Your Opinion: IS COOPER WORTH THE $$$

BCD 45

I'm wanting a new long range (400-600 yd.) predator/target rifle. I'd be doing more paper punching than predator shooting & I think my minds set on .243. I've been looking hard at a Cooper M54 Phoenix with a HS Precision stock but man $$$$$. Accuracy is my main objective. Is the Cooper worth the money over some others like Winchester, Rem., Kimber, etc. Am I going to get 1/4moa better accuracy on average with Cooper? I'm just beating myself up trying to decide. Thanks,
JD

Originally Posted By: Texas Swifty Am I going to get 1/4moa better accuracy on average with Cooper?

Of course not.

Decent chance it will shoot better than any of the others you mentioned. Not a certainty, but good chance. But 1/4 MOA? Or better??? As in, a rifle that averages that, for five shot groups? In a .243 no less? It's not impossible, but it's very, very unlikely. Very!

- DAA

I forgot to add this. The 2nd one I've been looking at is the laminated stock Sako 85 Stainless varmint fluted in .243. I just haven't heard much about these. I found a place I can get the Sako for $1649 new in box.
JD

listen to dave, I think in order to get 1/4 moa you just aren't going to be able to pull that off with a factory rifle chamber. You need every piece of the puzzle working just right and together. this means, chamber, brass prep, load work up, an excellent barrel, etc. I think all these items need to be working together and planned out when a build starts, pulling a gun of the shelf where none of these things were consideration, I don't feel is likely to plan on.

Ehhhh.... Maybe. But maybe not. Cooper is more accurate on average, than the ones you mention. But, I'm not sure I'd put any money on it being that much better. Would come down to individual, specific examples. Some would, some wouldn't. Far from a safe bet.

You didn't mention Savage, or Tikka. I'd make Cooper about even money to run with a Savage. Which, is to also say, even money the Savage shoots as good or better.

- DAA

Just throwing this out there. MOA= 1.0471996 inchs at 100yds. 1/4 MOA at 100yds is .2617999 inchs. Thats putting every bullet basically threw the same hole. I'm really really good but even I can't do that. Smile people smile!!!
tt2.gif
Rustydust can though!!

Hope everyone rereads my post & understands that I'm not asking if it will shoot a 1/4" group. It just wasn't read close enough.
JD

JD, I think DAA answered your post. There are too many variables with each rifle to say will this brand will shoot better than another. Save your money and get a semi custom or custom rifle. I believe a good barrel and the right ammo with a Great scope helps shoot better than "The Other Rifles". Shooter also helps. The Coopers I've been around have not impressed me any more than the Savage, Rem,etc.. They were better looking but did not shoot any better,in fact,some shot a lot worse than the other brands.

I would remage a 700 or go with a savage and for dang sure would stay away from a new rem. Im not sure if anything will shoot a 1/4 better than my savages.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm really really good but even I can't do that. Smile people smile!!!
tt2.gif
Rustydust can though!!

Har har har, Bill!
tt2.gif
You are such a liar!

I have shot a bunch of those proverbial one hole groups over the years, yes. And ten times that many that were anything but. Just proved that at the range a few days ago. But then yesterday my freshly scrubbed .17 Remmy was back to five-in-a-dime shooting and I was all happy again. Tomorrow I plan on making some sage rats very UNhappy with it. At least that's the plan anyway.

But enough hijacking. Coopers are really nice guns. Would love to have one in .20 Vartarg.

Do I think they are worth the money they cost? Nope. But that's just me.

I'd go with a Sako or Tikka, oh guess I've already done that a bunch of times. Sauer is very nice too, I've done that several times already.

I will say I'very always been a big fan of buying American made. However I agree with those who say no way will a Cooper best all other makers by 1/4 moa based on the best averages of each maker. Some Savages are very accurate right out of the box, I happen to own one and was delightfully surprised. However I also own 2 Tikkas, a T3 lite in .243 and a Hunter in .308. Tikkas are made by Sako and distributed by/owned by Berreta. Here's what I like about them, Tikka warrantees 3 out of 5 rounds in sub moa. Sako warrantees 5 out of 5 sub moa,IIRC. Each gun came with a target verifying the individual guns ability before it left the factory. SAKO big bucks, Tikka 5-600 dollar range. Both my Tikkas are nail drivers. Now obviously as has been mentioned there are many variables and sounds like your very aware of them. Comparing the cost of the Cooper to that of a Tikka or even a Sako, and hoping for better accuracy is simply rolling the dice. I surely would not risk it. A couple of years back a Tikka guy won the 1000 yd shoot off with 4.4 inches at 1000 yds with a Tikka T3 lite. IMO it don't get any better than that.

I always wanted one...25 years ago. Then I bought a reloader. I am a true believer(in most rifles)by adding a HS prescion stock and a timney trigger along with finding the right load will shoot better than than the shooter will ever give it credit for. Ninety nine percent of my 700s will cloverleaf eventualy with load development. I would assume cooper has a better quality barrel on it that would shoot tighter with a larger array of offerings? With that said if you don't reload I would assume a cooper probably dose a little better with factory ammo? Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
My buddy had a cooper in a 6br I have one in a savage. His was a nice rifle, did it out shoot my savage
No. Did it cost alot more yes. Would I by one no,for that kind of coin it would be a custom.

He no longer has the cooper,went full custom I still have my savage and it shoots very well.

Is a BMW worth more than a Chevy? Like anything in life personal preference will dictate worth. As for Coopers I have 7 and have bettered the test target with each. I also have Savages ( with after market barrels )that will run with my coopers. They may not be worth it to you, but if you try one you might like it.

Back