22 Creedmoor - Updated with yote down

I ordered 5lbs of H4831SC that came in today so I decided to load some up. I loaded one up at the same charge that I was running the H4831 and test fired it (yeah I know your supposed to back off on new batches of powder) everything appeared fine so I loaded up 10 more and went to the range to make sure they still grouped the same.

At the last minute I decided to set up my Chrono and fire them through it. The first thing I noticed was the POI was about an inch high. the bolt lift was fine and the brass and primers looked ok. I'm not going to say there are no pressure signs at all because it is a hot load but there was nothing out of the ordinary and I have fired about 75 rounds at this charge weight with the standard powder and had no problems.

Then I looked up at the Chrono and it was registering 3644fps. I assumed it was a mistake as this is about 170 fps faster than the only other string I had clocked. Then the next one was 3688, then 3672, and the 10 shot average, all of which I got a reading on, was 3663 with an ES of 44fps.

I started thinking about it and the other string I had clocked only picked up 3 or 4 of the shots fired. Then a few days later I shot at 200, 300, 400, and 500 to get an accurate drop chart and when I plugged the drops into my ballistic calculator to get an idea for 600 and 700 it corrected the velocity to almost 3700fps...

I'm beginning to believe that the velocity I got today is the more correct velocity... I was hoping someone with quickload could plug these numbers in for me and help me verify this?

The cartridge is a 6mm Creedmoor case necked down to .224, CCI primer, 46.0gr H4831, 75gr amax, COAL 2.665" , Brass length is 1.925" and the rifle has a 26" barrel.

Any input is appreciated and if I need to provide any additional info please let me know.

I have had several of the 22/250 AI's but I shot 60g Bergers at 3700 with37.0g of Win 760 with fed 210 primers, tiny, tiny groups. Mine was a 1-12 twists. Back off on your load if you try this in your 8 twist, because pressure will be higher due to twist rate.

From what I remember, your 3475 is right there with a 22/250 AI with the 75's from what I have heard from a friend. If you want more velocity, then go with a faster powder, win 760 or H414.
the 4350's are right there with win 760 and H414.

Love to hear of your success, depending on the range you are shooting, then you might want to try some of the 60g V max. The 55's will probably not be able to touch the lands if your rifle is throated for the 75's.

Ackleyman

I never expected to get much over 3500fps. I'm not looking for more speed, just not sure I believe what I'm seeing. So far I'm loving the 75's, about 8 total kills on a few different species and so far they have all been impressive.

The one out was my first one and it sure looked pretty by itself

That same load shot very well for me also but my Magneto-Speed says from my 24 inch barrel an average velocity of 3440fps with the same bullet and twist rate.

The gun shoots better than I do but for a bipod and a rear bag I will take that group!

That velocity is with the load listed above.

So 3470 is more realistic with the extra 2". I thought this had to be the case but after considering the calculator and having 10 in a row read in the same ballpark I just wasn't sure.

Now for my next two questions - why did my chrono read that fast and why does my ballistic calculator need that speed to get the correct drop?

I double checked my chrono and it was unfolded completely and I used the diffusers. I know the magnetospeed is a far superior unit; I just couldn't justify it for information that is optional and somewhat irrelevant. Maybe I was wrong.

Originally Posted By: NorTex250So 3470 is more realistic with the extra 2". I thought this had to be the case but after considering the calculator and having 10 in a row read in the same ballpark I just wasn't sure.

Now for my next two questions - why did my chrono read that fast and why does my ballistic calculator need that speed to get the correct drop?

I double checked my chrono and it was unfolded completely and I used the diffusers. I know the magnetospeed is a far superior unit; I just couldn't justify it for information that is optional and somewhat irrelevant. Maybe I was wrong.

Your chrono may be correct. I would give it another testing under different lighting and if it still reads the higher speeds then it is probably correct. I have had mine give way different numbers from session to session.
Bullet drop don't lie so it may be your barrel is giving those speeds. Mine started getting sticky bolt at much above 3500.

A couple of old benchrest guys I know chamber their fast .22's in 22x47L. With 38-39gns of h4350 pushing the Berger 80.5's, they are getting 3400-3500 from 26" 8tw's. Been thinking that I might need to spin one up for S&G's.

Last edited:
I have a .22-250 AI with a PacNor 1/8" twist 26" long bbl. I don't recall the charge of N550, but it was stout. When I chrono'd it, it was right around 3,500 with the 75 Amax. It shoots incredibly flat and is super accurate to boot. The N550 is really tough to find, so I'll probably start working up a load with 4831 or the like. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75A couple of old benchrest guys I know chamber their fast .22's in 22x47L. With 38-39gns of h335 pushing the Berger 80.5's, they are getting 3400-3500 from 26" 8tw's. Been thinking that I might need to spin one up for S&G's.

H4350 is the powder and they are getting over 3,400 fps from a 24" barrel and the other is just under 3,300 fps with a 21" barrel.

I have been having good luck with the new Reloder 26.
80gr AMax in my 22 Creedmoor from 24 inch barrel is running 3560fps.
Shoots great and works great on coyotes.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanvenatic, are you running Lapua 22/250 brass, or xyz brand, or Creed brass?

thanks in advance

This batch is Hornady 6mm Creedmoor brass downsized.
I still have a batch loaded with Lapua 22-250 brass but they are loaded with 77 gr Sierra TMK's

What dies are you using, if I may ask? I am about to buy a reamer for this cartridge, and have a 6 creedmoor coming from Beanland in a couple of months. Was wondering if I can get away with just a few extra bushings for the 6cm dies and a seater.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: ackleymanvenatic, are you running Lapua 22/250 brass, or xyz brand, or Creed brass?

thanks in advance

This batch is Hornady 6mm Creedmoor brass downsized.
I still have a batch loaded with Lapua 22-250 brass but they are loaded with 77 gr Sierra TMK's

Why you gotta bust my chops, homey?

Originally Posted By: OK243Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75A couple of old benchrest guys I know chamber their fast .22's in 22x47L. With 38-39gns of h335 pushing the Berger 80.5's, they are getting 3400-3500 from 26" 8tw's. Been thinking that I might need to spin one up for S&G's.

H4350 is the powder and they are getting over 3,400 fps from a 24" barrel and the other is just under 3,300 fps with a 21" barrel.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Why you gotta bust my chops, homey?

Originally Posted By: OK243Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75A couple of old benchrest guys I know chamber their fast .22's in 22x47L. With 38-39gns of h335 pushing the Berger 80.5's, they are getting 3400-3500 from 26" 8tw's. Been thinking that I might need to spin one up for S&G's.

Just didn't want you spreading false information!

Back