22 Creedmoor - Updated with yote down

NorTex250

I received my first custom rifle about 2 weeks ago. I just finished load development and thought I would share.

22 Creedmoor
Trued Remington 700
Spiral fluted bolt
Badger Ordinance knob
8 Twist Benchmark finished at 26"
Remington trigger tuned up
Grey Bull Precision stock
Leupold 20 MOA base
Leopold PRW rings - Soon to be Mark 4
Leopold Mark 4 8.5-25X50 M1 TMR
Cerakote
Weighs in a 13#
Built by Derrick Ratliff - Horizon Firearms

The load I settled on is running a 75gr AMAX at 3470

Last edited:
Sweet rig!! Now go out and get some blood on her
smile.gif

Derrick comes through again. He's got my 260 and should be ready pretty soon. Y'all's photos are making me foam at the mouth as I wait for mine. Good looking rifle and shooting.

That's a very cool rifle you have there. Horizon builds some nice looking sticks, don't they?

What kind of barrel life are you expecting out of the 22cm?

It's like a fast twist 22-250 on steroids I guess? How many steps to forming brass?

I have formed two ways so far.
First I just used 6mm Creedmoor brass and used a Hornady bushing die with .260 bushing to take it partially down then finished sizing with a .253 bushing.

Second is really simple just loaded and fired 22-250 brass with the bullets seated into the lands .030 and fire-formed easy as that.

Shot this group Sunday with my fire-form load as a storm was rolling in with some serious wind gusts . The high right was first shot and I am blaming it on just having cleaned the barrel.
tongue_smilie.gif
My group is not as impressive as NorTex250 but for me it was good.

My necks are .004 thinner with the 22-250 Lapua brass vs the 6mm Creedmoor brass so I ordered a couple of more bushings and I hope to load some ammo with the fire-formed cases tomorrow evening.

Honestly I have plenty of Hornady 6mm Creedmoor brass probably enough to outlast the barrel but just HAD to know if 22-250 brass would be an easy alternative if things ever got tight on Hornady brass.
It was so easy I may not use the 6mm stuff. Final proof will be in how well the next loading shoots with full throttle loads.

I just want everyone to know that my comments in either of these threads was not a put down, merely showing the 22-250 being very close, to me I would just buy a fast twist barrel in 22-250 or for a little more vel you could go with a 22-250AI and still use 22-250 ammo if you choose and have alot more brass availability & brands & run with the 22 Cr.

Originally Posted By: nomosenderoI just want everyone to know that my comments in either of these threads was not a put down, merely showing the 22-250 being very close, to me I would just buy a fast twist barrel in 22-250 or for a little more vel you could go with a 22-250AI and still use 22-250 ammo if you choose and have alot more brass availability & brands & run with the 22 Cr.

I am actually glad you posted and would hope that someone who has an 22-250 AI fast twist might post some velocity info here for comparison.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhThat's a very cool rifle you have there. Horizon builds some nice looking sticks, don't they?

What kind of barrel life are you expecting out of the 22cm?

It's like a fast twist 22-250 on steroids I guess? How many steps to forming brass?

Thanks, If I remember correctly you recommended Donnel and he is no slouch. Buddy of mine just got a 6mm Ackley from him and it is nice.

I used the 6mm Creedmoor brass from GAP and used a .262 and a .253 (I think) bushing in a redding Type S and it worked out very well.

I went with the 22 Creedmoor because I didn't want to fireform for the 22-250AI and I guess the Creedmoor sounded cooler than a 22-243. That being said the 22-243 is undoubtedly the easier option as the dies are readily available and some reloading data exists. It is also a hair faster but I'm hoping to get a little more barrel life with this set up. A very wise cat once told me nothing is free though.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: nomosenderoI just want everyone to know that my comments in either of these threads was not a put down, merely showing the 22-250 being very close, to me I would just buy a fast twist barrel in 22-250 or for a little more vel you could go with a 22-250AI and still use 22-250 ammo if you choose and have alot more brass availability & brands & run with the 22 Cr.

I am actually glad you posted and would hope that someone who has an 22-250 AI fast twist might post some velocity info here for comparison.

Very nice setup you have their, I'm running a 22-250AI with a 26 " Pacnor SM
8 twist and pushing the 75Amax at 3350 - 3400 with h4831sc and a little faster with 4350

Originally Posted By: NorTex250

Thanks, If I remember correctly you recommended Donnel and he is no slouch. Buddy of mine just got a 6mm Ackley from him and it is nice.

I actually have only used Triple G Gunsmithing in Stephenville, but I know of Donnel (G&G I think is his shop). I had heard he does BR rifles in addition to the racing engines he has done for years.

Originally Posted By: NorTex250Oh OK who is Triple G?

His name is Garland. Been building rifles for many years. He's out east of town on hwy 377 toward Granbury

Last edited:
Got to open the season this weekend with a double! I took my wife for get first hunt and we had five or six headed our way about two minutes after I turned the call on.

She hit the bigger male at 90yds with the 204 and I followed up on the little guy at 58yds with the 22 Creedmoor.

Terminal performance of the 75gr Amax was impressive to say the least. It hit him like a bus and it's a good thing I'm not keeping pelts.

I make some of my 6.5 Creedmoor brass from 22/250 brass with the CoW method using 18 gr of Unique. Forms them out about 98% . . I got tired of all the work involved resizing brass from the 308 family !!!
Beautiful looking and shooting rifle.

Back