Best predator hunting pickup truck

Toyota Tacoma, four door if possible, off road package. Buy the newest/lowest milege model you can afford.

2013 GMC 4X4
Its a V8...not sure what size...stuck in drift once...dug it out like an egyptian building a pyramid....backwards.
Mileage average for me 15.5 MPG
Great ride, great in the snow here in Alaksachussets.
could have more ground clearance for sure and the spoiler in the front is far too low for off road work.

Pal got the dodge eco diesel in Sept...getting high 20's for mileage.. I will be looking at that one next time around.

url]

What I had.
Truck%203_zpsccvvipca.jpg

Engine%20Done1_zps7f7jaa3c.jpg

What I miss...
Truck%20Troy3%20Smaller%20Ewing%20Road%20June%207%202011_zpsyhz4iv32.jpg

What I have now. I like the power and the extra room, but I just don't trust it as much my Toyota even though it hasn't let me down yet.
Troy0Coyotes32-20-15_zps32a65f37.jpg

I would also have to say a toyota of some kind. I had a 1996 tacoma with 250,000 miles on the original engine, transmission and everything else was original. Still ran like a top with that many miles and I sold it for just over $4,000, which I think is great resale value for a truck with that many miles on it. After I sold it I bought a 2011 tacoma and so far I'm really happy with it too.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotlook through these posts and pictures. see the trucks that are stuck and being pulled out? do not pick those models.

Pppfffttt....that's due to the driver not the truck....:)

Originally Posted By: magurohunter.........
could have more ground clearance for sure and the spoiler in the front is far too low for off road work. Oh don't worry about that front spoiler. Heck, I ripped the one on my Tahoe off one night on the Will Rodgers Turnpike. Don't even miss it.
smile.gif

Ursus,

My older brother had an older Toyota 4x4 also, but in a standard cab. We drove the crap out of it back in the 80's and 90's. Sadly cancer ate it up, but it was a running little SOB, that truck was.

I have a chevy 08 1/2 ton 4x4 that came with the G80 locker that works sweet..... It goes good with good tires.. In deep snow there is some troubles because of the low font end...It tends to push snow.. In 4 low it can get me out of most troubles... But I would like an older Toyota T100 and place this in the front and rear....
LOKKA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikegrangerYou really didn't ask this question did you?
w00t.gif

Let's see, how many model of trucks are on the market? That's how many replies you'll eventually get.

For me, it's my 1999 GMC Sierra 4x4. It has right at 194,000 miles and still going strong. It's never stranded me and runs like a top. Only problem is it sits too low and I've been know to dig out of the snow or creek a time or two.
smile.gif

Ive got a 01 with the 5.3 in it. Best truck I have ever owned. But it does ride low. I put a 3" list in it and a set of 33" tires...much much better now.

I drive a 98 K1500. Some small stuff hasn't held up so well, but in general it's been a good truck. rolled 200,000 on it last month going to the PM hunt in AZ:

IMG_20150130_083625954_zpsyjgtffkn.jpg

While in AZ I was fortunate to enjoy some hunting with bearmanric, who has a pretty new Tundra. I was very impressed after hunting from it & I think the back seat -4 door crew cab- has more room than the front.

I made the mistake of looking at new trucks after we got home. That has me wondering if I can get 15 more years out of my chevy...

I'm 53 now. If I do buy another truck, as much as they cost now the next one just might have to last until I die.

Last edited:
Not a P/U but for me the best hunting rig I've owned. 2010 Ford E-150 Cargo van with posi-traction, it has all 3/4 T running gear under it. I rigged it out with a power vent, a 36" bunk, a table and seats that convert to another 27" bunk for when I hunt with a buddy, cabinets , clothes racks , locking gun locker, fishing rod racks, electric & gas heat, and port-a-potti. With good chains, a HD comalong/winch and the posi it is a pretty much go anywhere machine. I've spent up to 6 months of the year staying in it hunting and fishing.

Bird and coyote hunting in MT, the trailer holds four dogs and is a great dry, warm place for them with a power vent on the roof for warm weather. Two of us stay in the truck and use the tent for a cook shack and lounging at night.

