Your Opinion: IS COOPER WORTH THE $$$

I'm 60 and my years of waiting are over. I just bought a beautiful Cooper Jackson Game with a maple stock and a stainless barrel. It's like a pretty wife. It may not work but it's sure Purdy. It's just gorgeous for a 22-250. Cooper told me that all their 22-250's use 37gr of H380 under a 50gr BlitzKing. The test target was a clover leaf. I think that is a [beeep] of a start.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThere's a lot of good points made here, for and against. Will a Kreigoff bust clays better than a Mossberg? Corvette better than a Yugo? Ford vs Chevy. Its all up to the guy spending the money. Coopers are real close to being a custom rifle, or they use to be anyway. Its been a while since I owned on. But.........for the same money or close to it, you can build one that will perform really good too!

I had to look up Krieghoff. Jesus.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettlisten to dave, I think in order to get 1/4 moa you just aren't going to be able to pull that off with a factory rifle chamber. You need every piece of the puzzle working just right and together. this means, chamber, brass prep, load work up, an excellent barrel, etc. I think all these items need to be working together and planned out when a build starts, pulling a gun of the shelf where none of these things were consideration, I don't feel is likely to plan on.

I have a factory rifle that is a consistent 1/4 MOA gun with just handloading, and no crazy case prep. Also, it is a 300 WM. It is hands down the most accurate factory rifle I have ever shot.

As said, it is possible, but unlikely. Those guns are literally once in a blue moon guns, to come across.

I have a Cooper Phoenix in .204 that shoots bug holes. but I am not happy with the bolt and firing pin set up. The screw at the back of the bolt will loosen up just a tad then you have to get the screw driver out and tighten it up again. My Savage LRPV is a beast. Great shooter and it cost half of what the Cooper cost. As far as Savages looking ugly all I got to say is at the 100, 200, 300 yard mark looking back at the bench it looks pretty dad gum good.
Is the Cooper worth it ????? Resale is ok if you buy it right. For me I'd buy the Savage in a .308 and rebarrel it with a Shilen Select Match Grade barrel in .243 . Put any stock you want on it and a Rifle Basix Trigger. You'll get the accuracy your looking for.

Back