Savage axis

Tom 59

Looking for input on these rifles. Pros and cons. Accuracy dependability etc. I know they aren't the prettiest guns out there, not concerned with looks, just a good shooter. Thanks
Yes I did a search, very vague.

Most people that own them, like them. Going to the club today to help a buddy sight his in. I'll give more info when I return. Been looking at one in 22-250 myself. Only draw back I have heard from him so far is the scope bases that come with the rifle are to far apart for a small scope. He had to replace it with a one piece base.

I have a 22-250 and 223. They are both very accurate guns mine are shooting half moa with hand loads. There not the prettiest or the smoothest action but they are accurate and cheap. I like tem for a cheap beat around gun mine never leaves the truck.

I own 2 in 223. one with heavy barrel and accu trigger and the other is sporter barrel and stock trigger. both guns shoot holes touching at 100yards. I wouldn't trade them for anything. price is great. savage is a great company and they are light guns too.

I have an axis in 223 sported barrel. It now sits in a Boyds thumbhole and timney trigger. Although it shoots great 1/2 inch w benchmark and 50 grain nosler btips it shot excellent as is with american eagle varmint tipped ammo.

Agree with what most others have posted , not the prettiest but i have yet to see one that is not very accurate , my 22-250 will shoot .3 groups if i do my part and leave the Bbl cool between shots.

Looked @ a couple last Wednesday. I did not like the plastic trigger guard and found a left hand 16 weather warrior in the used rack. But for 240 dollars plus the rebate that savage is offering I feel like you would be hard pressed to do better for the money.

I had one in 22-250 and had no problems with it. Plenty accurate, Triggers a little stiff, Id maybe spend the extra few bucks for accu trigger. The scope that comes with the package is junk, you'd want to replace it.For the price, they are a great deal in my opinion. I upgraded to a T/C Venture 22-250...but I got another Axis in .223 just because they are a great value.

Originally Posted By: Tom 59Looking for input on these rifles. Pros and cons. Accuracy dependability etc. I know they aren't the prettiest guns out there, not concerned with looks, just a good shooter. Thanks
Yes I did a search, very vague.

Have one in 260 remington (its a rebarrel from mcgowen) and its shoots sub half MOA at 100yds. And I didnt spend $3k on it either. There great shooting rifles for the money and easy to customize also if you go that route.

The range trip went pretty good. My buddy's Axis shot both the Winchester 45 grain HP and 53 grain Hornady V-Max under an inch at 200yds. Needless to say, I was impressed. Just may end up getting one of these. Only negative, it seemed to have a hard time ejecting spent rounds unless you were pretty firm with it.

I have an edge, the original name, in 25-06. Is been my primary hunting rifle since it's first range day. He'll of a good shooter.

As posted above, they are accurate and very inexpensive. Downside is the flexxy stock and heavy trigger. Both of which can be upgraded, but by then you have spent the money for a Model 10/110. For someone looking for a cheap accurate rifle, they are a good choice. I modded my trigger to reduce the weight of pull and am preparing to stiffen the stock. It is a truck gun and I do not worry about the abuse it gets.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds like its just what im in the market for. Cheap, light, accurate and ugly. A knockaround backup rifle that shoots well. Thanks again.

The trigger is an easy mod, it is a fairly clean break and costs about a quarter to get it into the 3 pound range. Imo the stock flex is a non issue. The stick could whip 90 degrees in a light breeze and I wouldn't care as long as it shoots as elm as it does.

They are a solid, but ugly, rifle. My buddy bought two on markdown at Walmart for $199 each with Accutrigger and cheap scope. This was with the $50 rebate in effect. I don't know how anybody can beat that for a basic rifle. Both are accurate and his grandsons are happy campers.

I have the Savage Axis XP Camo .223 rifle and personally I think it's a very good looking Rifle,mine came with the Scope Package of the Bushnell 3x9x40 matte black scope that is Factory bore sighted and right out of the box it was hitting well inside the Target Rings...within a few adjustments and just a few shots I was dead on at 50 yards then out to 100 yards and some more fine tuning I was grouping really good and was hitting in the Bullseye.

I'm using Hornady 55 grain V-max Ammo and it does great on putting down the Coyotes,it's a nice light weight Rifle that does great in good and bad weather and is my "Go To Rifle" during rainy wet conditions or extreme cold and Snowy Weather!

Chris Flynn.....I was also wondering about the Savage A-17 Rifle,being a .17 HMR Rifle with chances for multiple follow-up shots it might not be a bad Rifle to have?It should do really well on smaller thin skinned Game like Foxes,Bobcats,Racoons and Groundhogs.....Coyotes might be a little too big but with a Person throwing several rounds into them it could be pretty deadly on them? ;0)

Last edited:
I bought a Ruger American in 223 today. Sure wished I would have done some more research. Looks like a problem child. If I new then what I know now, I would have bought the Savage instead.

My son has an Axis in 223 that has been thrashed hard . It has been cleaned and oiled and continues to function flawlessly . He hunts in the rain and snow a lot and the gun fits the purpose very well . The plastic stock looks like it has been thru a war but has not broke as others claim happens . When he's not working he is in the woods this time of year .

Back