Best predator hunting pickup truck

I have a 1500 extended cab rather than the four door because the wheel base of the longer 4 door makes it alot harder to turn around on narrow snow covered roads.

I have had Ford Bronco 2's for years. First was an 87, second 89 and currently an 86. They are getting hard to find up here. I put 235's on them, a heavy channel iron front bumper with a 8500lb Ramsey winch. I'm in a lot of timber and narrow brushy roads. They turn the shortest of any rig I have ever been in which is a big help. You can crawl in low range (5speed) and run down the blacktop 65-70 with ease. The 86 I have now had 91K on it when I bought it last fall and I hope it will last me quite awhile. I also have a 2010 tundra 4 door, but it just to big for ramming around in this area. Barlow

dunno where you've seen tacomas & tundras for the same price, I haven't. not even close. saw something that seemed to indicate the tacoma doesn't come in 4WD either, which would both account for much of the price difference & keep me from buying one. while I don't need 4WD very often, I've found that when i do need it, I really need it LOL

best predator hunting truck is one that you can reliably get in and it starts, and takes you to and from the hunting area without issues.
Make and model don't realy matter if it doesn't do this basic function. After that it's all about personal preference and what you can afford.

as I said, I read something that indicated it. I don't know much about the truck except that I see a lot of them around town.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishdunno where you've seen tacomas & tundras for the same price, I haven't. not even close.

I've seen them pretty close, on every Toyota lot I've ever been on. Looking at 2015 double cabs not too long ago, Taco's were averaging around $35K, found 2015 Tundra double cab SR5's for about $38K. That's brand new prices. I'd call that pretty close. None of the dealers were willing to move more than a few hundred off any off the stickers, either. And, as far as that goes, my best friend spent a hair over $40K on a new Tacoma last year by the time he got it off the lot. I know you can get a brand new Tundra off the lot for not much more than that.

I'm pretty sure that 2WD Taco's exist, but I don't think I've ever seen one. They are all 4x4 around here.

My buddies '14 TRD Off Road:

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-33W.jpg

When I first saw the tiny little bed on that thing, I wouldn't have believed we could fit our camp outfit and 14 dead coyotes back there, but I was wrong
cool.gif

No such thing as "the best". Too many variables. But, for just hunting coyotes, not for towing or anything else, just getting out there and hunting, I'd think a Tacoma has got to make anyone's short list of pickup trucks. Dang good little trucks.

- DAA

if a comparable tacoma is close to the cost of a tundra -say 4 door, 4x4, reasonable package like power windows/locks, AC, cruise control- I'd rather have the tundra. I just prefer full sized pickups, all else being equal or close.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishif a comparable tacoma is close to the cost of a tundra -say 4 door, 4x4, reasonable package like power windows/locks, AC, cruise control- I'd rather have the tundra. I just prefer full sized pickups, all else being equal or close.

I like a small truck for getting into and out of tight places. However, adding to Stu's comment, there is also little difference in gas mileage between the two. My full size extended cab Silverado gets only about two miles per gallon less than my son's Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishif a comparable tacoma is close to the cost of a tundra -say 4 door, 4x4, reasonable package like power windows/locks, AC, cruise control- I'd rather have the tundra.

Me too. Tacoma's are great, I dig 'em. But they are the most overpriced vehicle on the market. The flip side to that, is they hold their re-sale value better than any other vehicle on the market too. Used ones are even more overpriced than new ones! So, it's kind of like buying a 3/4 ton diesel, you pay a lot extra up front, but do get most of it back on the other side.

I need full size capability, at least 1/2 ton, for towing and hauling etc. So, yeah, a Tacoma doesn't make sense for me, either, not at that price. If I owned one, it would be highly modified, for hard core wheeling, and would be even more stupidly expensive, by far, than a stock vehicle. And, I'd LOVE to do that. But, I already have a Jeep for that
cool.gif
. It's not quite as stupidly overpriced as a Tacoma (but almost...), is more offroad capable than a Tacoma (but not by much), but also lacks the utility of a pickup truck - but does have the extreme fun factor of a convertible with body on frame construction and a solid front axle
smile.gif
. The Jeep also holds resale value very well.

If I were rich, I'd have a built Taco too though, ha-ha!

But for the types of coyote hunting my partner and I do, a Tacoma is a better truck than a full size. It's not better for a lot of other things, and it's stupidly over priced, but, there isn't anything else that matches the package.

- DAA

i sold my 2011 tacoma in october of 2013 and got a ford ecoboost brand new for 9000 cash taxes included.which i felt was a good deal tons more room[super crew] and it gets a little better milage,pulls my atv's great.i hunt off the atv mostly.lots quieter and easier to hide.it also holds 36gal of gas so it will go farther than my toyota,and i have had 5 toyota's,i looked at the gasmileage on the tundra and a friend had one it got poor mileage.they would not make any deals any where i tried.not saying it is any better but the room and ride sure is nice

in a smaller truck the new colorado's look pretty good. much better MPG than a full sized, a fair bit cheaper (comparing new vs new chevy prices) and expected reliability looks to be pretty good.

right now I get to dream about a new truck & then go drive the Mighty Beast some more LOL

Last edited:
I like the looks of the Colorado, but I have a friend who is a mechanic for a local Chevy dealer who stated it is "a rolling piece of junk," his words a couple of years ago. I have no experience with it, just going on his assessment of it. The new ones may be better.

I had a Nissan Hardbody (1997 model) that was a great little hunting truck. It didn't have much room, but that little truck would turn in very tight places. In 4x4 it was difficult to stick. I had it in some pretty tough places over a number of years and only got it stuck one time - in deep snow where it packed underneath and couldn't get traction. I miss it.

The 2wd Tacoma is the pre-runner version. If you're not looking for new look at a 2006 or older Tundra with V8. 2006 was the last year before they went to the current full size. I pull an 18 ft boat with my 06. The mid size is very comfortable and gets the job done. I will say if you are going to pull heavy stuff on a regular basis, I would recommend a full size truck. Also I've had 2 V8 Tundras an 03 and 06 acsess cabs and they both got 15-16 mpg on the interstate and around 10 mpg pulling the boat on the interstate. Tires can make a big difference in performance as well the driver.

to me the tacoma isn't as cool of an option as it used to me. my ecoboost f150 gets within 1-2 mpg of a tacoma. The cost is also too close. the f150 is going to be alot more roomier and comfortable and more capable. The tacoma is probably going to be a higher quailty truck if you put 150k miles on it. However with me I trade my vehicles off before they get to 100 k miles.

I bought a barely used Tahoe back in '08 and I love it. I did take out all the seats except the front two. I often sleep in it, and it gets great gas mileage for an SUV IMO. I took a trip to AZ a few months back and drove about 4000-4500 miles round trip. Majority was highway, but I still averaged 18.5 MPG per the computer.

I put a game carrier in the receiver hitch when I want to haul deer or other dead animals. Keeps them outside.

[

Back