IR hunter mk2 35mm dead

Mcallister

Well I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones with the mk2 35mm. I just got my scope yesterday and I pulled it out of the packaging and flipped it on, played with it for maybe 5 minutes outside before I mounted it on my rifle. Then I went and sighted it in, no problems except the menu on the left where it should say 1-8 was blank except for the box that would show which menu your currently on but that came back after the menu timed out and I turned the menu knob again. At this point I'm pretty excited to use it in the field so I head out behind the house and try calling but nothing wants to play except the cows in the pasture. I head out to my next stand, turn the scope on and calibrate it then I go to look through it and the screen is completely blank except for the menus that are showing up on the screen. So I try to calibrate it a few times with no luck and the same outcome, I try cycling the power a few times with no luck and the exact same blank screen with the menu showing. Finally after letting it set for about 15 minutes I turn it on, calibrate it and it seems to be working fine so I leave it on for about a minute and I go to look through it and now it's completely off, black screen. I try cycling the power and absolutely nothing happens. Change out the brand new batteries with 4 different sets and still no power. I got it through tnvc so hopefully I can get ahold of them soon to get this replaced because I must say when this thing is working it absolutely blows my mind. Has anyone else had any problems with theirs?

From what you posted it siounds like you just received a bad scope. I occasionally have a few glitches that seem to be related to weak batteries and now I only use the Energizer Lithium batteries as they seem to run better.

I have 3 IR Defense units and I feel confident that you will have a replacement unit by this time next week.

You said you bought it from TNVC so Vic should have you a new unit shipped Mon morning.

Last edited:
Mcallister,
I have the MK II 20 mm scope and have had it about 9 months I guess. I do have a few glitches occasionally but they clear up after turning the unit on/off. Nothing that I have really had any issue with. I hunted some last Monday night and everything was fine. I turned the unit on Tuesday and half of the OLED screen was black and the other half had black streaks across it. I could view whatever I was looking at between the lines on the screen. I called IR defense and they received the unit Thursday. They said it would be back in 1-2 weeks. I hate it because we are hot and heavy in coyote action right now. I hope I get it back this week. Will keep updates as it happens.

I was told by IR defense it's a minimum of a 3 week turnaround. Tnvc is taking care of me though and Sending a brand new unit out.

Originally Posted By: McallisterI was told by IR defense it's a minimum of a 3 week turnaround. Tnvc is taking care of me though and Sending a brand new unit out.

That is AWESOME!

Originally Posted By: McallisterI was told by IR defense it's a minimum of a 3 week turnaround. Tnvc is taking care of me though and Sending a brand new unit out.

That's good news.

That is phenomenal service. I received a tracking number today with 2 day delivery. I would have to recommend tnvc to anyone looking to purchase anything nightvision.

How far would you guys say you can confidently take shots at coyotes with the ir hunter 35mm as well as the 19mm. A friend of mine is looking into picking up a thermal scope as well. For the brief moment I used my 35 I could clearly see cows at 6-700 yards away but am curious how it's going to work on the coyotes.

This coyote was 240 yards with the MKII-35 at 4X power and 130 grain .308 handload:

IRD%20Coyote2B.jpg

I would not shoot over maximum 4X range as 8X is a washout.

IR defense customer service v.s FLIR's customer service

I bought a Mark 3 60mm from TNVC received it the next day via fed-ex. Sighted it in that night however deer season made it illegal to do any night time coyote hunting that weekend. So 7 days after receiving the scope I'm able to use it for the second time and 2 hours later the screen goes gray and never recovers.

Called TNVC figuring if they started the warranty return I'd get better service from IR Defense. To my surprise they told me that normally they would send out a new replacement scope but unfortunately they were out of stock. TNVC then contacted IR defense to ask them to send a call tag. They did a regular 5-6 day ground shipping label.

Not wanting to wait that long I shipped it next day at my own expense and followed up with a phone call. 4 or 5 calls later I got someone who could talk to me about fixing to scope. He told me it would be a couple of days before he would have time to check it out and longer to fix it a new/replacement scope wasn't a option as this was a warranty issue. I told him a 7 day old scope with 3 hours on it was still new.

So the calling must have worked because 48 hours later the scope had a new core ready to ship. I asked for next day return as it would have arrived on Friday and was told no. I called twice to talk to the shipping person but they could be bothered to take the call. I would of paid the difference myself. At no point was I ever rude to anyone I just expected more.

FLIR
A few years ago I preordered a LS-64 after a 6 months I decided that it wasn't working as good as it should and returned it to FLIR who promptly sent me a brand new unit.

Originally Posted By: family guyIR defense customer service v.s FLIR's customer service

Why are you even involved with shipping and calling the factory? You should have had another unit drop shipped from the factory or another dealer that had one in stock Next Day Air at no charge. The defective scope should have been sent back to TNVC and they should have dealt with issue with IR Defense at the dealer level.

I know 2 dealers right now that have them in stock.

I can say TNVC went above and beyond to help me out and had me a brand new unit shipped 2 day ASAP, but it did seem like ir defense was just "yeah, we'll get to it when we can" they quoted me a minimum of 3 weeks on a couple day old scope.

hey guys, my mk2 35mm has been sent back to the shop twice in one year for firmware updates. I noticed the image quality was no where near my buddies scopes. One of my buddies 20mm scope all the sudden went to crap also....freaking Panasonic batteries were the culprit. Out of our 5 35mm scopes, one patrol unit, and one 20mm only two have had problems...bad batters did it every time.

Ya know your scope gets left on and you want to hunt so you steal batteries out of your flashlight...they better be Energizer or Duracell

Originally Posted By: The DukeI use surefire and have never had a problem.

I would stick with Energizer in the IR Defense units. Most issues people are having are battery related. If mine starts acting up I toss the batteries and put in a new set.

Originally Posted By: SledgeOr just run the auxiliary battery pack and don't worry about battery brands.

I have one coming in this week.

Last edited:
You'll like it. I just use a stock pack to put the battery in. Works awesome. Been using it for a couple weeks and haven't had to charge it yet.

Back