What's your favorite Upland Shotgun??

Originally Posted By: KansasCowboy
Brittmansfavorites002.jpg

Browning BSS , Ruger Gold, Sig Arms SA5 (Rizzini)

Man, I'd love to have a BSS. I love the feel of a SxS. That's a gorgeous shotgun!

I scrimped and saved for a long time to buy a Ruger Red Label. It's a 12 gauge, 26" barrels. and I lucked out with a nice straight grained piece of wood. It fits me perfectly, and will always hold a special place. I've dove hunted with it for years, and always shoot my best sporting clays scores with it.

However, it has been replaced in the dove fields with a Stoeger Uplander 12 gauge. I love the look, feel and sight picture of a SxS, and the Stoeger fits me as well as the Red Label. The newest addition is a Stoeger Longfowler that my wife bought for me at the BPS Hunting Classic. It's 12 gauge, SxS, 30" barrels, single trigger, very nice satin finished wood and a real nice matte finish on all of the metal. It's a very "classic" looking shotgun and I can't wait to get some shells thru it.

Wow! All these purdy shotguns. Pumps O/Us,semi autos etc. I'm starting to feel a little jealous of all the fancy stuff floating around out there. All i got is a 30 year old Ithaca 37. It ain't worth taking a picture of the worn off blueing, flaking finish on the stock or tiny little rust spots on the tube.

Last edited:
Krieghoff 32, I shot a Krieghoff 32 Monte Carlo grade 4 barrel set until about 2 months ago someone wanted it to add the their collection more than I wanted it . Now I'm shooting a LT -20 Remington 1100 talking about a change 1100 are what i started with years ago and for what little clay shooting I do now it will fit the bill. Ive shot just about every O/U out there . Just to many variables to say what is best .But K guns are up there.

Originally Posted By: KenlguyWow! All these purdy shotguns. Pumps O/Us,semi autos etc. I'm starting to feel a little jealous of all the fancy stuff floating around out there. All i got is a 30 year old Ithaca 37. It ain't worth taking a picture of the worn off blueing, flaking finish on the stock or tiny little rust spots on the tube.

Those are the guns I really like the best. I have an old Remington 870 worn silver and most of the finish is off the stock from hunting for many years and lots of miles in all weather conditions. It isn't for sale... period. I hold it in so high regard that I tote either one of the two Benelli M1S90 semi-auto's I have, or the Weatherby or Beretta O/U's in the field now. I take out my old friend 870 for special occasions and carefully clean it after use and place in the safe where it doesn't get dinged up. Doesn't make sense to beat up the more expensive guns, but it feels right to take special care of a valued old gun like the 870 with so many memories.

Guys, those are all very nice shotguns.

I mainly shoot and HK o/u 12GA, an HK/Fabarms Red Lion 2 12 semi, or an 870. ( I occasionaly shoot S&W shotguns as well)

The Fabarms is my go to upland gun, as a friend of mine won it in a sales promotion when he worked for HK, and gave to it to me "for being a great friend" he said.lol so it has a ton on sentimental attachment tied into it.

A very nice SXS of some sort, and a Benelli Vinci Or Berretta Xplor are in my future also

Fin

I have lusted after one of these since the 1960's and finally found one I could afford and bought it as a retirement gift to myself. Darne 12ga 28" SxS weight right at 6 lbs, what a pleasure to carry all day, use it for huns, sharpies and pheasant.

shotgunsSKBDarne016.jpg

Unique action is very strong, they still make double rifles on this action.

shotgunsSKBDarne017.jpg

Browning Citori in 20ga.
I still on occasion carry my first real gun, a Savage Mdl 67 12ga. lots of memories carrying it as a kid in OH. In a few years I'll give it to my grandson.

Originally Posted By: AWSI have lusted after one of these since the 1960's and finally found one I could afford and bought it as a retirement gift to myself. Darne 12ga 28" SxS weight right at 6 lbs, what a pleasure to carry all day, use it for huns, sharpies and pheasant.

AWS,,, That Darne is fantastic! I've never even seen one in person, let alone owned one, but I've read allot about them. Steve Bodio (Book reviewer for Greys and author of Good Guns) touts the Darn as one of the "Best Guns" ever, and I put allot of faith in his writings. I'd like it even better in 20 or even 16 but that 12 would do nicely.
Very nice sir!!!!!!!

My favs are my old 16ga Elsie by Hunter Arms.
001ihh.jpg

My 16ga F.A.I.R. Rizzini.
003wn.jpg

And my 20ga Merkel. (Also a retirement present.)
002lkt.jpg

I'd trade ya the Rizzini for your Darn, but not the Merkel. It's as close to a magic wand as any scatter gun I've fired. Love that little gun.

By far my favorite is a franchi 48al 20 ga 28". Had the pitch cut to 5 degrees and pachmyer sc100 pad installed. Thing never has a failure and is light as a feather at 5lbs 9oz. Right now I am giving it a torture test to see how many rounds with no cleaning till it fails. I'm up to 650 rounds plus dropped it in the sand haven't cleaned it in aobut 9 months (except the barrel). No failures yet.

When you are hiking to the treeline at 12,000 feet you want a 48!
091_zpsa71acd5c.jpg

Just traded in my beretta 3901 for the a300 outlander. Its lighter weight and I hope it works out well for 12 ga duty on jackrabbits, pheasant,coyote, and ducks. The 2 3/4 20 ga just leave something to be desired on those jackrabbits.

Back