My little duck boat slides in the back, the motor stows along side, the doors still close, the bunk and table are still useable.

Last edited:
The best one I've ever owned was a 2012 gmc 1500 with the 6.2 liter. At 65mph on dry pavement when you stomped it to the floor it would break the tires lose. It was also super light. I believe the 6.2 has an aluminum block. That truck would go through an unbelievable amount of snow and mud. Handled like a sports car. I trade my trucks every two years and the 2014 I bought was the worst one I've ever owned. It's a 2014 2500 with the 6.6. STAY AWAY FROM A DIESEL if you want to do hardcore four wheeling. They just weigh too much. I think the next one might be a Toyota.

Last edited:

[/quote]

So I guess if get stuck in snow or mud you yank boat out, turn motor upside down and use like an air boat to pull your van out..

About the low front bumper,all you have to do is a four foot high hard snow drift at 65 mpr and problem solved.Or just replace the plastic junk with a ranch hand bumper replacement grill.You can hit a deer and just keep on going.

My current go to rig is a Suzuki Samari. It is a going little dude. same wheel base as a side by side UTV. Gets 25 MPG and will climb a tree. Only got it stuck once and a 3/4 ton come along pulled it right out. Haven't really had to use it in the snow yet but in rock and mud it just keeps on ticking.

drscott

The old Toyota pickups have been the go to around here for years. The I've been running a 06 Tundra TRD since it was new ( sitting at 280,000 now ) and have been more than impressed. I would highly recommend them. It has pulled out numerous other vehicles. I have also been impressed with the Yokohama Geolander AT tires. I'm on my second set and see no reason to change. The only time I get stuck is when the deep snow takes the tires of the ground. I also have an 88 Toyota pickup and it does great too, but I do like the extra power of the Tundra.

I love my Super Crew FX4 F150. It's a 2010 and has 107K miles and i live a mile from work, and Work from home 2 days a week. (you do the math) I have only replaced the tires (2x) and one set of brake pads. regular Oil changes and preventative maint. makes the difference in all vehicles no matter what you pick.

It's got the room to haul the gear for day and night hunting, comfortable to ride in, and I get almost 600 miles on a tank of gas.

Last weekend, i left Phx, and drove to the Grand Canyon, drove through the rain, sleet, mud, and snow. On the way home had to drive half way in 4X4 high. There was almost 12" of snow on the freeway.
Hunted and slept out in the dirt, mud, snow, all weekend from Friday to Sunday and drove home on that same tank of gas, without needing to refuel.

If i had to deal with snow and stuff a lot.

I would get a trailer and a Samuri and tracked wheels for it. Then you can go anwhere and ride to and from in comfort. Side by sides are nice but twice as expensive as a Sammy.

Last edited:
If I'm buying for looks, it's a dodge, hands down. They've just had the best looking trucks for years. Though I do think the others are generally pretty good looking now as well.

For reliability, the Tundra is top dog. Based on JD power reports, it looks like Chevy/GM is next (and not many points behind Toyota now, surprised me), then Ford & Dodge.

For "most American made", that's the Tundra again. 70% content, engine & transmission are even designed & made here & I think assembly is in TX.

For diesel versions, I'm too ignorant to know who's is best in any way LOL.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI drive a 98 K1500. Some small stuff hasn't held up so well, but in general it's been a good truck. rolled 200,000 on it last month going to the PM hunt in AZ:

IMG_20150130_083625954_zpsyjgtffkn.jpg

While in AZ I was fortunate to enjoy some hunting with bearmanric, who has a pretty new Tundra. I was very impressed after hunting from it & I think the back seat -4 door crew cab- has more room than the front.

I made the mistake of looking at new trucks after we got home. That has me wondering if I can get 15 more years out of my chevy...

I'm 53 now. If I do buy another truck, as much as they cost now the next one just might have to last until I die.

My 98 Chevy 1500 Z71 4X4 Ext Cab had 256K when I sold it last year with the original motor and trans never an overhaul. I know the new owner and it's still going strong. Grizz

Back