What he said^^^

Back