Savage axis

I'm sure results may vary, but I am absolutely tickled to death with mine! I have the Axis XP II with the accutrigger so I can't vouch for the standard model. Mine is in 243 Win and the accuracy is nothing short of amazing. People have labeled this great little rifle as entry level, a budget rifle, ugly, and several other descriptions that would lead one to believe that this rifle is of lower quality or substandard. While the metal finish is not world class and the stock feels light and a little flimsy......it certainly doesn't deserve some of the negative labels that have been affixed to it. It's definitely not the belle of the ball, but for my needs.....accuracy is where the rubber meets the road and this rifle has it in spades. Much of my predator hunting is done in adverse weather conditions and I like having a rifle that I am not constantly worried about getting one little drop of water or snow on. With longer walks to stands, I also appreciate the fact that the stock is light, some say cheap and flimsy, but I prefer "adequate". Also, I would consider the scope adequate for very basic needs, but this rifle deserves much better glass and needs it to realize its full potential. In fact...I wish they offered the rifle without the scope and lowered the price even more so you could put the savings towards some good glass. Bottom line is...if you are looking for an affordable rifle and you are not the type that is overly concerned about looks, then give the Axis a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

20150729_210949_zpswuxwuxha.jpg
[/URL]

20150729_211013_zpskxjkf98h.jpg
[/URL]

This group is 3 shots at 100 yards. When shooting for groups or testing accuracy, I always shoot off a good bench and bags. This is pretty typical of what this rifle is capable of. This is the Winchester VarmintX 58 grain factory round (first load I tried in this rifle). Are you ready for the best part?.......I BOUGHT THIS RIFLE USED FOR $200!
smile.gif
Good luck with your decision and I hope yours shoots like mine.

Well I went out and pulled the trigger on a new axis last night, before the Cabelas sale ended. Got one in .223 with no glass. Will give it a good cleaning, find a scope for it and take it to the range. Thanks again for all the input. Hoping it turns out to be a decent shooter.

All I have done to mine is work on the trigger.....three times now. It still sucks but its usable. I loaded 40gr Bergers, 55gr BlitzKings and 60gr Nosler. All shot good but the Bergers and the BlitzKings really shined. In the sub 1/2 range for 5 shot groups. Maybe it was the Kustom Krylon Kamo job that did it.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyThe trigger is an easy mod, it is a fairly clean break and costs about a quarter to get it into the 3 pound range. Imo the stock flex is a non issue. The stick could whip 90 degrees in a light breeze and I wouldn't care as long as it shoots as elm as it does.

what do you do to modify the trigger?

I took one and a half coils off the spring. No More!! Then polished everything the best I could. Look it up on youtube. I tried the 10-24 bolt and spring but the factory trigger mod was better IMO. Still not a great trigger but..... it works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI took one and a half coils off the spring. No More!! Then polished everything the best I could. Look it up on youtube. I tried the 10-24 bolt and spring but the factory trigger mod was better IMO. Still not a great trigger but..... it works.

I tried a few of the mods. They worked somewhat. I shot the lock off my wallet and splurged for a RifleBasix SAV-1. Worth the money.

Last edited:

I tried a few of the mods. They worked somewhat. I shot the lock of my wallet and splurged for a RifleBasix SAV-1. Worth the money. [/quote]

Best idea!! Thinking about dipping into the safe and springing for one myself.

The issue with the bases is not limited to the Axis. Many scope today have shorter tubes than in the past. If the scope is too short it is not an issue with the rifle.

Got out to the range today. Gun shot ok, had some issues with ejecting the spent shells. Id say 60 to 75% would not eject. Just kind of fell off the bolt head and laid in the reciever?? Not thrilled with that. Need to look into it. Was using remington and hornady ammo. Heres a 3 shot group at 100yds using hornady 55 gr. spire point.

509a7e47-e0fa-41ed-b8b4-92b2ae40f648_zpsnsoute1h.jpg
[/URL]

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI was looking at Boyd's stocks. Is the Axis 223 really considered a short action? Looks long to me.

Thats because it is. All axis are long action, well actions. They convert to a short action with a different trigger guard and an appropriate magazine. It is one of the cost savings measures, almost every part is universal, just change a part or 2 depending on caliber.

The entire rifle was designed to be inexpensive, not a standard rifle cheapened to fill a niche. The methods used work pretty well.

Originally Posted By: Tom 59Got out to the range today. Gun shot ok, had some issues with ejecting the spent shells. Id say 60 to 75% would not eject. Just kind of fell off the bolt head and laid in the reciever?? Not thrilled with that. Need to look into it. Was using remington and hornady ammo. Heres a 3 shot group at 100yds using hornady 55 gr. spire point.

509a7e47-e0fa-41ed-b8b4-92b2ae40f648_zpsnsoute1h.jpg
[/URL]

Bought my Axis .223 when it was called the Edge. Chuckle, guess my problem with poor ejection still happens. Only way I can eject the spent brass is to yank back the bolt fairly fast. Any other bolt rifle I'd yank back that fast, would throw the brass pretty far. My .223 brass barely gets out of the receiver.

Agree with NDindy, Axis .223 is a long action.

Gent I shoot with has bought a couple of Axis, but rebarreled them shorty after buying them, putting a more heavy benchrest type barrel on them. I've done the same thing with my Axis, but now its a 6x45 (aka 6mm.223) And yep, we both replaced our triggers with a Rifle Basix.

Last edited:
Got me curious so I tried mine. It doesn't sling brass a long ways but with a firm, not a yank, it throws a spent round far enough to clear the action and ready itself for a new round. It works!! All that really matters to me.
As far as long or short action, what does a guy order if wanting to replace the tupperware stock?

NdIndy is correct. Technically it is built as a long action. Then converted to short action depending on cartridge size. To order a stock, order by the cartridge size you have. 223, 22-250 270 etc. Almost all 22 calibers are considered short action. 270, 280, 30-06 etc. are considered long action. This link wont load, but google remington short or long action theres a list there.

https://support.remington.com/General_Information/Which_calibers_are_long_action_and_which_are_short_action%3F

Mine is an edge as well (25-06), but if you don't call it an axis only a handful of people know what you're talking about
laugh.gif
I got mine brand new for a grand total, including shipping, $209. I spent about $5 swapping springs to get it down to about 3.5lbs, besides spray paint it's the only mod it's seen. It was one of my screwing around on GB guns that I didn't assume I would win. I've bought a half dozen or so of off GB, I can think of 1 I actually intended to buy and the rest have been just killing time and ended up having to write a check
smile.gif
It's often times worth doing searches on misspellings like egde
laugh.gif

I've carried it more in the field and put more animals in the freezer with it than all my guns combined.

I'm usually pretty slow on the bolt when I'm hunting, but I don't recall ever aving an ejection issue with mine. 99% of the time I still have the empty chambered when I get back to the truck.

I bought mine for $259. with a $50 rebate. Picked up an $8. base, had a set of rings and a Redfield scope at the house. A little time working on the trigger and about an hour or so giving it a "Delux" Kamo Krylon paint job. Going out in the morning and deer hunt a couple of hours then get out the Savage and see if I can whack a yote.

Mine looks just like your NdIndy...only different!! LOL

Back